PDA

View Full Version : Indians-Civil War Store Card!

Bell-Two
07-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Monday was a gorgeous day just begging us to go out and hunt. Doug, Malachi, Diane and I decided to go to the old park and try our luck there. This place has given us many good finds over the last couple of years but it is much more difficult to find an old coin there. We have found Seated dimes, Seated Quarter, Barber dimes, Indians, Two Cent pieces, Shield Nickels, V-Nickels and more. Today the hunting was tough as usual, nails and junk with virtually every target you dig. Diane scored first with a very crusty Indian Head, 1903 which fortunately cleaned up nice. Doug found an intact Pocket Watch which hopefully will be able to be opened at some point he also had 4 wheats at this time. I was next on the board, after checking out a very jumpy signal that was bouncing around a 38 to 41 on the conductive range on the E-Trac I dug my target. First out of the hole was a square nail and a bit of can slaw and then using my X-1 probe I got a very nice sound and I retrieved at about 8” a small disc that turned out to be a Civil War Store Card! This card is marked:

W.G Brain…Cash…Druggist…Merchant St. Springfield O. The reverse has the Indian Head and dated 1863. I found this in Rulau’s “United States Tokens 1700-1900 listed as a R-3 rarity. Doug then found an Indian and I finished with a 1911 wheat. Diane then got a Hem Weight which has a mark on it that is hard to read. A 5 hour hunt that produced only a few good keepers but we were all very satisfied with what we found.

Hunting With Bell-Two #122 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVWyeCp6KC0&feature=em-share_video_user#ws)

Tony Two-Cent
07-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Those are some really neat finds, Tony, especially that civil war era store card! |:cheering:

It's simply amazing how much treasure these old parks hold. Even after decades of detecting they still give up keepers. :yes:

:congrats:

Thiltzy
07-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Nice finds bell :clapping: I would put that 1903 IH in hot peroxide for 2 mins each side then q-tip while still wet. Tooth pick if needed.

Bell-Two
07-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Nice finds bell :clapping: I would put that 1903 IH in hot peroxide for 2 mins each side then q-tip while still wet. Tooth pick if needed.

Might give that a try.

Lodge Scent
07-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Very cool token :wow:

milco
07-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Very sweet finds, congrats on the CW token!

aloldstuff
07-31-2013, 06:41 AM
I have always wanted to find a civil war token and :congrats: to you for finding one. I think that the hem weight is the first one I have seen with a design on it.

The video just reinforces that no park is ever hunted out.

Thanks for posting.

OxShoeDrew
07-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Yeah Al, I was thinking the same thing about the hem weight.
Nice work finding all those keepers at a hunted spot. thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-31-2013, 09:04 PM
another successful hunt! love diggin CW tokens |:cheering: