PDA

View Full Version : OPINION'S PLEASE

Rondoutcreek
09-01-2013, 03:16 AM
I KNOW THERE ARE GOING TO BE MANY DIFFERENT OPINION's oN THIS TOPIC BUT WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST DETECTOR FOR HUNTING AROUND IRON RIDDLED CELLAR HOLES :huh::huh:thinkingabout:

Lowjiber
09-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Wait for HEAVYMETALNUT to respond and buy whatever he says. No kidding.

Remember, it's not the wand... it's the wizard.

BTW: Try to refrain from all-caps. On forums, it's considered a shout.

del
09-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Rondoutcreek , detectors with very fast recover speeds seem to do better at picking up targets in the heavy iron but those detectors usually don't go very deep. those detectors generally don't have the better discrimination as the higher end models and because they have the faster recovery they often don't detect as deep as the higher end ones either . so they find the shallow targets in the iron but leave the deepers ones so you might need two types of machines because i don't think theres just one out there now that does it all .

there are a couple of machines that come to mind (remember these are my opinions only) the mxt pro has a great recovery speeds and has proven itself to be s formidable relic detector , i've personally seen the ctx3030 and e-trac find good targets in iron infested areas , i've been hearing about the ATgold and its super fast recover speed too.

As John pointed out the more cappable you are with any particular machine the better you are able to pick out the goods in the iron.

I've been using a dfx for 7 years around these cellars and do pretty well , i like it because i can go from its normal filters 3-6 when doing fields to find the deeper targets and still switch it to 2 filters around cellars foundations to pick out some hiding around the iron. coils make a huge difference in searching around these sites too.

Dan

coinnut
09-01-2013, 06:00 PM
I guess the best way to say this.... is that no matter what detector you choose, it will find most of the bigger items. The real difference comes to play when you want to unmask targets. Most of Minelab's machines do a great job of it. So do the higher end White's machines. Some prefer the Fisher CZ3D with a small coil. Also the Deus has a very fast recovery speed. But like Del said, it always seems to be a battle between recovery speed, depth and target Id. So read some posts and see what everyone is finding and with what and then tell us what you choose and why. We can then help you out a bit more.

milco
09-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Remember, it's not the wand... it's the wizard.

Well said!

CTTodd
09-20-2013, 10:30 AM
I think all of the above is true and well said. What I would add to this is that if its really bad iron as you said at a given site I would not only use one of these above mentioned units but I would reduce my coil size and slow to a literal crawl with the sweep. This method with an Etrac or CTX is deadly. This is just my version and we haven't heard from..........DAVE