PDA

View Full Version : CW Token

BKM
08-07-2013, 06:17 PM
This find is from a couple of weeks ago when we were in the midst of a major heat wave here in RI.

It was so hot that I refused to leave the shade of large trees in this well-known and well-hunted, very trashy park. This left me not much area to hunt so I decided to work really slow in the shade/trash and see what I could pick out.

This token wasn't more than two inches down between a load of bottle caps and pull tabs. It was in a spot that I'm 100% certain I'd been over a few times before but obviously missed it because of all the trash and not working as slow.

It's tough to see in the pic but the front reads Charnley's 11 Orange St. Providence, RI with the big RI anchor on it. The back reads Union 1863 with a C surrounded by a wreath.

[attach=1]

BKM
08-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Have not figured out the multiple photos, here's the front

del
08-07-2013, 06:27 PM
nice token , just below where you attached your first photo theres a
(more attachments) link to open another attach browse window for another photo upload . each time you click on that (more attachment) link you get another window.

skribnodsister
08-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Very Cool token! :peace: :congrats:

coinnut
08-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Nice token. It's hard to believe that people can miss such shallow signals all of these years, but they do. I have also dug shallow silvers and coppers that should have been dug years ago. Thank God for people who rush while detecting lol

aloldstuff
08-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Nice token. It's hard to believe that people can miss such shallow signals all of these years, but they do. I have also dug shallow silvers and coppers that should have been dug years ago. Thank God for people who rush while detecting lol

That's why I like hunting with Rob.... rofl

Huge :congrats: on getting that CW token. One of those are one my wish list. I can relate with finding something really good in an area that I know I have gone over multiple times. |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
08-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Wow, nice find! Do you know anything about what Charnley's was? I just looked around the net and saw the words club room. :beerbuddy: :dontknow:
Nicely done thumbsup01

RobW
08-09-2013, 07:05 AM
That's why I like hunting with Rob.... rofl

:behave: :behave: :behave:..... lol lol

Yeah, I'm guilty of that on occasion...I think we all are...

I've only dug 1 CW token, and it was a pleasant surprise too...but that was a few years ago......Congrats on yours! :clapping:

BKM
08-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Wow, nice find! Do you know anything about what Charnley's was? I just looked around the net and saw the words club room. :beerbuddy: :dontknow:
Nicely done thumbsup01

Can't find anything on it myself other than links to numismatic sites with info on the token....

Bell-Two
08-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Your token is a Civil War Store Card, it is listed in Rulau's United States Tokens 1700-1900 and appears on page 511 listed with an R-3 rarity which means approximately 500-1,999 are thought to exist. Checked on Richards Token Database http://www.tokencatalog.com/index.php I did not see it listed so you should submit it there.

Congrats on such a nice find!

milco
08-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Congrats on finding a real sweet token! I love them things, they are fun, interesting and historic finds!

BKM
08-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Congrats on finding a real sweet token! I love them things, they are fun, interesting and historic finds!

It is listed on the website with a really nice example of it right here [url=http://www.tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&t d_id=13991&inventory_id=94309&td_image_id=55686&at tribution_id=13827&td_create_uid=125&record_offset =8]http://www.tokencatalog.com/token_record_forms.php?action=DisplayTokenRecord&t d_id=13991&inventory_id=94309&td_image_id=55686&at tribution_id=13827&td_create_uid=125&record_offset =:dontknow:/url]

Tony Two-Cent
08-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Awesome civil war token! |:cheering:

It's amazing what can still be found in public parks when you go slow! :yes:

:congrats:

giant056
08-30-2013, 04:22 AM
Awesome score on the CW token :congrats: It's in really good shape too! I found one this year as well, they don't come around very often and it sure is great when they do :)