PDA

View Full Version : New Guy in Iowa

SteveB
08-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Greetings from Iowa! SteveB here. New guy on the forum, old guy to detecting. Near the Grinnell, Iowa area. If anybody is nearby, send me a message. Just bought a new detector in March after having been out of the hobby for many years.

del
08-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Hello Steve :waving: , welcome back to the hobby and to American Detectorist . we have atleast one or two members from Iowa (one of our very own administrators too). glad you found us Steve |:cheering:

whats the new machine you'll be swinging ??

Dan

coinnut
08-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Hey Steve, welcome aboard from western MA. New detectors are always fun and sometimes frustrating lol Hope you get to try it out soon.

SteveB
08-11-2013, 09:37 PM
I got Minelab's CTX 3030. I'd read all the new machine reviews and its features all seemed to check off everything on my want list. I have to admit though, it's smarter than I am. lol

aloldstuff
08-12-2013, 04:58 AM
Welcome and good luck with your new CTX3030. Would you have and great finds from your previous hunting that you would like to share:huh:thinkingabout:?

OxShoeDrew
08-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Welcome and good luck with your new CTX3030. Would you have and great finds from your previous hunting that you would like to share:huh:thinkingabout:?
Yeah, anything you'd like to share? I hear your machine is great. Welcome from CT.

Fire Fighter 43
08-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Hello Steve, Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby from SE Wisconsin. It's good to have another fellow Midwesterner on board. What kind of machine did you buy? Good luck and happy hunting.

coinnut
08-12-2013, 09:37 AM
I got Minelab's CTX 3030. I'd read all the new machine reviews and its features all seemed to check off everything on my want list. I have to admit though, it's smarter than I am. lol

Steve, start with the preset programs and use auto +3 for sensitivity. Get used to the way it operates. If you have a yard that you can work repeatedly, do so from every angle. Then bump the sensitivity to manual and run it hot to see if you missed anything. Good luck, it is a great machine. I don't use more than 30% of what it has to offer lol

SteveB
08-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Well, my old machine is a White's 6000D. The pinpoint on this machine was nothing short of amazing! X would mark the spot and 99% of the time my probe would make contact on the first thrust. I need to send it in to White's for service.

Some of my finds were different rings people had asked me to find. A wedding ring lost in a garden, an engagement ring in a park. One class ring belonged to a friend of mine. He'd lost it two years before, and had only had it one week. Very happy when I handed it to him.

I found lots of silver with the White's machine, but my personal favorite coin was a 1942 Walking Liberty Half that was in near mint condition. My most interesting find was a wheat penny that was at a measured depth of 14! Sounds crazy, but I could hardly believe it myself. Never found anything that deep again. lol

Seems like a great bunch here, and look forward to meeting some of you down the sidewalk (or the park, or the school yard, old homesite, ad infinitum). :happydance01:

Epi-hunter
08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Steve and welcome! The CTX 3030.... wow, you started out with the best! :perfect10:

I am originally from the Quad Cities, Iowa area but moved to Iowa City for college and then lived there for the next 25 years before moving here (Lexington, KY) seven years ago. I can't wait to move back to Iowa! We do have another administrator here, Joe (jkress) who lives in Dubuque.

Looking forward to seeing how that CTX treats you! thumbsup01

Boulder
08-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum, from North New Jersey.

Lowjiber
08-13-2013, 06:13 AM
Welcome aboard from southern Nevada. You've got an awesome machine there.

milco
08-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Welcome from SE Wisconsin and good luck with the new gear! Looking forward to seeing what you find!

tanacat
08-16-2013, 06:40 AM
Welcome from Kentucky :waving: You found a great forum!

Have you spent much time with your CTX lately? Wanting to try it out, local White's dealer is getting ready to supply Minelab, so I might be joining you |:cheering:

dave in iowa
08-16-2013, 01:46 PM
hi from dave in iowa , im up by dubuque , cascade iowa ,
|:cheering:

SteveB
08-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Dave,

I'm located in Brooklyn, about halfway between Des Moines and Iowa City. :)

Tony Two-Cent
08-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

Glad to have you here, Steve! The CTX 3030 is an amzing machine from what I hear. I have owned my E-Trac for about 2 1/2 years now and I love it.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on your finds. :yes: