PDA

View Full Version : Low Signal yields Tripple Find

buck57
08-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Finally been getting a chance to hunt again. Sold our house and in temp quarters until we make the big move to Florida in Oct.
Went out to the oldest park in town last night and worked around the baseball field. Was swinging the Garrett under an old tree, and was pulling out pull tabs after pull tabs, which all showed as good signals. Then we hit a lower signal but a louder one, and thought maybe a nickel but was just a bit lower,(nickels on the AT Pro come in around a 42, and this one was a strong 38-40) so we dug anyways. About 7 down I could see the shine of silver and out came my very first Barber Dime, :happy: a 1901, BUT scratched it with the digging knife >:{. So I cover up the hole a went to swinging again, but still had a good signal at the same hole. After removing the loose dirt (which right now in this drought, was a lot easier than the first time) out came a buffalo nickel (no date). But before covering up the hole I noticed some green dirt, SO I stuck the pin pointer in one more time, and it rang out instantly, and out came a 1928 wheatie. So you never know what them lower signals will bring you. I was just real surprise I had a nickel signal instead of the silver :confused: Good hunting all.

aloldstuff
08-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Now that is a sweet hole. Funny thing about what we do....we never know whats in that hole.....

:congrats: on your keepers

tanacat
08-28-2013, 03:22 PM
>:{ Don't you hate it when that happens! Congrats on your first Barber Dime :cheering:

I have found some good stuff thinking it was prob a zinc penny but dug anyway :yes: Latest was an IH only 2deep where I assume soil had been moved around. Also lots of tokens when I thought were likely trash. When I have a lot of energy and stamina at an old site sometimes I just DIG IT ALL lol

buck57
08-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Hey thanks al and tanacat. Your both right, you never know on them signals. Looking back, I think my better finds have been on the lower side. Just gotta keep digging. Happy hunting all.

skribnodsister
08-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Nice hunt Buck! :congrats: on your First Barber Dime! :peace:

buck57
08-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks there skibnodsister. That barber is pretty warn, but she's a beauty to me :smitten:

leslie(nova scotia)
08-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Nice silver and I think that scar adds character. Gud read me bouy and continued good hunting! <;)

Lodge Scent
08-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Nice ! 3 in the same hole makes for efficient detecting.

milco
08-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Sweet spill! The lower signal probably has kept other from digging in the past but you went for it, congrats! Pocket spills give crazy signals, so you just never know, gotta dig it all!

Ill Digger
08-28-2013, 10:35 PM
:daydream: Gotta love those old pocket spills! <:
Nice find!
Congrats! :grin:
Those nickles really mess with the readings when mixed with a penny or a dime... heck, even a quarter! :yes: 8/ lol

Tony Two-Cent
08-29-2013, 06:09 AM
Awesome pocket spill! Probably dropped in the 1920s or 1930s by someone sitting under the tree.

Congrats on your first Barber Dime! |:cheering:

:perfect10:

buck57
08-29-2013, 06:48 AM
Hey, thanks for all the nice comments everyone :waving: You know, after reading some of the comments like from Ill Digger and milco about crazy signals from a variety of coins in the same hole, now makes sence :yes: on why I did not get my high 80's reading when I scanned over the area :detecting: . You would think the silver would over ride any other metal but thats why we need to dig-dig-dig.
Thanks again for all the comments. Not only are they a motivation booster, but even more so as an educator. I give you all a :perfect10: Happy hunting

coinnut
08-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Congrats on the silver :clapping: You had some other good finds there as well.

You know, after reading some of the comments like from Ill Digger and milco about crazy signals from a variety of coins in the same hole, now makes sence :yes: on why I did not get my high 80's reading when I scanned over the area :detecting: . You would think the silver would over ride any other metal

A lot of times it depends on how the coins are stacked. If the first coin is a nickel, then the signal would be much lower than if the first coin in the stack was a silver. Iron also can drag down a signal.

Skamaniac
08-29-2013, 10:30 PM
What is the item with the Disston logo? I've seen lots of Disston tools but I don't recognize that one.

mike l
08-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Congrats on your first Barber, sweet find. Heres to many more :beerbuddy:

giant056
08-30-2013, 05:48 AM
Funtastic coinspill thumbsup01

:congrats:

buck57
08-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Hey thanks coin nut, Skamaniac, mike I and giant056 for all the comments. It still boggles my mind on how an iron signal can over ride a silver. That just means having to go back over already worked ground and alot more digging. :grin:

What is the item with the Disston logo? I've seen lots of Disston tools but I don't recognize that one.

Hey Skamaniac, this was a pocket knife. I looked up this company on google and Henry Disston & Sons started making saws back in 1840. On this knife, it says it was made by Disston Saws Steel. I am going to send a photo of the knife to the Disston Musem (which they have in Philidelphia) and see if they can determine a manufacture date.
Goody hunting everyone.