PDA

View Full Version : Great day following a skunking*3 coppers*Big silver*complete knee buckle

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Todd & I found a new cellar hole and headed out early 6am for the 45 min drive.after yesterdays skunking I was feeling better about todays hunt.
20 min hike into the site,we found it.1st target was a big old tall oxknob.good sign :yes:.decided to work the lip of the foundation.next to a log Todd rolled over i get a nice signal at 4 inches,out pops a early complete knee buckle.fill hole.take 2 steps and bam! nice 80's VDI at 5 inches.out pops a CT copper 1787 I believe. fill the hole take a few more steps get a nice signal mixed in with iron.out pops a draped bust half cent 1804 i think.todd was on the other side of the cellar hole near trail all of a sudden I hear Im getting stung! I see a streak whippin down the trail like Flash Gordan! :happy: >:tongue: i peek over the cellar hole and theres like 500 yellow jackets in a cloud formation buzzing around the rotted log he apparently rolled over.I felt horrible as I know how he felt having gone through the same thing a few weeks earlier.he also broke his pinpoint toggle switch when he took a nose dive after tripping in the run.I give him the iron man award for the day as he stuck out the day using his machine like that and all welted up :stretcher: not long after that episode i get a nice 90's reading at 4 inches near the barn.out pops a 1859-O seated half dollar.then last coin for the day was a 1818 matron head LC.was a great hunt for me but Todd didn't fare so well.a few buttons and whole lotta welts. I know how hard it is to regain your focus after going through an ordeal like that. gotta give him a standing ovation for toughing it out :perfect10:
the 1st pic is my skunking from yesterday :embarrassed: the lock which was the coolest thing was a gift from todd thumbsup01

OxShoeDrew
08-25-2013, 07:05 PM
My gosh Dave, sounds horrible for Todd. :shocked04: :blackeye:
I think that seated half dollar is tops on my list. Don't see many. Funny how it's feast or famine. Glad you had a great big feast today.

aloldstuff
08-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Great come back from yesterday. Sorry to hear of Todd's ordeal. The seated is the find of the day, :congrats:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-25-2013, 07:16 PM
My gosh Dave, sounds horrible for Todd. :shocked04: :blackeye:
I think that seated half dollar is tops on my list. Don't see many. Funny how it's feast or famine. Glad you had a great big feast today.

thanks Drew! Todd was like that seateds gotta be worth a few bucks.i said Todd believe it or not your barber half you dug yesterday is worth 10 times as much

Rondoutcreek
08-25-2013, 07:29 PM
DAMN , great finds !!!!!!

Lodge Scent
08-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Very cool finds ! Can't say I ever dug an ox knob of that style!

Epi-hunter
08-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Wow.... I hope Todd is okay! :stretcher: Maybe you guys should start carrying EpiPens (and before anyone asks... no, it's not related in any way to me lol ) Seriously, though, what happened to you Dave last week and what happened to Todd today is way scary.

Those are some incredible finds.... I can't believe the beautiful coins that are being found this month! :perfect10:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Wow.... I hope Todd is okay! :stretcher: Maybe you guys should start carrying EpiPens (and before anyone asks... no, it's not related in any way to me lol ) Seriously, though, what happened to you Dave last week and what happened to Todd today is way scary.

Those are some incredible finds.... I can't believe the beautiful coins that are being found this month! :perfect10:

thanks Angie! what does a epi pen do anyways? if we carry them then there goes our hardcore status right out the window :hysterical:

Epi-hunter
08-25-2013, 10:22 PM
thanks Angie! what does a epi pen do anyways? if we carry them then there goes our hardcore status right out the window :hysterical:

It saves your life if you get stung by too many bees .... if you're dead, your hardcore status won't matter lol rofl :shocked04:

I was going to go relic hunting this fall with Dan and George, but I'm seriously re-thinking it. I don't think I'm hard core enough. :cheesysmile:

Tony Two-Cent
08-26-2013, 11:45 AM
So many great finds in one hunt! :wow:

Draped bust half cent, matron head large cent, CT copper, and a seated half! :omg:

I guess it was your turn to laugh at Todd being stung by bees. :stretcher: lol

(Glad he's OK!)

Congrats on the amazing hunt! |:confused:)

del
08-26-2013, 02:31 PM
:thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: hmmm after reading yours and Todd's posts these last couple of weeks it almost reminds me of one of the detecting shows i saw once. you know where the looser of the bet has to stir up and aggravate a behive or stick their head into a hornets nest lol lol is that what is going on here gentlement :eyebrow: you've brought hardcore relic detecting to levels of the extreme with this new twist thumbsup01 if so videos would be more than appreciative and i would be one of the first to subscribe :-> :-> |:cheering:

Dave what can I say detecting old cellars don't get much better than the day you just had |:confused:) |:confused:) some great great variety of coins , some very nice relics and hey to see your detecting partner screaming through the woods at break neck speeds to avoid molestation of many insects , well lets just say you've truely enjoyed the finer things in life my friend :congrats:

milco
08-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Awesome cellar hole finds! I agree, sounds like a MDing show in the making! Glad to hear Todd is OK!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-26-2013, 04:43 PM
:thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: hmmm after reading yours and Todd's posts these last couple of weeks it almost reminds me of one of the detecting shows i saw once. you know where the looser of the bet has to stir up and aggravate a behive or stick their head into a hornets nest lol lol is that what is going on here gentlement :eyebrow: you've brought hardcore relic detecting to levels of the extreme with this new twist thumbsup01 if so videos would be more than appreciative and i would be one of the first to subscribe :-> :-> |:cheering:

Dave what can I say detecting old cellars don't get much better than the day you just had |:confused:) |:confused:) some great great variety of coins , some very nice relics and hey to see your detecting partner screaming through the woods at break neck speeds to avoid molestation of many insects , well lets just say you've truely enjoyed the finer things in life my friend :congrats:

lol dan! :hysterical: <} rofl to see your detecting partner screaming through the woods at break neck speeds to avoid molestation of many insects , well lets just say you've truely enjoyed the finer things in life my friend :congrats:

holy crap i just about died reading this!

Thiltzy
08-26-2013, 05:12 PM
For the record... I think Dave purposely forgot to mention that there was an enormous colony of yellow Jackets in the dead log.

He was around that area before he guided me over there. He knows I love to turn over branches and logs since we usually find good targets under them.

It was a well schemed plan by Dave... :thinkingabout: I know Todd likes turning over logs. When he disturbs this extremely large nest, he will get stung multiple times while running from the horde he will then trip over the tree branch that is conveniently laying across the only path out of here while crashing down onto his MXT Pro and fortunately breaking it and making detecting with it virtually impossible leaving all of the good targets to myself! :blackeye: :stretcher:

On a more serious note Dave, you had an awesome day for finds. Such a great variety of coins. I told you the day before that you would redeem yourself on this hunt. I must say that I do find some good cellar holes Dave, wouldn't you agree? :beerbuddy:

BTW Dave I did have an extra toggle switch so I will have my machine fixed in no time. I just hope it is only the toggle switch for pinpointing that is broke

del
08-26-2013, 05:21 PM
For the record... I think Dave purposely forgot to mention that there was an enormous colony of yellow Jackets in the dead log.

He was around that area before he guided me over there. He knows I love to turn over branches and logs since we usually find good targets under them.

It was a well schemed plan by Dave... :thinkingabout: I know Todd likes turning over logs. When he disturbs this extremely large nest, he will get stung multiple times while running from the horde he will then trip over the tree branch that is conveniently laying across the only path out of here while crashing down onto his MXT Pro and fortunately breaking it and making detecting with it virtually impossible leaving all of the good targets to myself! :blackeye: :stretcher:

good plan Dave |:confused:) |:confused:)

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-26-2013, 05:29 PM
i asked santa to deliver 2 of these for next years cellar hole assaults

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Using Epipen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgvnt8YA7r8#)

RobW
08-27-2013, 03:30 PM
How come I don't hear of Dan and George ending up in these predicaments:huh: :thinkingabout:

Then again I haven't seen either of them posting finds like this either...the teachers become the teached.... rofl

Awesome finds as always :congrats:

del
08-27-2013, 03:52 PM
How come I don't hear of Dan and George ending up in these predicaments:huh: :thinkingabout:

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago , turned over a small log and the yellow jackets swarmed me i was well covered including a hat with bugnet . they didn't get a chance to sting me but i did run over to G to get away lol lol he swatted them away safely as they didn't mark him to attack like they did me .

