PDA

View Full Version : Canadian LC from sidewalk project

milco
08-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I am having a real tough time on cleaning this one, but I keep picking away at it and soaking it. I would really like to get a date on it, but I don't think it is going to happen.

coinnut
08-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Hey milco, I'm assuming you are using a wooken toothpick (or fiberglass)? You can try hot hydrogen peroxide as one way to do it. If the corrosion on the back is as high as it appears, you can gently (and flatly) tap it with a hammer, to lightly break apart some of the corrosion. I do see some red behind that corrosion in the lower level portions, and that is a bad color lol It will take a combination of different techniques to get at the date.

del
08-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Darren , the very hard mineral looking dirt thats like cement and very stubborn to remove is the worse . i've had some success removing it by first soaking the coin in water for a few minutes then placing the coin on a napkin and putting it in the freezer . after about an hour or two i dropped the coin in very very hot water . sometimes the shrinking and expanding of the metal like this can cause the hard cement like dirt to weaken its hold on the coins detail. after this (sometimes it takes a couple of tries) the toothpick seems to remove this hard dirt a bit easier.

Dan

milco
08-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll keep working at it and post pictures as I keep working on it.