PDA

View Full Version : New Guy In Tennessee

flhjoey
08-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Hi all I used a friends detector a week ago, Now I'm Hooked! I have been looking at the Garrett ACE 350 as my first detector, I thought this would be a good one to start with, any Feedback on this decision is appreciated!

coinnut
08-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi all I used a friends detector a week ago, Now I'm Hooked! I have been looking at the Garrett ACE 350 as my first detector, I thought this would be a good one to start with, any Feedback on this decision is appreciated!

Hi and Welcome aboard from western MA. It's pretty easy to get hooked huh? lol The 350 is a good starter unit. I would look and see how much more the AT pro or AT gold is. They have some good features on them. But whatever machine you get, learn it and it will do you well. What machine did your friend have?

flhjoey
08-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Im not even sure of the model he had but I think it was older than me lol! I did look at the ATL but price was twice that of the 350 I have found the 350 for 297 the atl is like 664

coinnut
08-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Im not even sure of the model he had but I think it was older than me lol! I did look at the ATL but price was twice that of the 350 I have found the 350 for 297 the atl is like 664

Try our sponsor Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. He will give you the best price around on any unit you decide on.

tanacat
08-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Welcome to AD from your neighbor in Kentucky :waving:

You found the perfect place to learn and grow |:cheering: I use White's machines but many of my friends do well w/Garrett Ace 350...

OxShoeDrew
08-12-2013, 04:07 PM
I used the 350 for hundreds of hours. I liked it just fine. I ran it in all-metal and was able to run full sens most of the time. Covered lots of ground, and got nice depth in our soil. Glad you joined and good luck :waving:

Epi-hunter
08-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum! :waving:

The 350 is a good choice for an entry-level machine. I used the 250 (which is basically the same detector but with slightly different features and a concentric coil instead of a DD coil). The downfall with the entry level machines is that you can't ground balance them to counteract mineralized soil like you can the mid-range and high-end units, if that is an issue in your area (it was in mine). However, the DD coil is better in mineralized soil than the concentric, so that's a positive. Good luck and keep posting! :)

flhjoey
08-12-2013, 08:01 PM
The reasoning behind going with the Garrett is Im on a fixed income cant really go higher on the price at this time but have read alot about this unit and it seems to be pretty good especially since im new to the game! I also figure i will get me out there finding things while I save for a higher end model!

Skamaniac
08-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Welcome from Washington state :waving: It's good see another one get hooked on a great hobby!

Boulder
08-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum, from North New Jersey.

Lowjiber
08-13-2013, 06:06 AM
Welcome to your new obsession and the forum from southern Nevada.

del
08-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Hello flhjoey :waving: welcome to the forum , the 350 is a good unit and like you said you can save up you clad and always purchase an upgrade when you want. I wish you the best and glad you joined.

Dan

aloldstuff
08-13-2013, 06:43 PM
welcome from another member from western MA. I originally started with the White's Prizm IV. In the first year and a half with that machine I had found over $750 in clad and quite a few nice relics.

When you are completely hooked ( no turning back), you should have made enough finds to pay for that update.

Glad you found us, feel free to ask questions and looking forward to your future posts.

Fire Fighter 43
08-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the forum and hobby from SE Wisconsin. The Ace 350 is a great machine, just make sure you practice and learn all you can about it. Stay patient in the field and the finds will come. Good luck and happy hunting.

Tony Two-Cent
08-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

I have heard good things about the Ace 350. You should be very happy with that machine.

Best of luck, and be sure to keep us posted on your finds! |:cheering: