PDA

View Full Version : My best token yet!

Beefcake
05-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Got a late start tonight and decided to hunt a teaching friend's house. It was built in 1887 and it was a quick run through. Found a few wheaties, an old costume jewelry fake amethyst pin, and this really sweet token. I haven't been able to find much about this Doctor or the time period, but I'm guessing early 1900's. It is in phenomenal condition. Fact, I thought it was silver because of the lack of tarnish, but it feels too lite to me...I'm guessing aluminum. The details are still perfect on it and only a couple of rim dings. I found it at 6 under the clothesline. It gave a good 12-46 12-47 signal but wasn't fluty. Here's the pics... any info would be appreciated!

angellionel
05-06-2010, 10:13 PM
That token really is in great condition. I believe it is aluminum. If so, it has held up much better than the ones I find out here. Great find, BC!

coinnut
05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey BC, that guy kinda looks like Grant lol I think that is a laxative he's selling ;) Found a reference to it on a token seller's auction. If you want to contact him, he may give you an idea on it's value. I think this guy knows his tokens from what I have seen on his web page. Your token is on that page listed as auction item #1222. Give him an e mail and see what happens. One of the nicest looking aluminum tokens I've seen come out of the ground in a long time. Congrats!!

http://www.exonumia.com/fs/vack7.htm

Beefcake
05-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah, it's way too light to be silver. Mine usually have little rust spots and deterioration that I find around here too. I can't find a pic of it on the net anywhere...someone had one for sale on ebay, but it is removed and couldn't see the pic and they had no history with it. He started making the stuff in the late 1880's and continued into the 60's from what I have found. But for a 10 cent trade token, it must have been fairly old to make 10 cents worth your while in trade.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
very nice! hope ya find out some info on it!

Ill Digger
05-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Hey BC, that guy kinda looks like Grant lol I think that is a laxative he's selling ;)
lol He does look like Grant!
Nice find Beef!!
Boy ,that thing held up great!!
Almost all my older aluminum tokens have the cancer :(
Sweet find!
Congrats :grin:
P.S. Wish ya could of made it to the hunt. Would of been cool to meet ya. But I understand. It's pretty hard to pay the bills with a handful of dirty clad. lol
Maybe next time.

del
05-07-2010, 02:45 AM
great looking token Beef , i agree it looks early 1900's . very sweet

Lowjiber
05-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Nice one Beef!!!

Here's some history of the company...

http://www.cityofmonticello.net/cms/publish/pepsinsyrup.shtml

Schrecky
05-08-2010, 02:47 PM
That is sweat, way to go.

handyman
05-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Whoa!!!! That is a really cool token. Best one ive seen. Way to go.

tanacat
05-08-2010, 08:24 PM
That is very nice token! thumbsup01 Who's Grant? :huh:

coinnut
05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
That is very nice token! thumbsup01 Who's Grant? :huh:

I think his first name is Cary lol