Then again I haven't seen either of them posting finds like this either...the teachers become the teached.... rofl

we could if we wanted to suddenly become single again Rob rofl rofl

coinnut
08-27-2013, 07:19 PM
:-> :-> Wow this is a good post :-> Who needs TV when you have this lol nice finds Dave and glad your plan didn't work on Todd too well ;)

We gave up the theater a long time ago. Now we just will the coins out of the ground, no digging needed :shocked04:stretcher:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-27-2013, 07:54 PM

Awesome finds as always :congrats:

Dan & George will always be my Mentors. |:confused:) they have taught me everything I know and for that..I will always be grateful.2 of the best cellar hole hunters I have ever had the pleasure of hunting with & learning from.thanks you guys from the heart.I mean that! thumbsup01
The ole Ball n chain on the ankles will limit your hunting time.I'm blessed to have the time.if they had the time like I do,their collections would be 10 times as impressive as theirs already are

del
08-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Dan & George will always be my Mentors. |:confused:) they have taught me everything I know and for that..I will always be grateful.2 of the best cellar hole hunters I have ever had the pleasure of hunting with & learning from.thanks you guys from the heart.I mean that! thumbsup01
The ole Ball n chain on the ankles will limit your hunting time.I'm blessed to have the time.if they had the time like I do,their collections would be 10 times as impressive as theirs already are

Dave , don't short-change yourself my friend you were already a great detectorist when i first met you on one of the other forums and your posts always had great finds to show. I just introduced you into another directing of this hobby is all , colonial relic hunting and you have shown the perseverance , determination and drive better than anyone i've seen.

you deserve all the credit for everything you have found my friend and i continue to awe and marvel at some of your great recoveries. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Dave , don't short-change yourself my friend you were already a great detectorist when i first met you on one of the other forums and your posts always had great finds to show. I just introduced you into another directing of this hobby is all , colonial relic hunting and you have shown the perseverance , determination and drive better than anyone i've seen.

you deserve all the credit for everything you have found my friend and i continue to awe and marvel at some of your great recoveries. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

thank you Dan! :embarrassed:

Thiltzy
08-27-2013, 09:01 PM
:crying02: :crying02:

coinnut
08-28-2013, 03:45 PM

Dave, we already taught you everything we know :dontknow: You can start dissing us now lol Dan said it best buddy.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-29-2013, 07:15 AM
:crying02: :crying02:

whatsa matta for you huh? :dontknow:

Thiltzy
08-29-2013, 09:47 AM
:peace:

whatsa matta for you huh? :dontknow:
that hallmark moment choked me up

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-29-2013, 06:37 PM
:peace:that hallmark moment choked me up

oh! <}

tanacat
08-29-2013, 09:02 PM
:peace: that hallmark moment choked me up

lol I thought it meant you were still in pain Todd... About the same time Dave got into the hornets nest I got swarmed by yellow jackets. My friend Missy sliced right through a hive (relic hunting-larger shovel) I heard these creepy horrible screams from her and ran to her, (thought it was a snake bite or a big cache of gold coins lol ) and then I ran right through the nest and made those same weird screams :yes: I got stung about 10 times and they still hurt and then itched like crazy for well over a week >:/

I do feel for you buddy. It's traumatic! Hope you heal up and they don't itch forever. About how many stings did you get anyway?

tanacat
08-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Great hunt Dave!!! Wonderful pics as usual, I love the one with the goods displayed on the moss |:cheering:

Wow a seated half :smitten:

bob_e99
09-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Sorry to be late to post but I just saw this. I have to say this is my idea of a dream hunt without question (minus the bees of course)

:congrats: of finding the site and double :congrats: for the simply amazing and awesome finds.

:perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10: