PDA

View Full Version : Several morning hunts yield a little silver

bob_e99
08-06-2013, 02:13 PM
I haven't been getting out much of late but Sunday, Monday and Tuesday were just outstanding days so I got my derriere out of the chair and out for some morning hunts. I hit mostly wooded areas and one or two fields. Monday was the best for silver. Sunday I found the plated fork in some old woods so I was hoping it had some age to it but after researching the web and not finding the exact pattern, I think it's from the 50's or 60's. The peace thingie is kind of neat but I don't know what it could have come from as the back is really strange. I also have one mystery item which if you look closely at the picture you can make out the letter 'B' about 1/3 of the way down from the top. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I'm currently trying to clean it up a bit.

Thank you for looking and good hunting.

Tony Two-Cent
08-06-2013, 02:33 PM
That's some good hunting, Bob! :yes:

Congrats on the silver! |:cheering:

The item with the peace symbols on it is the lid off of an herb grinder. I only know that because I've seen other detectorists post them on various forums. They are a somewhat common find in public parks.

I'm not sure about the bottom mystery item, but it definitely has writing on it. I hope it is more identifiable after you clean it up some.

Nice finds! :clapping:

aloldstuff
08-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Now aren't you glad that you got out of your chair..... :congrats: on the silvers. I hope you can get writing off of the last item.

PL8MAN
08-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Sweet finds !

skribnodsister
08-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Nice finds Bob! That peace thing is kinda cool. Congrats on the Silver! :peace:

angellionel
08-06-2013, 06:37 PM
That is definitely some hunting there Bob! No doubt fun hunts! :clapping:

z118
08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
I had to Google herb grinder just to check it out. Amazon seems to have a nice selection. You learn something new every day I guess!

Congrats on some fine digging. I'm looking forward to pics of the mystery item all cleaned up. I'm sure you'll get an ID in no time.

I'm getting pretty excited for our time at the beach!

lee
08-06-2013, 08:13 PM
that mystery item , is it the size of a copper ? coz to me it looks like a 'Nova Caesarea' (new jersey copper)

bob_e99
08-07-2013, 05:20 AM
that mystery item , is it the size of a copper ? coz to me it looks like a 'Nova Caesarea' (new jersey copper)

Thank you Lee for your thoughts about the mystery item. I don't know if you mean a large copper or a penny. It's the size of a modern day penny and a tad thinner (In the picture, it's to the right of the four wheats at the bottom). I have started to clean it and from what is starting to show up, I think it may be a foreign coin. I'll continue with the cleaning until I can get a really good picture and will post it.

Thank you Tony for the identification of the peace thingie. I had never heard of an herb grinder either. Very interesting.

And thank you everyone for taking the time to post and your very kind comments.

bob_e99
08-09-2013, 08:51 AM
I started to clean that mystery coin but it is heavily oxidized. Any thoughts about how aggressive I should get? It's probably not anything great so I'm thinking of using heavy duty metal cleaners as the more gentle ones are not really working (at least not in a reasonable amount of time).

Thanks for any feedback.