PDA

View Full Version : Hard Times Token and Old early Bracelet

Thiltzy
08-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Dave's worst day ever detecting turned out to be pretty good for me.

Earlier in the week Dave and I got another invite from our friend John to hunt some cellar holes with him in Rhode Island. After miles of hiking into the woods, we finally came upon a few cellar holes that we had mapped out the night before. We certainly weren't the first to hunt these as the targets were very hard to come by. We even saw some fresh dig holes a some of these sites :hairpulling: I was able to squeak out a few nice keepers amongst the 5 holes we visited.

I nabbed a nice old bracelet from one of the sites. Everything from this site seemed old so I assume the bracelet is an early relic piece. The last site of the day is where I found my first Hard Times Token which I think is an 1837 piece. John pulled a beautiful 1797 Draped Bust from the same site and another old copper that we could not ID at the time.
Dave was a trooper as he hung with us all day even though he was in some serious pain from the events earlier in the morning. I could tell he wasn't able to concentrate on detecting but we all know he always seems to bounce back and redeem himself.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2013, 03:36 PM
gorgeous finds.im so envious and in total pain :stretcher:

del
08-04-2013, 04:40 PM
very nice merchant exchange token Todd , they seem to hold up pretty well as the one i found a few years ago was a good looking token as well (i have pictures in my album). I'm a bit perplexed on the other item is it part to some jewelry or something else all together :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: it is interesting though :yes:

Thiltzy
08-04-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm a bit perplexed on the other item is it part to some jewelry or something else all together :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: it is interesting though :yes:
Dan... perplexed? I DO NOT believe it. ::huh::

coinnut
08-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Well whatever Dave did must be bad, cause he ain't telling lol Nice looking token, I got one of those too :yes: I'm not sure what the other piece but it looks late 1700's to me. What a great find :clapping:

Thiltzy
08-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Well whatever Dave did must be bad, cause he ain't telling lol Nice looking token, I got one of those too :yes: I'm not sure what the other piece but it looks late 1700's to me. What a great find :clapping:
It looks like a womans bracelet to me :thinkingabout: What do you guys think??

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2013, 08:05 PM
could it be some kind of sword hanger decoration? :dontknow:

Thiltzy
08-04-2013, 08:08 PM
could it be some kind of sword hanger decoration? :dontknow:
Dave, do you think Greg would know? Can you forward the pics to him?

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2013, 08:18 PM

i did todd. dan & george this is the stuff greg shipley is digging in ohio at a fort site.mad wayne legion buttons from 1793
1792 issue frog-legged Eagle buttons, again. After laying in the western Ohio soil for approx 218 years, these rare US Army Legion buttons are out of the ground, again. These buttons were probably worn by troops that fought in the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794, prior to these soldiers returning back to the Fort Greene Ville area,

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2013, 08:36 PM

this was his reply and why i guessed 1840's to 50's based on those rings.

Greg Shipley..... Dave, I haven't ever seen anything like this before. Does it appear like there was an extension to this under the decorative oval piece? I never knew that those key ring type connector rings went back to colonial period, though, but this may be an example of them. Pretty Cool!

Lodge Scent
08-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Some nice digs from some pounded sites ! That fancy piece, whatever it is, is pretty darn cool.

aloldstuff
08-05-2013, 05:29 AM
Some very nice finds, really like the hard time token. Just read HMN's post, holy poop. Hope he heals soon so that you 2 can continue with your hunts.

coinnut
08-05-2013, 06:57 AM
i did todd. dan & george this is the stuff greg shipley is digging in ohio at a fort site.mad wayne legion buttons from 1793
1792 issue frog-legged Eagle buttons, again. After laying in the western Ohio soil for approx 218 years, these rare US Army Legion buttons are out of the ground, again. These buttons were probably worn by troops that fought in the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794, prior to these soldiers returning back to the Fort Greene Ville area,

Wow some great buttons and a cool project to be working on :shocked04:

It looks like a womans bracelet to me :thinkingabout: What do you guys think??

