PDA

View Full Version : This one has bothered me for over 4 yrs. ( updated pics on 5/7)

sjv
05-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Found this in a field that dates back to the revolutionary war. The french camped there in the winter before joining Washington's army. This site is a town green and has had probably 1000's of people walking the site. It looks very old to me. It's made of brass with a nice brown toning. The shank isn't like any that I've seen before. It looks kind of like a drawbridge shank (its the only way I can think to explain it) . I'll Have to get a pic taken. Don't know what the 85 means either. Boyscouts have camped there over the years also. I mean what other button has a number on it except a military button? Could it be a boyscout button? Military sounds better to me. lol

coinnut
05-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Looks like it's gonna bother you for another 4 years rofl I couldn't find any info on it last time either :confused:

sjv
05-06-2010, 03:34 PM
yea I figured that. Dan couldn't figure it out either. I'll give you more details about it next time we meet up again.

del
05-06-2010, 04:15 PM
hey take a shot of the back Sal its been awhile since i've taken a look at that button.

sjv
05-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Here's a couple more pics del. I never saw a shank like this. I call it the drawbridge design. Why the heck did they design the numbers like that? Weird huh?

sjv
05-07-2010, 02:16 PM
That's weird, if you turn it sideways so the eight is on top it looks like 2 eyes and a tongue maybe with a tear on the right side. CAUTION: I just felt a crack in my neck when I did that. Ouch that hurt. Anyway , See it? Do ya?

John M
05-08-2010, 07:06 AM
By the looks of it to me I think that it is just a common button off of a kids coat or something.The construction on the back with the shank looks like it is kind off stamp pressed or punched.This is only my guess and I could be totally wrong.

RickO
05-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Interesting button... certainly have not seen one like that before. If it is a number, perhaps it referred to a military unit. RickO

coinnut
05-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Sal, See which way the thread would go through it and that will tell you which end is up. Then look at the front and see what it looks like. But after seeing the back side, I think John was right in thinking it is a modern button. I've never found an old button yet, that has that kind of shank on it. But don't sell it for a quarter, just in case we are wrong lol

sjv
05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
The way the shank faces shows 85. There was actually material left in the shank which was wool. Also, I'm positive it's brass, so how long does it take brass to colorize into brown. All the houses on the street as well as the town green dates back to the 1700's. I'm guessing at least early 1900's. Waiting for the Carbon dating on the wool. lol lol

coinnut
05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Waiting for the Carbon dating on the wool. lol lol

lol lol In that case it probably as old as the Shroud of Turin lol It doesn't take brass or copper too long to tone to that brown color. A year or two should do it. I don't even think it's 1900's because of the shank. Someone was telling me (del) that it may be a reenactment button. It would make sense if they had some reenactments there, they would lose some buttons. Just a guess though. If it was a reenactment button, then somewhere in history that button was on a regimental unit of some sorts. Can't understand why it doesn't come up in any books or on Google? :confused:

sjv
05-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm sure i'll get an answer some day.

dzdilla
05-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Reminds me of the Sanskrit "Om" symbol...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om
~Dan

lee
05-08-2014, 10:55 PM
i think i know what green you may of been on and if so my mate found a 85 button there to, although it was a little different , Rochambeau bought 400 troops when he came to meet Washington in this town and they camped on this green, he sent it off to the museum in philly to have it verified and it came back as real with a letter to verify it.
ill try and find the post on here and post it in your thread.
here is the thread.
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?13980-What-is-i
(http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?13980-What-is-it)

del
05-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Lee did the person from the museum show any other examples of the same button with the letter?? and what museum was it sent to?? I would still like him to send pictures to Don Troiani he is an expert in Revolutionary uniforms , buttons , ect..

bamaart
05-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Hi, I have not been on in a while. The museum was the watermen's museum in Yorktown, The archeologist told me that there were two different styles of buttons worn in Rochambeau's troop, he said that the one I found is the button of an enlisted man who joined the troop after the initial troop had been formed. He told me that the reason so many people were telling me that it is not real is because there are not many of them around and that most people are more famelier with the other style. He also said that it should be valued at well over $500.00. Now I will be the first to admit that I do not know anything about buttons.

del
05-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Bamaart , I took the liberty of writing and sending pictures of your button to Don Troiani ( a military historian , collector and author about Revolutionary war uniforms , buttons and accoutrements ) . He is in my and many others opinion feel that he would be an expert in this field

Mr. Troiani
This is a button that was found on a town green here in Ct. where Revolutionary War French troops encamped , I was a bit skeptical at it being "period" due to the lack of patina and type of construction. The individual that found them was told by a museum (Watermen's in Yorktown , Pa.) that they were indeed from the 85th French regiment but I would very much favor your opinion about this item.

Dan
His short reply was this....

"Dan,

It's not a period item IMO, probably early 20th Century." dt

Bamaart , I still believe its probably a reenactors copy as these old greens had many many parades and reenactors on them to commemorate these colonial events and history.
Please don't take my word for it and e-mail Mr. Troiani yourself here.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/clear.gif (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/)
Don Troiani (Chainshot@aol.com)

Dan

bamaart
05-17-2014, 02:35 AM
I know nothing about buttons, but I appreciate your help. Its just a neat button and no matter what it is, it was fun finding it. Everyone on here is always so helpful, Thank You.