PDA

View Full Version : awsome large sandcast buckle

castletonking
07-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Today I was detecting around an old home here in Vermont,the home was built in the 1760's and is not too far from the Hubbardton Battlefield.I found this awesome large brass buckle approximately a foot in the ground,unfortunately it is bent a little.Across the street from this house,same property I found a King George,lasy year. The house and property are located on the old east west road,now old route 4a. the route was used by the American,British,French and German soldiers.my property borders this one and I have found numerous flat buttons,knee buckles,shoe buckles and the like. any idea on what this large buckle might have been? it is about the size of the palm of my hand,and appears to be sand cast brass.there is a 5 etched into it on the back. thanks for any help you can provide on identifying it[attachimg=1].

del
07-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Castletonking , these type of buckles have been up for much debate on many forums . Some say they are older 1600 era type buckles and some say they are more 1800 era ones but no one seems to pin down the exact time frame . I myself have recovered some and have seen some found at early 1700 era sites and mid 1800 era sites. almost all that i've personally seen are on the bigger size (all about an inch and half or larger in width on the inside) and made from a brass or brass-alloy and sturdy construction. I am convinced they area a type of baldric buckle for a shoulder belt to hold a sword , pistol , cartidge box or even a bugle or musical instrument. they could have been used in the military but i don't think they were issued by a government but more of a individual item a soldier might purchase. hope this helps some .

Dan

castletonking
07-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Castletonking , these type of buckles have been up for much debate on many forums . Some say they are older 1600 era type buckles and some say they are more 1800 era ones but no one seems to pin down the exact time frame . I myself have recovered some and have seen some found at early 1700 era sites and mid 1800 era sites. almost all that i've personally seen are on the bigger size (all about an inch and half or larger in width on the inside) and made from a brass or brass-alloy and sturdy construction. I am convinced they area a type of baldric buckle for a shoulder belt to hold a sword , pistol , cartidge box or even a bugle or musical instrument. they could have been used in the military but i don't think they were issued by a government but more of a individual item a soldier might purchase. hope this helps some .

Dan

good info,yup this is a good 2 inches on the inside,its as big as my palm for sure

Lodge Scent
07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Very cool buckle :congrats:

coinnut
07-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Nice early buckle :clapping: You don't find too many of those these days. They scream even at 12 lol

castletonking
07-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Nice early buckle :clapping: You don't find too many of those these days. They scream even at 12 lol
any idea what kind it is?,some say boldric

coinnut
07-29-2013, 09:44 PM
any idea what kind it is?,some say boldric

I have always thought of these buckles as early 1700's era. But that is just a guess based on lack of finding a lot of them at 1800's sites. I'm thinking the same as Dan as for their uses. Some call them Bat Wing buckles. Either way it is an early buckle, one that is not found that often. :clapping:

Looking around on the internet and some say it can also be a belt buckle

tanacat
08-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Cool buckle |:cheering:

I bet an olive oil bath will make it look nice- looks like design under the dirt...

Did you clean it up yet?

castletonking
08-01-2013, 09:58 PM
yup I cleaned it up,that design is on the back,it appears to be from casting.