PDA

View Full Version : Proximity to metal objects

hoser
05-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I was wondering if the rest of you that swing the Etrac have the same trouble I have around, and fairly near larger metal objects. I can't get closer than two feet from metal fence posts, chain link fence, and farther away if I'm at a metal frame tot lot. I used to sneak in rather close with the DFX but not with the Etrac. Just wondering. :huh: :yes:

coinnut
05-06-2010, 02:44 PM
I don't usually get close to fences, but I have noticed the same thing when I try and get close to a vehicle. Then again, we're using one of the best machines out there, asking it for extreme depth, cranking the sensitivity, using a big coil and now we want it to get within inches of a huge fence lol I think it's just a problem that is here to stay and is probably governed by physics more than by the detector's design. I think the only way around it is with a small coil. :yes: I have even noticed that the small amount of metal in my shoes affects the machine, if I don't swing out away from my body. I was hoping they didn't have any metal in them, but I was wrong :ticked: You can alway try lowering the sensitivity a lot, and see if it has some depth left, but I think a small coil is probably going to be the best answer. :confused:

hoser
05-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah that was kinda my thoughts as well. :-\