PDA

View Full Version : The badge

fyrffytr1
08-20-2013, 09:01 PM
I have just about made up my mind to donate the badge I found a few years ago but don't know which site to give it to.
A brief history of it: It is a fireman's badge from the fire truck Spiggot. The Spiggot was the first fire truck in Methuen, Ma and dates to the early 1840s. As near as I can figure it belonged to a Union soldier who was captured at Spotsylvania and sent to Andersonville prison where he died and was buried. I found the badge about 30 miles from the prison at an abandoned town site.
Now, here is the question,Would you donate it to the Methuen, Ma. Fire Department museum as it is the only known relic from the Spiggot. Or, would you give it to the Andersonville POW museum where the soldier who carried it into battle lays in rest?
I will add that a member of the Methuen FD helped me in my research. But, my computer died a while back and I lost all contact info with him. I know I can get back in touch but I need to decide which way to go before doing so.
I will also add this. Research did not show his name on the FD roster but it showed others with the same last name. It may have been given to him as a keepsake.
His name does show on the civil war roster as being part of the Heavy Artillery unit from Ma.

As you can see, the badge itself is not very impressive but the history behind it makes it my best find.

Lodge Scent
08-21-2013, 04:54 PM
That would be a noble deed. I would just hope they display it and not just archive it. I have not seen the Methuen Fire Dept museum but I am guessing they might be more likely to display it than Andersonville. I have been to Andersonville and it is mind blowing experience.

Jeff

del
08-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I myself would bring the old boy home with its story i think it would be more cherished and honored back in Methuen. its a great and honorable jesture to return it sir. |:confused:) |:confused:)

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-21-2013, 07:05 PM
i agree with the others.the fire dept museum! thumbsup01

coinnut
08-21-2013, 07:16 PM
I would be inclined to give it to the fire department, as that is a sure relic from their past. The other option and ownership is not really clear. Plus the fact that every person who becomes a firefighter is devoted to that job, whether he was a soldier, carpenter or farmer. If it was a military item, I would give it to a military museum. Just some thoughts on it.

lcoutback
08-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Who do you think would most appreciate it AND share it with others to see? :thinkingabout: I would send it 'home' to Methuen if it were me. :grouphug:

Great ethic sir! thumbsup01

tanacat
08-21-2013, 09:37 PM
I say put it in a nice display box with typed explanation & find a good place to hang it in the FIRE DEPT with the member who helped you with research :yes:

:perfect10:

chief5709
08-22-2013, 10:01 AM
I say put it in a nice display box with typed explanation & find a good place to hang it in the FIRE DEPT with the member who helped you with research :yes:

I totally agree ! what a great idea.

RobW
08-23-2013, 07:31 AM

As a Civil War History buff from TN, who now resides in MA. I totally agree with Tanacat! Since it's not directly related to the war itself or the prison, Andersonville would probably just file it away. Whereas, Civil war relics are rare up here in the north, and with the history of a firefighter who joined the service to fight for his country, was taken prisoner and died, the fire dept would definatly display it for people to actually see and appreciate.

fyrffytr1
09-03-2013, 10:16 PM
I got in touch with a member of the Methuen FD and am waiting to be contacted by the dept. historian. And, upon further investigation it appears that there may be another soldier buried at Andersonville that may be on the roster. This is getting interesting!
A side note to this story is I also have a relative who died at the prison and is buried there. He was a member of the Potomac Home Brigade and was one of the last prisoners to die. And he died an agonizing death! Can you imagine your life ending from diarrhea?