PDA

View Full Version : Stone in Cufflink

OxShoeDrew
07-27-2013, 05:57 PM
I visited a beautiful cellar hole that had so many walls/pens that it took my breath away. :shocked04: ...or maybe that was the hike in :grin:
Anyhow, it was so pounded >:tongue: that this cufflink was the only target I dug away from the hole.
Not pictured is a nice IH, harmonic reed, and button that I dug on the lip with my 5in coil.
This stone has 18 facets....I think. Glass? Diamond? As always, thank you for your help |:confused:)

Epi-hunter
07-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Wow! :clapping:

(As usual, I can't help lol but it's really nice!)

coinnut
07-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Nice hit Drew thumbsup01 If the stone is glass, there is a very good chance you can see the abrasion on the corners of the facets. Diamond would show no wear on the edges.

del
07-27-2013, 06:35 PM
nice gold gilted cufflink Drew , one of the first i've seen with the stone |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
07-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Wow! :clapping:

(As usual, I can't help lol but it's really nice!)

Angie, have you noticed how many threads I've started in the What is it area? >:{ lol

George, Thank you |:confused:) :clapping:
I'd guess it's real as there are no chips, the lines are smooth. :frozen: :frozen: ICE BABYYYY!! :frozen: :frozen: lol

OxShoeDrew
07-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks Dan, to that point in the hunt I was happy to dig anything, it rang up very low....in the nickel gold range. I dug it carelessly, thinking it was a shotgun shell. But now... BABY GETS NEW SHOES!!!!! lol

coinnut
07-27-2013, 06:55 PM
George, Thank you |:confused:) :clapping:
I'd guess it's real as there are no chips, the lines are smooth. :frozen: :frozen: ICE BABYYYY!! :frozen: :frozen: lol

Easy Big Boy :shocked04: Could be a CZ too lol The cut looks old and it could still be a low grade diamond. Keep your day job for now thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
07-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Angie, have you noticed how many threads I've started in the What is it area? >:{ lol

Probably fewer than the times I've said I have absolutely no clue. rofl

You could try seeing if it scratches a mirror. I think that is supposed to distinguish CZ from the real deal.

Or is that a myth? :thinkingabout: (On second thought, don't listen to me) lol

OxShoeDrew
07-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Easy Big Boy :shocked04: Could be a CZ too lol The cut looks old and it could still be a low grade diamond. Keep your day job for now thumbsup01

My wife just looked at it and said there's no clarity to it. :shocked04:verreaction: Too bad, as it's her bday present lol
Oh well, easy come easy go....A la Ralph Kramdon.
Oh and forget that request of mine to change my name to OxBlingDrew. :grin:

OxShoeDrew
07-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Probably fewer than the times I've said I have absolutely no clue. rofl

You could try seeing if it scratches a mirror. I think that is supposed to distinguish CZ from the real deal.

I don't know? I'll read up on it. :dontknow:

coinnut
07-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Find someone with a diamond tester just for the fun of it. If it is a diamond, it would be the bottom of the barrel mostly because of the way it is set. There is no open back to bring the light through it, and the small number of facets doesn't lend itself to give you that dazzle of a nice stone. Plus there is probably a lot of dirt still around and even under it. But a real nice piece either way

z118
07-29-2013, 11:29 AM

I think it is a myth... most things will scratch glass, including other pieces of glass!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

Great cufflink Drew!

Thiltzy
07-29-2013, 03:33 PM
:wow:what a great, unique find Drew. :perfect10:

OxShoeDrew
07-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone, yeah it did scratch glass... but I too read that it isn't a good test. :dontknow: