PDA

View Full Version : Another Nice Week - Play Coin Spill, Silver Coins & Jewelry

z118
08-11-2013, 08:46 PM
It was another gorgeous week and I was able to take advantage with some nice week night hunts and a bit of digging over the weekend as well. Traffic from the PGA over at Oak Hill made a few hunts shorter than they otherwise would have been but I'm not complaining.

Monday evening I drove a distance to check out a new spot; it was a bust.

Tuesday I headed to an odd wooded area. My first target was a real sweet one at the base of a huge oak tree. It proved to be a nice '43 Walking Liberty Half. During the same hunt I hit a spill of old play coins - 11 total in three different sizes. Sadly, they did not hold up well and none seem to have dates like others I've dug. Later at the base of another huge tree I pulled what I think is a pretty old button. The front is plain and I can not make out the writing on the back. Any help dating it would be much appreciated.

Wednesday I hit one of the two spots I've been pounding hard lately, and was rewarded with a bent and broken silver ring and a smashed sterling handle to an old piece of silverware.

Thursday I felt inspired by recent posts about not giving up on those hunted out parks so I hit just such a site near my house that has not produced for me in a while. I dug the usual clad but then switched out of Auto (which I usually do not do) and cranked it up. It was painful but after a bit I scored two deep older wheats. That was encouraging so Saturday evening I headed back. Again I ran in manual at 26. The falsing was annoying and I dug quite a few deep rusty nails and no keepers. But then I dug a signal that was sketchy at best. When I pulled the plug the signal was not in it and the Propointer did not go off in the hole either. I rescanned with the Etrac and now the signal was gone. I didn't give up though and dug more dirt out of the hole. And then out popped a shiny 1940 Merc! That made me fell pretty good.

Today I hit a few tot lots and then the other site I've been working lately, which gave up a nice silver earring and a sweet 1944 Merc.

Total for the week was 318 coins worth $23.10 including the 10 wheats, an older nickel, and the three silvers. Next weekend we are headed off to the beach for vacation... I can't wait!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

PL8MAN
08-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Great bunch of finds !

aloldstuff
08-12-2013, 04:54 AM
Great recoveries and huge :congrats: on your big silver. Your story of the missing signal on the merc happened to me once.

Good luck at the beach.

RobW
08-12-2013, 07:26 AM
:smitten:..love them Big silvers...Congrats :clapping:

bob_e99
08-12-2013, 10:24 AM
:congrats: on the silver especially the WLH. Nice assortment on the other stuff.