PDA

View Full Version : just a very few of my many field finds

castletonking
07-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Here are a few items I've found in my field,which is near the site of the Castleton skirmish as well as the Hubbardton Battle field.The penny next to the 2 largest lead balls I've found is just for size comparison.those are 2 of dozens of lead balls of various sizes that I have.I find so amny it's almost not a thrill to dig them anymore..although I guess it's always exciting to pull history from the ground.Always wondering if it was American or English hands who loaded it,given the extensive revolutionary history this area of Castleton VT. holds and the fact that my land was a campground.
[attachimg=1]

del
07-27-2013, 08:00 AM
very nice knee buckle and powder flask pouring spout :smitten:

OxShoeDrew
07-27-2013, 09:06 AM
...and that ball button looks like it was dropped yesterday :yes:

castletonking
07-27-2013, 09:14 AM
were ball buttons part of uniforms or regular clothing? I'd assume that with gold plate it wasn't an everyday thing.

coinnut
07-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Great looking finds!! You may be able to tell who was using which musket balls by the caliber. There may be some records somewhere that tell of the provisions bought. They may include the size of the roundshot used. I throw all my musket balls in a slender tube and display them that way. Nice finds. :clapping:

Epi-hunter
07-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Great finds!!! |:cheering:

I have found one musket ball in my life (and I'm not even completely sure it's a musket ball). I like seeing the old relics... wish I could dig more of them.

milco
07-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Looks like that place has potential! Good luck!

OxShoeDrew
07-28-2013, 01:22 PM
I think those ball buttons are more civilian, but I'm certainly no expert. I've only found a few that had both parts. I hope you have lots more land to cover. Love the shield penny lol

castletonking
07-28-2013, 01:46 PM
I think those ball buttons are more civilian, but I'm certainly no expert. I've only found a few that had both parts. I hope you have lots more land to cover. Love the shield penny lol
lol thanx the penny is for scale lmao!!!