PDA

View Full Version : Walking Liberty Half Among 14 Silver Coins

angellionel
08-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Thursday was supposed to be a rainy day in our area, but the rain held off for a while. I took advantage and was able get in a few hours of detecting at a small park. From there I dug up five silver coins before calling it quits.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2013/08August/5_silver_dimes_august_8_2013.jpg

Friday it rained all day, but it did give me the opportunity to catch up on needed sleep. It was a beautiful day this Saturday though, so off I went to detect at another site. This time I was able to get in just over 5 1/2 hours of detecting, allowing me time to concentrate on specific sections of the park. The park isn't very old, but it still yielded several mid-1900's silver coins. I dug up a total of 14.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2013/08August/14_silver_coins_august_10_2013.jpg

The half dollar was a very nice surprise. I found it after taking my last break. Upon finding a silver dime, my 13th coin of the day, I placed a towel on the ground to mark where I should pick up after returning. I guzzled down a 32 oz bottle of Gatorade (it was hot today) and then started to head to where I had left the towel. Midway there though I turned on my machine and began sweeping. As I walked between two very large trees the machine awakens with a screech. I stopped and slowly swept the coil over the target and this time the signal was steady and familiar. It pinpointed small too. The numbers were off though due to the signals from the shallower trash, but there was no mistaking the silver tone. I cut a plug, dug up several scoops of soil, and there it was, the rim of the coin visible under the layer of dirt I had piled on the spare towel - a beautiful 1946 Walking Liberty half dollar.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2013/08August/1946_half_dollar_obv.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2013/08August/1946_half_dollar_rev.jpg

Placing the coin in the pouch I began to work that area well, but the ground did not yield any other silver coins. After a while I continued to head toward the towel and picked up detecting from where I had left off. I didn't pick up any other silver coins there either though, so I called it a day.

HH!

milco
08-10-2013, 09:52 PM
A bunch of breathtaking silver coin finds! WTG and thanks for sharing!! Congrats!

ChrisinCT
08-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Amazing as always.
Seeing what you post just proves to serve I really need to learn how to use my detector better.

Not to sound sappy but you are an inspiration for me to really buckle down and make an effort to learn.

rsarge1
08-10-2013, 10:55 PM
I think the reason I'm not finding the silver like you are is that you must have gotten here in Denver first LOL way to go awesome finds. :perfect10:

z118
08-11-2013, 08:21 PM
I can only imagine the silver hoard you must be sitting on Angel. Another stunning post as always. Congrats on some fine digging!

Rondoutcreek
08-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Nice , way to sniff out the silver , CONGRATS !!!!!!

aloldstuff
08-12-2013, 04:46 AM
So the trick is to drop the towel... :congrats: on the big silver and of course the other silvers.

Great hunting Angel, always a pleasure to see your posts.

RobW
08-12-2013, 07:30 AM
So the trick is to drop the towel...

Please don't drop your towel while you're with me!!!!...... :twirlingeyes:

RobW
08-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Angel...ok, here's where your almighty wisdom |:confused:) can help us amateurs.....how would you describe thisI stopped and slowly swept the coil over the target and this time the signal was steady and familiar. It pinpointed small too. The numbers were off though due to the signals from the shallower trash, but there was no mistaking the silver tone.

How would you describe the tone breaking through the trash sounds?
And how did it affect the numbers...what kind of numbers where you getting?

Always appreciated!

imagearhead
08-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Awesome find... I'm still working on a SLQ, WLH and anything seated, haha! Great job listing through the trash. :clapping:

bob_e99
08-12-2013, 10:20 AM
There's only so many ways to describe a great hunt and I think they have all been said many, many times.

Simply awesome!

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

and

:wow: :wow: :wow:

Also:

Always appreciated!

When I try Angel's method (slow and easy), all I hear through my mind is the Rolling Stones singing You don't always get what you want ... bummer!

giant056
08-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Awesome bunch of silvers you got there thumbsup01 That walker is in great condition too, lots of detail on it yet.

angellionel
08-13-2013, 03:43 PM
A bunch of breathtaking silver coin finds! WTG and thanks for sharing!! Congrats!

