PDA

View Full Version : HOLY SMOKES!!

lcoutback
08-12-2013, 10:01 PM
OK, OK, so I don't have the grand find of the century, but NOW the bug really has it's hold! :twirlingeyes:

Today I took a little break at lunch just to 'look' at a site differently than before. After all, I haven't yet purchased a detector, as I have been panhandling for used soda cans to raise the funds... :interesting:

So... It was just a 'little' rainy the last couple days with pretty good wind. I'm puttering along in a railroad right-of-way near the original depot, and the modern-day locomotive barn. (This is on a publicly owned railroad, in a non-restricted, non fenced area, by the way) ::usaflag::

[attachimg=1]

Lo and behold! I figure with about 183 more lunch breaks like this, I can buy my first detector, THEN get busy!! :drool:

Whoo Hoo!!

Ill Digger
08-12-2013, 10:08 PM
:shocked04: What!?! You just spotted them laying on the ground!?! 8/
Some guys have all the luck. \:[ :envious: .......... lol
Congrats! :grin:

lcoutback
08-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Either these were something recently dropped (how or why I can't figure, considering where they were) or I've finally stumbled on the right hobby for me! |:cheering:

No matter, I'm pretty stoked, so I'm sure it's the last find I'll have for a veeerrrryyy long time! :beerbuddy:

Skamaniac
08-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Wow! I shall strive to maintain a non-envious attitude.

It's not working. Nice finds!

OxShoeDrew
08-13-2013, 06:15 AM
and why are you buying a detector? :thinkingabout: lol
Old nickels are hard to come by. That V is in super shape, I guess it being a surface find helps keep its color.
If you are finding coins like that on the surface then you are going to have a field day at that site when your machine comes in. Congrats!

Epi-hunter
08-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Those are some great eyeball finds for sure! If the ground is sandy maybe they washed up to the surface during a rain. (Does it rain there? :confused: ) But definitely you have a good detecting site! :perfect10:

Epi-hunter
08-14-2013, 12:42 AM
I forgot to mention... I found my very first old coin (actually my first coin of any type) along an old railroad that ran through one of my prairie farms in Iowa. An 1847 seated half dollar. At six inches. With an ACE250. Never did find another one of those. lol But it was stupid luck, because there were no train stations or any kind of building for that matter on this property. I'm guessing it may have been dropped by someone building or repairing the railroad.

My point being that the site has much potential. But be prepared to dig a ton of iron, or else make sure that your machine is good at discriminating it out.

aloldstuff
08-14-2013, 05:33 AM
Two nice looking coins. Can't wait to see what you get with a detector.

lcoutback
08-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Since acquiring a deeper interest in this hobby (Thanks AD!!) I'm seeing much more potential than 'mere' relics in my area. While I know there are a few local enthusiasts that have dabbled with metal detecting for years, I'm not aware of any serious efforts with modern equipment to really explore a number of locations, including a resort that burned in the early 30's, a mineral hot springs which once sported rather grand hotel (for our region) and old flower mill and at least three barge landings that used to move grain to the mill. (all defunct since the mid-30's) :drool:

Now, to get that unit in my hands, and my instructor a little closer for some lessons... :daydream:

tanacat
08-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Great eyeball finds fer sure |:cheering: (ky accent) lol

You and Angie should meet up in Colorado- I'd say that's about halfway?

lcoutback
08-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks Tanacat! Maybe she could deliver the Yugo(s) to CyberSage in the process. You know, a 'Business Trip'. :hysterical: :hysterical:

:dontknow:

del
08-14-2013, 01:10 PM
sweet looking nickles :smitten: , the defunct resort site sounds like a great place to detect and explore :yes:

Thanks Tanacat! Maybe she could deliver the Yugo(s) to CyberSage in the process. You know, a 'Business Trip'. :hysterical: :hysterical:

:dontknow:

<} lol lol I'm gonna miss that company car crying01

giant056
08-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Very cool finds :congrats:

CyberSage
08-14-2013, 10:16 PM
<} lol lol I'm gonna miss that company car crying01

I will think of you when I am cruising the boulevard in my sweet ride. :bananadance: ... lol

Very nice eye ball finds for sure!