PDA

View Full Version : Business Cards

Skamaniac
08-31-2013, 05:28 PM
I'd like to have some business cards with my contact info to hand out regarding metal detecting. Does anyone use them, and what do they look like? I'd like to have the Code of Ethics on the back to help assure folks I'm not one of those guys.

TundraDigger
09-01-2013, 05:00 AM
I have always thought about cards also. Try VistaPrint to design something. You can upload any design or photo and it is very reasonable. My wife uses it for her pet sitting business. Years ago I made a card on my own computer but with ink jet printer if the card gets wet it smears.

You could always post them with a flyer stating that you would help someone find lost items in exchange for being able to detect on their property. Post them on bulletin boards.

coinnut
09-01-2013, 06:24 PM
I had some made up on line, but after seeing them in person, I would recommend going to a print shop and seeing some samples. I guess if I had picked a better color paper stock, I could have lived with them. But they are a very good way of reassuring some one of who you are. They do work. Let us see one if you get some done.

Boulder
09-03-2013, 01:44 AM
Interesting, I would luv to see pics of designs of cards used by members.
It is such a simple yet productive way of introduction, wish I had thought of it for MD'ing. :daydream:

coinnut
09-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Interesting, I would luv to see pics of designs of cards used by members.
It is such a simple yet productive way of introduction, wish I had thought of it for MD'ing. :daydream:

Here is one of my old cards. Since this is the internet lol, I've blanked out my name and town, along with the e mail address I use that was on the front of the card. I wanted a way to show all of my hobbies, since you never know when someone has some of the things I like sitting in a closet or cellar. :thinkingabout: Kind of like casually mentioning you like old cars and they show you an old Corvette in the garage they were going to just tow away :shocked04: lol Be creative but be safe about what you put on the card.
[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Epi-hunter
09-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Members here can feel free to use the AD logo and website on cards, as well as the code of ethics as posted here. We did have some business card designs already set up with this info (with space to allow for personalization).

Fire Fighter 43
09-06-2013, 07:15 PM
This is mine, I used Vista Print and I think it was like $10 for 500 about 4-5 years ago. I've always been an Independent member of FMDAC and my local Historical Society. In my opinion it adds a little credibility, every little bit helps when approaching someone for permission.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/firegolf43/ba754132babbbc9732cbcd71d0e66c8d_zps7169d019.jpg

Skamaniac
09-06-2013, 07:44 PM
This is mine, I used Vista Print and I think it was like $10 for 500 about 4-5 years ago. I've always been an Independent member of FMDAC and my local Historical Society. In my opinion it adds a little credibility, every little bit helps when approaching someone for permission.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll27/firegolf43/ba754132babbbc9732cbcd71d0e66c8d_zps7169d019.jpg

I like this a lot.

CTTodd
09-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Here's mine
The land owners love them.

bob_e99
09-12-2013, 05:29 AM
I have also considered getting cards and have met several detectorists who have them. From my point of view though (and I emphasize my), I would not use the word treasure as it conjures up chests full of gold and jewelry. I can see it in people's eyes when they ask me if I'm hunting for treasure and I respond with No, just looking for old coins. Most lose interest in what I'm doing pretty quickly. I think I would use the term relic in its place. Just my thought.

CTTodd
09-12-2013, 06:14 PM
I have also considered getting cards and have met several detectorists who have them. From my point of view though (and I emphasize my), I would not use the word treasure as it conjures up chests full of gold and jewelry. I can see it in people's eyes when they ask me if I'm hunting for treasure and I respond with No, just looking for old coins. Most quickly lose interest in what I'm doing pretty quickly. I think I would use the term relic in its place. Just my thought.

You are absolutely right. I don't even mention coins. I keep it all about fun and hobby and not about money.

Boulder
09-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Very nice idea's. :congrats:

I need to find time to explore my options and get r done.

Thanks to all, John.

danhughes
09-13-2013, 06:46 AM
I've done two podcasts (radio shows on the internet) about designing and using business cards.

Listen to shows #77 and #94 at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

Dick Stout
09-20-2013, 05:21 PM
I think business cards are essential if you are a detectorist. Having the code of ethics is a great idea too although I would think the print would be awful small? I order mine from mpix.

danhughes
09-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Dick, putting the Code on a business card is akin to the disclaimers you see (well, you KINDA see) fly across your TV screen at the end of those prescription-med ads.

Hunt4Fun
09-22-2013, 06:28 PM
I print my own cards using Print Explosion Deluxe software.[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

swamp yankee
09-23-2013, 09:00 PM
I'd like to have some business cards with my contact info to hand out regarding metal detecting. Does anyone use them, and what do they look like? I'd like to have the Code of Ethics on the back to help assure folks I'm not one of those guys.
I had some made and it lends a legit air to negotiating w/ owners they don't get from the rest. Hit ratio went up quite a bit and giving one to cops seems to put them at ease(and my having a ccp in 3 states helps)so they know I'm cool....

Boulder
09-24-2013, 08:21 PM
I ordered some cards to get the ball rolling, and of course my mind went blank when it came to ideas.
Nothing fancy, but it is a start.

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

danhughes
09-24-2013, 08:24 PM
John, the majestic splendor of that ship, the dramatic colors of your card, and the words Research and Discovery Association all combine to scare the stuffing out of me. It gives me visions of you bringing on a crew of bulldozers to excavate for treasure chests!

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful card, but maybe a bit too stentorian to be used when asking if you can poke around someone's yard and maybe find a few pennies. Simpler and friendlier may get you more yesses.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Please let us know the reactions you get!

---Dan

Boulder
09-24-2013, 08:43 PM
John, the majestic splendor of that ship, the dramatic colors of your card, and the words Research and Discovery Association all combine to scare the stuffing out of me. It gives me visions of you bringing on a crew of bulldozers to excavate for treasure chests!

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful card, but maybe a bit too stentorian to be used when asking if you can poke around someone's yard and maybe find a few pennies. Simpler and friendlier may get you more yesses.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Please let us know the reactions you get!

---Dan

Good then the message did come across lol

As I mentioned I went blank and just filled in the blanks on the card form. >:\

I will keep looking for ideas for the next batch, thanks for the input, John. :interesting:

Skamaniac
09-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Well, I ordered a small batch to see how they work and how I like them. Now, if I can just figure out why the scanner isn't talking to the computer, then rectify same, I will post a photo.

Boulder
09-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Well, I ordered a small batch to see how they work and how I like them. Now, if I can just figure out why the scanner isn't talking to the computer, then rectify same, I will post a photo.

I ordered mine online from V-Print and they should be here in about a week, it was only 10 bucks for 500 cards and like 4 bucks for side two printing. I copied and saved the review samples so I could post them now.
I also have a printer problem with my HP usb laserjet printing when it wants as HP still does not have drivers to support it's printer in Win-8.
I hate Win-8 and miss Win-2000 which I feel was the best Windows release with the stability of a Mac OS.
Can't wait to see your new cards, John. :->

CTTodd
09-26-2013, 06:43 PM
That's where I got mine they were very reasonable cost and came out great.

Boulder
09-26-2013, 08:36 PM
That's where I got mine they were very reasonable cost and came out great.

I like that your card has its own mug shot, I'm just to ugly to promote.
For now as a 1st try card for MD'ing, it will break the ice and allow me time to observe and design new ideas after the 500 are gone, and as you said the price is right.
Looking forward to see what ideas others come up with.
John. :->

Boulder
10-03-2013, 09:32 PM
My detecting cards came today any I must say a proof reading of the actual/physical card would of been nice.
While the cards are nice and a good value for the money, some of the print are smaller than I would of liked for my old eyes.
Next time I will be much better prepared. :groovy:
John.