PDA

View Full Version : off to oregon

lee
08-12-2013, 09:56 PM
ok so im off to portland oregon on the 20th of september to compete in the best butcher in america final at the feast portland festival and wondered if it was worth me taking me detector , is there any history down that way , any revolution places to hunt , heck , where you lot even down that way then ? im a brit and im not ment to know this stuff..............
any help would be bloody great.
lee

del
08-13-2013, 02:48 AM
Lee the Pacific northwest has some old history as the spanish sailed up and down the coast in the 17th and 18th centuries , then the whiteman moved into the region around the mid 1800's and the army built many forts to defend from Indian attacks . we have a couple of members from Oregon maybe one will chime in and give you some helpful info.

tanacat
08-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Sounds like a great opportunity! I bet you could do some good research using historicmapworks.com
Not revolutionary, but older none-the-less. I've found several good mid-1800's sites here in Ky using the old county maps...

tanacat
08-14-2013, 08:44 AM
http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/1363541/Page+028+++Township+1+S++Range+1+E+++Portland++Car uthers++East+Portland+Park++Burrell+Heights++Ross+ Island/

Here's 1927

Our county maps go back to 1877 and have little driveways and homesteads. I overlay with Google Earth to estimate.

Skamaniac
08-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Portland is rich in 19th and 20th century history. They also have a lot of parks although I don't know if metal detecting is allowed in them. I'd check with Oregon Treasure Trail Society for information. They are located in Portland and should be able to head you in the right direction. Here's their website:

http://www.oretts.org/

Ask them about searching along the shores of the Columbia and Willamette rivers. Portland was built around those two rivers and the water is low right now.

Even if you don't get to go metal detecting, enjoy Portland. You will find it quirky.

Skamaniac
08-22-2013, 01:21 PM
And good luck with the competition!

lee
08-22-2013, 09:26 PM
thanks peeps ,we are gona head down to a little place called seaside down on the pacific coast after the final which might offer a bit of beach hunting (which im crap at i might add :hammer:) but ill try the parks for a bit first.
cheers folks
lee
ps.
im getting bloody nervous now its getting close.
this might make you laugh ha ha ha its me doing a little blurb that thay will play on the big screen as i enter the stage.
View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/f1a55d/5)

Skamaniac
08-22-2013, 11:17 PM
While you're at Seaside go a few miles south and visit Cannon Beach. That's a great little town and not (usually) as crowded as Seaside. And metal detecting is allowed on the beach.

SeabeeRon
08-23-2013, 01:43 PM
...might also try Tillamook where they make the cheese! :beerbuddy:

Tony Two-Cent
08-23-2013, 07:10 PM
this might make you laugh ha ha ha its me doing a little blurb that thay will play on the big screen as i enter the stage.

Yep, your voice sounds exactly how I imagined it would in my head. thumbsup01

Best of luck in Portland, Lee!