PDA

View Full Version : Some Wheats and tag of some sort!!

xzlr8n
05-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Here is some more pics for your viewing pleasure, I love seeing what others find so I thought I'd post these marginal finds from yesterday. These were found at Fair Ground / practice horse track in my home town (ca.1910) and from a older house ( ca. 1900). I always love finding Wheats and was happy to pluck four from the ground, the 1919 was from the Fair Ground which is tough hunting because of trash and venerable car parts from the Smash Up Derby held every year at fair time. The No. 70 tag was found at the house and is a mystery to me, maybe a room tag or such:huh: Anyway the V3 has been working better, even with the D2 on, since I've lowered the RX Gain from 12-15 to 8-10 and Disc Sens from 88-91 to 85, and increased the Recovery time from 115 to 135-140. Still using a combination of Yazoo's (custom sound settings) and Jack's Correlate program thumbsup01.

coinnut
05-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Smash up derby? Ouch lol That puts a lot of targets in the ground that read like coins :ticked: It sounds like a tough area, but the history of it makes it a good hunting spot. You scored an early wheat and that tag looks like it from that earlier era too. You may even be able to date it if you can find other known works from the early teens (like books, sheet music, etc) All of them may have the same style number 7. Number styles changed through the decades and I would guess (wild guess) yours is early 1900's- 1920's? It may be worth it to do one small area and remove the surface trash and hit it again the next time out, for the deeper stuff. Old pictures and post cards showing where there was a large concentration of people always helps too! Good luck at it. Up around our way, Fairgrounds are usually off limits :rolleyes:

tanacat
05-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Congrats on the wheaties, I found 5 yesterday myself :smitten: I'm curious about the tag too. Keep us posted (I'll take a look as well)

Old pictures and post cards showing where there was a large concentration of people always helps too!

I'm looking forward to doing that kind of research, looking up old local newspapers and history books giving clues to where the old picnic groves and swimming holes were.