PDA

View Full Version : A great day of lessons learned!

lcoutback
08-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Well, nothing too impressive, but I certainly learned quite a lot today:

1. The ground is HARD when it's this dry! :yes:
2. Pay attention to the strangulation factor with a long headphone cord. A number 11 boot firmly planted on your own cord as you stand equals, well, you get the picture... :stretcher:
3. Look up, while you are looking down! ('nuff said) rofl

This morning I returned to the site where I found the Tootsietoy car Friday afternoon. I spent nearly three hours scouring an area about 30 x 50. I took extra time to learn how to pinpoint a little more accurately with my Ace 350, and even pretended to be an archeologist as I dug layers of 'stuff' working my way to my first target...

I took a little walk, and found Mr. Beaver again, and just took time to eyeball the site from a different perspective.

[attachimg=3]

Since I buggered up my post earlier, I'm not too sure where the pictures are going to end up. Probably with my first coin!

I then ventured to a roadside park (old by our standards) and poked around for a bit. I did manage to add to my bottle cap collection, and even took a dangerous weapon out of possible circulation! (that is, if both blades hadn't been broken on the pocketknife BEFORE it was discarded...) :pirate:

[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]

So... back to the drawing board. Much to learn, much to learn! :interesting:

Epi-hunter
08-25-2013, 09:43 PM
So what fell on your head? lol rofl :cheesysmile:

Those crown caps are a pain in the you know where. I would like to take the person who invented them, as well as the person who invented pull tabs, and hang them upside down and poke them with sticks :poke: lol

Hang in there... you are learning your machine. My suggestion to you - do you have a soccer field or busy park (doesn't have to be old) that you can go to and just dig clad and trash for awhile? I know it doesn't sound very exciting but the more you dig, the more you learn. The ACE 250 (and, I assume, the 350) is a fantastic coinshooter for things that aren't extremely deep, and is also great on jewelry and probably better for gold jewelry than my E-Trac (although it wouldn't take much...) Great photos again by the way! :perfect10:

aloldstuff
08-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Thanks for posting your outings. Even though the goods have not found your coil YET they will come. Very nice pictures and do as suggested. Find that park or soccer field and just dig clad for a while.

POKIE73
08-26-2013, 06:28 AM
their is not one of us that didnt start the same way it takes time the goodies will come congrats on getting out and having a little fun it only gets better dennis :waving: :waving:

Lodge Scent
08-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Ah yes, the dreaded long cord syndrome. My first headphones had a long cord and they were constantly being ripped off my head when in the woods. Don't recall ever strangling myself though :grin:. Keep at it. Sounds like you have the perfect attitude to be a great detectorist someday.

milco
08-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Keep putting in the time and the more you learn the machine, the more you research your locations, the better the finds will get!

tanacat
08-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Very impressive bottle cap collection! lol

Don't worry it gets better |:cheering:

Great nature shot of the beaver :clapping: You and Heavy Metal Nut should get along great :groovy: