PDA

View Full Version : Grenade and silver Thaler

Johan K
07-30-2013, 02:38 AM
Few weeks ago I searched on an acre where they used to dump trash and rubbish during for century's, that was very comon that time. Good for goodies ! Quite deep i've beeped an small silver coin, commonly named as Thaler (12th piece of the value). There's a nice story to it : i'ts German, in that time (16th / 17th century) you could pay with it in our country as well, because...silver is silver ! We called it a daalder, or rijksdaalder (reichsthaler in german). That means: a coin of the state. As you all know, the US was visited bij Dutch sailers and immigrants way back and took the daalder with them: and here we are : the Dollar (Thaler - Daalder) was born. So you are looking at the forfather of the dollar.....amazing story or what ! After that find I moved to another spot. There I found a handgrenade from the second WW, had it in my hand...looked at it....thought : :omg: :shocked04: haha. I've put it back, called the experts and marked it with a :usaflag:. When I found it a said to my buddy who was walking next to me : do you want a nice relic ? He went to me and looked into the hole and did it almost in his pants haha.

Well, my english is a little bit rusty, I hope you guys understand something of my story haha.

aloldstuff
07-30-2013, 05:35 AM
I'd be leaving that hand grenade in the hole also. Nice silver coin and I had no problem understanding your post. |:cheering:

RobW
07-30-2013, 07:26 AM
:shocked04:.....a live ordinance.... :shocked04:

At least you did a good deed too...by making the world a little safer thumbsup01

coinnut
07-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Lucky you dig nice or you could find that grenade the hard way :behave: lol Glad you are safe. The coin is a very well struck coin and a great find. I'm pretty sure we all want to go detecting with you :detecting: lol Nice pictures!!

Tony Two-Cent
07-30-2013, 10:03 AM
I love the thaler! What an incredible old silver coin! :loveit:

But the hand grenade is scary! :shocked04: As the Cubs fans say at Wrigley Field: Throw it back! Throw it back! lol

And your English is just fine! |:cheering:

del
07-31-2013, 05:56 AM
Talk about an extreme day detecting Johan , you go from a :shocked04: WOW because of a great looking old coin to a WOW :shocked03: please don't let this grenade blow me to smithereens that is nerve racking :needadrink: glad it wasn't very live and you came out unscathed .

Dan