PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm crazy but ...

bob_e99
07-28-2013, 10:53 AM
after seeing Angel's three months of silver I find myself tired of digging clad so I was wondering if anyone knows of places you can pay to detect where the chances of finding older coins is higher than normal. Not seeded places but untouched locations. I figure people pay to go on a cruise and this kind of a vacation would certainly be relaxing to me. I know there are group hunts like that but I'm not sure I want to hunt with 50 or 100 other people.

Thanks for any input even if you want to call me nuts.

pocketsofdirt
07-28-2013, 11:32 AM
try the inside banks of your local river. people have allways camped by rivers. remember outside banks change inside just get father away

del
07-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Bob they do have something like that for relic hunters . Its called DIV hunts (Digging in Virginia ) where they lease private property from a land owner for a weekend that has some kimd of Civil war history to it . one of these days i'll get myself down there for a hunt .

coinnut
07-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Bob, try and find some older property in the woods and just make a day of it. Coins and relics are everywhere. Just go where no man has gone before lol Sorta. Or you could plan a vacation to an older place anywhere on the east coast and just detect non stop. You will find old items.

bob_e99
07-29-2013, 06:37 AM
First, thank you all for responding to my post.

try the inside banks of your local river. people have allways camped by rivers. remember outside banks change inside just get father away

Thank you for the suggestion but I have hunted river banks (got a ton of lead weights and some nice lures). I also know a few spots that really look promising right in the water (very old swimming spots) but unfortunately the river drops off (and I really mean drops) pretty quickly and would make detecting in the water pretty dangerous. We just had a recent incident of a gentleman trying to retrieve a lure who took one step in and vanished. I don't know that they have found the body yet.

Bob they do have something like that for relic hunters . Its called DIV hunts (Digging in Virginia ) where they lease private property from a land owner for a weekend that has some kimd of Civil war history to it . one of these days i'll get myself down there for a hunt .

This is definitely along the lines of what I was thinking. I know detecting clubs do it up here for group hunts but I never thought of doing it myself and I also don't know that these clubs would appreciate individuals approaching property owners. Thank you for the information Dan.

Bob, try and find some older property in the woods and just make a day of it. Coins and relics are everywhere. Just go where no man has gone before lol Sorta. Or you could plan a vacation to an older place anywhere on the east coast and just detect non stop. You will find old items.

Trust me. I have done woods and really enjoy doing woods (Poison ivy and mosquitoes I can almost tolerate but this year I won the big prize - lyme disease) . I have also done a week long trip around New Hampshire and Maine with pretty much nothing to show for it. (Definitely don't have my son's skills). But your suggestion to leave the area is pretty good and will start researching further out.

Lastly, I understand that detecting requires patience and that everyone that looks at this site wants great results. I started detecting late and don't have the benefit of a lot of years ahead of me so I would just like to experience a really awesome hunt once and I'm willing to pay for that.

:groovy:

Thanks again everyone.