PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from 'way out west'...

lcoutback
08-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Hello American Detectorist! I've been an avid side-liner for many years, and finally am ready to dive into this dirty little hobby. No, let me rephrase that. I'm ready to soil myself in the name of discovery! No, that doesn't work either...

Anyway, I am here to learn from each of you what I can. What I've gathered so far is to start simple, be patient, and have fun in the process. Any other sage advice?

coinnut
08-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Hey welcome aboard. You mentioned 3 great things so far. The 4th is my favorite...never surrender lol No matter how bad the hunt is, don't give up. Some great finds have come at the end of a so-so hunt. And I'll add a fifth too.... Don't prejudge a place to be hunted out or not a good choice of a place to hunt. Great finds are where they were lost and not where you want them to be ;) Good luck and tell us how your first hunt goes.

lcoutback
08-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks coinnut! My first step is the most excruciating... The purchase of my first detector. I've read Lowjiber's review of the Garrett Ace 250 and the Fisher F2. That summary gave me much to ponder. :thinkingabout: I have a very special friend that has been doing this for a number of years, and I'm hoping to also draw from her experience...

I'm leaning toward the apparent simplicity of the Fisher F2. I live in a very dry climate. Many of the areas I am looking to explore are high alkaline soil content. Thoughts?

Lowjiber
08-07-2013, 05:57 AM
Welcome from southern Nevada. :waving:

Thoughts? Well, a wise man once said, It's not the wand, it's the wizard. That applies to this hobby as well. Both of those machines are dependable starter machines that will serve you well.

It's almost a coin toss, but I favor the F2 because its display is easier to read and more closely resembles many of the higher end machines. Coupled with the 4 coil, it's a trashy area machine.

Your results may vary. :rolleyes:

aloldstuff
08-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Oh how many great finds have been made swinging on the way back to the car.............Welcome aboard and look forward to your future posts.

del
08-07-2013, 01:31 PM
hello Lcoutback and welcome to the forum :waving: , yes either of them two detectors would make a great starter machine in the hobby . Glad you found the forum and I wish you luck .

Dan

Tony Two-Cent
08-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

Glad to have you here, LC!

I don't have any experience hunting out west so I'm afraid I can't help you with hunting in high alkaline soil.

Best of luck, and I hope that you are soon out there finding treasure! :yes:

Fire Fighter 43
08-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the forum and the hobby from SE Wisconsin. It looks like you got a handle on getting started, just have fun and the finds will make there way into your pouch. Good luck and happy hunting.

Epi-hunter
08-07-2013, 07:54 PM
I have a very special friend that has been doing this for a number of years, and I'm hoping to also draw from her experience...

That would be me.... :cheesysmile: :detecting:

Well, you know my preference by now lol You are doing the right thing by reading and researching and soaking information up like a sponge. You and I have always been the same in that respect!

Regarding the F2... John's comparison write-up is great, but one thing you might need to consider is the ability to ground balance the machine to account for mineralized soil. Sounds like it may be an issue there. Most entry-level detectors (F2, ACE250 and 350, etc) don't have the ability to do that.

Can't wait to see what you dig up :poke: :happydance01:

lcoutback
08-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Well guys... I suppose Epi-Hunter sort of let 'the cat' out of the bag! :bananadance:

I have a tendency to over think some things and get a little hard-headed, but in this case I REALLY value the input bourne from the experience you all bring to the table. :white:usaflag::

I expect my adventures to be as much related to relics as anything, so it seems appropriate to venture into this experience with the most robust piece of equipment I can both afford AND learn. I have two military encampments, three old (abandonded) highway segments, (rest areas/turnouts come to mind) a 55 mile short-line railroad and a number of homestead properties I want to explore. I'm thinking the Minelab X-Terra 305 with a 7.5 Khz DD coil makes sense? :detecting:

I do have a technical background, I've spent considerable time with a set of headphones strapped to my cranium recording and mixing voice/music (Radio production) and tend to be accused of being overly patient. (if any of that is relevant)

Am I biting off more than I can chew at an entry level with a unit like the X-Terra 305?

Don't pull any punches! :boxing:

Epi-hunter
08-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Any chance you might find gold in them there hills? ;)

I ask because if so, and if that's something you might be interested in too, then there are specific recommendations (for detectors that also will do great on coins and relics) but do especially well on small gold (small nuggets).

lcoutback
08-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Now, Epi-hunter, must I teach you how to talk proper out here? It's 'Ain't there gold in them thar hills?' :drool:

Yes, gold is an opportunity, but not quite as 'local' as I think I'll be pursuing. I don't have any background in identifying where/how gold might deposit, but I do have a sense of where people have gathered in the past in this region...

Epi-hunter
08-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Now, Epi-hunter, must I teach you how to talk proper out here? It's 'Ain't there gold in them thar hills?' :drool:

That's how I typed it first, then I backspaced over it lol There's only so much proper talking I can handle lol

SeabeeRon
08-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Welcome from a California Beach Digger! :detecting: :cool:
You say you are from 'way out west', are you this far west?? :grin:

tanacat
08-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Welcome to AD! |:cheering: I'm Angie's neighbor and friend, but we have yet to go detecting together :rolleyes: We both have busy lives with kids... and actually live about 1/2 hr from each other.

Can't wait to see your choice of detector and cool finds! Yes it is soooo addicting- it is a good addiction though lol

Skamaniac
08-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Hello from the Pacific Northwettest. When you said you were out west I started to wonder if you close. Then I read you were in a dry climate and I ruled out any chance that you were a neighbor. Good luck and have fun!

lcoutback
08-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Welcome from a California Beach Digger! :detecting: :cool:
You say you are from 'way out west', are you this far west?? :grin:

Thanks SeabeeRon! I'm clear up on the California/Oregon border. :waving: Might be a drive!

Welcome to AD! |:cheering: I'm Angie's neighbor and friend, but we have yet to go detecting together :rolleyes: We both have busy lives with kids... and actually live about 1/2 hr from each other.

Can't wait to see your choice of detector and cool finds! Yes it is soooo addicting- it is a good addiction though lol

Hi tanacat! :waving: Thanks for the shout-out. Keep Angie on her toes in my absence, would you? :groovy:

Hello from the Pacific Northwettest. When you said you were out west I started to wonder if you close. Then I read you were in a dry climate and I ruled out any chance that you were a neighbor. Good luck and have fun!

Fellow Oregonian!! Skamaniac, if you ever need to 'dry out' on this side of the Cascades, hit me up! :callme:

I appreciate the support folks, Epi-Hunter is right, you are a pretty welcoming bunch. (don't tell her I said she is right...) :cool:

Boulder
08-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum, from North New Jersey.

Skamaniac
08-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Fellow Oregonian!! Skamaniac, if you ever need to 'dry out' on this side of the Cascades, hit me up! :callme:

I don't live in Oregon, but I can see it from here. I'm right across the Columbia River in Washington. Might look you up on one of my motorcycle rides if I'm packin' my detector. :detecting:

OxShoeDrew
08-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Welcome from the Nutmeg state and best of luck with the hunts. :waving:

lcoutback
08-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Hey there all! I acquired a Garrett Ace 350 today, and I'm not going to be worth a darn at work. <: Keep your eyes peeled, I'm sure I'll have nothing but incredibly RARE items to post from this point forward! :happy:

Hey, I can dream... :detecting:

Skamaniac
08-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Good luck! Never stop dreaming!