Thanks milco!

Amazing as always.
Seeing what you post just proves to serve I really need to learn how to use my detector better.

Not to sound sappy but you are an inspiration for me to really buckle down and make an effort to learn.

Not sounding sappy at all. lol We all learn from experience and from others. Taking the time to learn and become proficient with whatever machine we use can only bring better results out in the field. :yes:

I think the reason I'm not finding the silver like you are is that you must have gotten here in Denver first LOL way to go awesome finds. :perfect10:

lol lol I think that it is Jack hoarding the silver and not telling anyone. :thinkingabout: lol

I can only imagine the silver hoard you must be sitting on Angel. Another stunning post as always. Congrats on some fine digging!

They do make nice piles. :shocked04:stretcher: Thanks Matt. :yes:

Nice , way to sniff out the silver , CONGRATS !!!!!!

Thank you!

So the trick is to drop the towel... :congrats: on the big silver and of course the other silvers.

Great hunting Angel, always a pleasure to see your posts.

Don't give Rob the secret! lol I usually try to carry two towels with me. One for placing the dirt I dig and a smaller one to mark the spot of a find before detecting the area around it. :yes:

Angel...ok, here's where your almighty wisdom |:confused:) can help us amateurs.....how would you describe thisI stopped and slowly swept the coil over the target and this time the signal was steady and familiar. It pinpointed small too. The numbers were off though due to the signals from the shallower trash, but there was no mistaking the silver tone.

Always appreciated!

I don't know about almighty wisdom Rob, but I can share experience. lol And I am not so sure about your being amateurs either. :poke: lol

Well, in this case it was nothing unusual. :thinkingabout: I had been swinging relatively fast as I tried hurrying back to the spot where I left the towel in order to continue detecting that area. When swinging fast over a relatively deep target where there is also shallower trash the initial signal will tend to be broken, uneven, and, in the case of large silver, sound off almost like what a deeply buried square nail would sound like. It caught my attention, so I stopped to check the target. Surface trash was moderate and there were two memorial cents near the desired target. I just slowly moved the coil back and forth over the target while circling until the signal was cleaner and the number a bit more stable. I had been expecting to see a silver quarter given that the FE number was hanging mostly at 11 through 14. this was due to the interference from the trash and other nearby conductive targets. Still, the high conductive tone of silver was unmistakable in this case. :yes:

Awesome find... I'm still working on a SLQ, WLH and anything seated, haha! Great job listing through the trash. :clapping:

All three coin types are great goals for us all. :smitten: I do wish you much success in your hunts! thumbsup01

There's only so many ways to describe a great hunt and I think they have all been said many, many times.

Simply awesome!

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

and

:wow: :wow: :wow:

Also:

When I try Angel's method (slow and easy), all I hear through my mind is the Rolling Stones singing You don't always get what you want ... bummer!

lol lol

You are just going to surprise yourself soon. You will then have to change songs. lol

Thanks Bob!

Awesome bunch of silvers you got there thumbsup01 That walker is in great condition too, lots of detail on it yet.

Yeah, it was neat to see so much detail on the eagle too. :smitten: Thanks! :beerbuddy:

Epi-hunter
08-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Beautiful half! |:cheering: The rest aren't too shabby either.

Here's what I think you should do. I think that the next time you get a target similar to that half, you should pull the headphone plug out, get your phone out, and start taping a video on the tones and Fe/Co readings for me. Then you can dig. (Don't forget to record the silver dance!) :happy:

angellionel
08-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Beautiful half! |:cheering: The rest aren't too shabby either.

Here's what I think you should do. I think that the next time you get a target similar to that half, you should pull the headphone plug out, get your phone out, and start taping a video on the tones and Fe/Co readings for me. Then you can dig. (Don't forget to record the silver dance!) :happy:

No videos! :bop: lol Besides, I look very silly trying to record, detect, and dig at the same time. rofl Yes, I did try. :blush: lol