PDA

View Full Version : Only one silver coin today, but it was a good one.

Tony Two-Cent
07-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Unbelievably pleasant weather here today, mostly sunny with a high of 72. Very mild weather for July! So I decided to go for a relaxing hunt at a familiar park that I've hunted to death, just to see if I could coax any more old coins from the ground. Alas, after 3 hours the only old coins I had found were two wheat cents, so I opted to drive 2 towns over and try a park that I had hunted only once before.

This site was where the old grade school built in 1908 used to be in this town, but they tore down the school and turned the site into a city park. The other time I hunted here last year I found 2 Indian Heads and a Mercury Dime, so I knew there were possibly some old coins there.

I was the only person at the park, with the expection of a young girl who was sitting on a swing. I noticed that she was watching me intently. Pretty soon she approached me and asked me what I was looking for. I told her that I was looking for old coins. Now, sometimes kids can drive me nuts, but she was very well-mannered and polite. I found out that her name is Christina and she is 12 years old. She took a keen interest in my detecting, and asked what the numbers on my E-Trac display meant. I told her that I mostly pay attention to the second number, and 13 is sometimes a nickel, 44 a penny, 46 a dime and 47 a quarter. She began watching the screen and when I got a signal she would tell me what it was going to be. :)

Most kids will get bored and wander off after 15-20 minutes, but she stuck by my side for FOUR STRAIGHT HOURS! :shocked04: :stretcher:

I wasn't finding anything but clad, so I started letting her retrieve the targets. I would dig the plug and then use my target probe and tell her if the object was in the hole or in the plug. She would then dig around with her fingers until she found the object. She must have been having a good time to have stuck with it for that long. :lol:

Anyway, towards the end of the hunt I got a solid 12-45 signal at 5 deep. She had been trying to predict every target, but she wasn't sure what a 12-45 would be. I told her that it could be a penny or a dime. I was definitely shocked when a seated dime came out of the hole! :shocked04:

My first one of the year! :happy: I found six of them last year, but I was starting to worry that I wasn't going to find any this year.

About 6 feet from the seated dime I found a 1906 Indian Head. By this time it was getting late in the day so I bid farewell to my new friend and called it a day.

Here are my finds for today:

Not many old coins today. I'm glad I got the seated, otherwise it would have been a rather mediocre hunt.

This 1944 wheat cent has been shot... twice!

My seventh all-time seated dime, but my first 1888:

I like finding the old play coins that have a date on them:

The lid still lifts up on this old pocket watch. Unfortunately the back and insides are missing.

Anybody have any idea what this is? You can get an idea of the size from the first photo. Ornamental brass object with a hook at the bottom. I don't have a clue.

That's it! Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Ill Digger
07-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Pretty eventful day of detecting.... and teaching! lol thumbsup01
And you even found a couple nice keepers! |:cheering:
The seated is a sweet find for sure! :drool: :cool:
Congrats! :grin:

This wheat cent had been shot... twice!
Looks like they got their moneys worth out of that one! lol

Anybody have any idea what this is? You can get an idea of the size from the first photo. Ornamental brass object with a hook at the bottom. I don't have a clue.

:thinkingabout: I think thats a button hook Tony. ::huh::
A buddy found one once. And he showed me one he had at home. ;)

giant056
07-28-2013, 04:50 AM
Great score on the old seated, Indian and wheats thumbsup01 I've found a wheat with a bullet hole but never one with two holes in it :)

aloldstuff
07-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Great hunting and finds. To spend 4 hours with you Christina must have been captivated with the process. Did she ask any questions about the seated dime or the silver dance that you did? :hysterical:

Perfect weather, great company, can't ask for more than that. :congrats:

angellionel
07-28-2013, 06:51 AM
Neat experience! She was no doubt having a lot fun! :clapping: Great score on the seated dime. They seem to always catch you by surprise, popping up when you least expect them to. lol A fun hunt with some sweet keepers. Hopefully you will get a chance to hit that place again soon enough. :yes:

OxShoeDrew
07-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Did she ask any questions about the seated dime or the silver dance that you did?
lol
I bet she was shocked to see such an old coin...and learned a lot while having a blast |:cheering: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
(Nice ID Ill Digger)

milco
07-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Great finds Tony, congrats on the seated!!

mike l
07-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Nice hunt Tony, I can't believe the little girl stuck around for 4 hours, I bet she's begging her mom and dad for a detector right now lol. Cool finds, gotta love digging those Seated's. I was lucky enough to get one this weekend too. I will post shortly |:cheering:

coinnut
07-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Poor girl's mom has probably been listening to I want a metal detector ever since she got home lol Nice hunt Tony. You are a more patient man than I :girlcry: Sweet Seated :clapping:

Epi-hunter
07-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Not sure how I missed this.... 8/

That seated is a beauty for sure! :drool: :drool: There's nothing quite like seeing one of those come out of the ground. (Relying on my distant memory here to recall what that felt like :embarrassed: )

Kudos to you for being so patient with the girl, too! I'm sure it was an experience that she won't forget. (Who knows.... maybe in ten years we'll see her on this forum, saying I'll never forget that man in the park who got me interested in metal detecting... thumbsup01 )

Lodge Scent
07-28-2013, 07:21 PM
That's a great hunt Tony!

z118
07-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Nice work Tony, both on the sweet seated and for making a new friend! I'm lucky to get one seated a year maybe, but no luck so far yet this year! :crossfingers: The button hook is pretty cool too... congrats!

swamp yankee
07-28-2013, 09:01 PM

Hi TonyTC, The Gizmo w/ hook kinda looks like an old boot lace tightner to me but very ornate for that purpose. HH.....

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-28-2013, 09:17 PM
that poor wheatie! crying01 nice seated! that was the same year as my 1st seated! congrats!

PL8MAN
07-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Sweet finds , love the beat up wheaty thumbsup01
Glen

RobW
07-29-2013, 07:23 AM
Hey....a kid could follow me for 4 hours if they're going o dig all my holes too!.... rofl

Congrats on the seated :clapping:...I haven't found one yet this year either >{

Bell-Two
07-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Well that is a great single silver my friend! Congrats on your first seated of the year. It won't be the last!

del
07-31-2013, 02:56 AM
:wow: the whole 4 hours :shocked03: you should of found out where her parents lived and charged them some money for baby sittin lol lol it amazes me how some parents are so laxed and don't seem to care where their kids are or what their doing and with who'm , nothing against you Tony you are a stand up guy with great character but what if she had met up or was curious about someone of very low moral or character .

sorry, enough of that kind of thinking , great seated dime Tony |:confused:) |:confused:)
i think Tim's idea about the HOOK LIKE item is a good one , well better than sagegrouse's anyways lol rofl

Tony Two-Cent
07-31-2013, 07:57 AM
it amazes me how some parents are so laxed and don't seem to care where their kids are or what their doing and with who'm , nothing against you Tony you are a stand up guy with great character but what if she had met up or was curious about someone of very low moral or character.

Trust me, I had the same kind of thoughts, Dan. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that it was a tiny town with a population of 189 where everybody knows everybody. Nevertheless, the girl didn't know me and I could have been an unsavory character. I think the poor girl was just really bored and there was no one else in the park for her to interact with.