I'm wondering if it is a Masonic symbol?? I looked at their symbols and a sun is one of them. I've seen that version, I just can't place it. I would test the stone to see if it is real. I think it's an earlier piece, but that is just a guess.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Wow some great buttons and a cool project to be working on :shocked04:

I'm wondering if it is a Masonic symbol?? I looked at their symbols and a sun is one of them. I've seen that version, I just can't place it. I would test the stone to see if it is real. I think it's an earlier piece, but that is just a guess.

yeah G i told greg about you and Dan working on the king phillips war down there.he studied that in school and commends you both.I invited him to join american.hopefully he takes up the offer! would love to have him here :yes:

del
08-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Todd i'm not so sure its a bracelet as the last picture you can clearly see where another loop and chain might have been attached , making 3 attachment points . do you see any plating or gilt (silver wash or gold ) anywhere on it ??

Thiltzy
08-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Todd i'm not so sure its a bracelet as the last picture you can clearly see where another loop and chain might have been attached , making 3 attachment points . do you see any plating or gilt (silver wash or gold ) anywhere on it ??
Dell, I am in the process of posting close up pics of the piece through the loop. Give me a few minutes

Thiltzy
08-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Here are a couple close up pics

Bell-Two
08-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Great stuff there Todd, the Hard Times is listed as HT-293 in Rulau's book, very nice token, I really like those Hard Times Tokens.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Todd I was in contact with 2 guys on another forum who are also my friends on facebook and here is our conversation below:

Don Hartman Ah, really no idea, but perhaps a decorative piece of horse hardware? Somehow cannot imagine a person wearing that item, if it were bigger I would say horse decorative hardware for sure, but the size seems small, but I am not well versed in jewelry or horse hardware.
Wednesday at 11:18am · Unlike · 2

Dave Wise yeah it has us all stumped.
Wednesday at 11:19am · Like

Dave Wise some type of sword adornment perhaps?
Wednesday at 11:19am · Like

Steve Evans I dug a broken ring with a similar star pattern from a colonial site that I would estimate was in use from about 1770 to 1815. I can take a picture of it but not for a couple weeks since I don't have it at home.
Wednesday at 11:36am via mobile · Unlike · 1

Don Hartman Because of the split key rings on the ends, I think woman's jewelry might be ruled out, but something like you suggested an adornment that the split rings attached to is more likely. Could it from a sword holder? perhaps, but probably something less glamorous that is beyond my scope of guessing. The chain rings might be more helpful in dating the relic. Whatever it is, it is a very nice find............
Wednesday at 11:37am · Like

Dave Wise i didnt think the key ring type ends was colonial but i could be wrong.i was guessing 1840's or so but the rest of the piece does look colonial.would love to see yours steve!
Wednesday at 11:39am · Like

Don Hartman I would think more early mid 1800s to as late as early Victorian, just does not seem right for key rings to be colonial
Wednesday at 11:41am · Like

Dave Wise the design around stone seems older and the crudeness of the thicker brass rings.i think it's older than victorian but,that's just my opinion
Wednesday at 11:43am · Like

Don Hartman The Victorian guess came from the use of split rings, just have not seen them on older finds before
Wednesday at 11:44am · Like

Dave Wise right i agree but,could be possible these rings were added on at a later time,if this was handed down as a family hierloom?
Wednesday at 11:45am · Like

Dave Wise just scratching our heads over this piece
Wednesday at 11:46am · Like · 1

Herbie Robinson Certainly an interesting item. a short research into origins of the 'split ring' brought no results for me, if it didn't have three attachments I'd guess pommel hanger, that and its small size seem to rule out either hanger or bridle/bit item, hmmm. Nice piece!
Thursday at 4:54am · Unlike · 1

Dave Wise hey Herbie Robinson is it a possible pocket watch chain piece that held a fob along with a watch winder?
Yesterday at 7:41am · Like

Herbie Robinson That's an idea, I have a book somewhere on early mens accessories. I'll see if there's anything similar
3 hours ago · Like

Herbie Robinson There were pieces designed with three chains, called 'double alberts'

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-10-2013, 08:26 AM
still trying for you todd.its possible it could be some sort of early double albert.looks like we may never know :confused:

Thiltzy
08-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Hey Dave some good ideas being tossed around. Appreciate the efforts. Maybe Johnny was right

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Hey Dave some good ideas being tossed around. Appreciate the efforts. Maybe Johnny was right

|:cheering: