PDA

View Full Version : Stellar 5 hour hunt - KG's, silver, a first, and skunked!

mdakin
08-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Last Sunday I hit a new property, very cool owner. The land used to hold 2 out buildings from the late 1600's then they were converted into a house around 1905. I believe this is why I had such a wide range of relics.

I have never found such nice detailed KG's before. I found the KG I under a thick bush and was deep, at least 10, the KG II was a slamming hit, 12-42 on my eTrac. So strong I was not expecting a large copper just a shallow wheatie perhaps. I had cut a shallow plug and within the first 1.5 a 1740 KGII popped out, amazing!!

I was surprised at the shape of the KG V I found, square 5 cent piece. My first India coin, back when KG V was the King and Emperor of India.

Probably what I'm most excited about is the barber dime pop out ring I found. I have seen them posted before and I have always wanted to find one. I can't make out the date on it though, anyone have a guess?

Finding two coin banks was cool, would have been cooler if one or both of them still had coins in them. The Little Gem Bank probably dates to the 1880's.

Lastly, I had a nice history lesson with the Silver King bicycle headbadge. Here's some Wiki info on George Hendee:

George M Hendee took up bicycle racing at age 16. He won the United States National Amateur High Wheel Championship in 1886, setting a new world record over a dirt half-mile track of 2 minutes 27.4 seconds, and held it until 1892.

In 1892 Hendee retired from bicycle racing and began making Silver King bicycles at 41-43 Taylor Street in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1895.[2] In 1896 the Hendee & Nelson Manufacturing Company at 478 Main Street in Springfield Massachusetts were building safety bicycles under the names of Silver King for men and Silver Queen for women.[3] The company went bankrupt and Hendee purchased the entire inventory at auction and set up shop on Worthington Street in 1898.[4] The Hendee Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1898 with a capital stock of $5,000. The company's new line of bicycles was called Indian

Of course these Indian bicycles ended up turning into Indian Motorcycles!

Cool History!

Anyway, a great day out with some awesome finds, enjoy the pics.

del
08-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Hey Matt , nice to see you post. glad your getting out |:cheering: great variety of relics and coins . we just had another YTC member find a pop-out barber coin , congrats on your early copper finds :perfect10: the 1749 is a real beauty :smitten: . congrats again

Dan

Fire Fighter 43
08-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Congrats on all the fantastic finds, WTG |:cheering:

Thiltzy
08-08-2013, 05:07 PM
:wow: What a great hunt you had. Nice assortment of different finds and love the KG's :smitten: Hope your able to get back in there and clean it out. Good luck and keep us posted

aloldstuff
08-10-2013, 04:48 AM
:wow: what a great productive site.

Your KG's are great looking and I don't see many banks posted here.

milco
08-10-2013, 07:43 AM
:perfect10: WOW!! That has got to be one of the nicest assortments of finds I have seen posted in a long time! Congrats on all the great finds and the great old coins!! What a range of age of stuff. Good luck on return trips and the Barber ring and the Bicycle ornament are just awesome!

bob_e99
08-10-2013, 05:54 PM
:omg:

What a nice variety of finds. :smitten: those old coppers. I think the only you missed was a kitchen sink lol

angellionel
08-10-2013, 08:26 PM
What a wonderful group of finds! :perfect10: Congrats! Love the photos too. thumbsup01