PDA

View Full Version : Dateless Spanish Reale

angellionel
05-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Late afternoon hunts at local parks yesterday and today yielded a few interesting items plus a few silver coins.

These two I found yesterday at a field near where I had worked a marshy area this past Wednesday.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/May/silvercoins_050610.jpg

I like this old Gold Medal advertising pin. I found it today while detecting at another local park. It was issued by the Washburn Crosby Co. which became General Mills in 1928.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/May/goldmedalfourpin_050710.jpg

Before heading back home I decided to take a walk into the wooded area surrounding the park, but after a short while the mosquitoes were attempting to feast on me. :shocked02: I didn't have any repellent with me so I knew I was not going to last long. But then I hit on a soft tone by the base of a large tree, with Fe/Co numbers hitting a steady 12-39. As soon as I push my trowel into the soil I knew I was in trouble - there were large roots in the way! :bangahead02: At this point it was as if the mosquitoes instinctively knew I would be there for a while and began to bombard me. :shocked04: It took me about eight minutes to pry my way through the very thick roots. I was finally able to create a small entry into the soft soil between the roots which allowed me to slowly scoop out dirt and retrieve the target. It ended being a very worn Spanish half Reale, just slightly smaller than a dime. I can't make out the date, but it counts. :cheesysmile:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/May/spanishreale_050710.jpg

coinnut
05-07-2010, 07:49 PM
It ended being a very worn Spanish Reale, just slightly smaller than a dime. I can't make out the date, but it counts. :cheesysmile:

:lol: It sure does count. That read really low for a half reale :confused: Pobably because it's so worn. Nice bunch of coins and what's with the reale kick? :lol: Stay out of our century :bop: :rofl:

z118
05-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Awesome. The merc and the quarter would make my day. I'd likely pass out if I found the reale. Congrats!

Spike
05-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Wow! Neat Reale- date or no date! How old you think the flour pin is? I have one that says You can do better with Town Talk Flour Americas Finest Flour- probably about same age.....I'll have to post it.

angellionel
05-07-2010, 10:37 PM
:lol: It sure does count. That read really low for a half reale :confused: Pobably because it's so worn. Nice bunch of coins and what's with the reale kick? :lol: Stay out of our century :bop::rofl:

Yeah, I think the wear on it did not allow for a stronger hit. The reading was similar to that of a three cents silver piece, though even that hits at about Co 40/41 on the one I have tested. :confused: I had been expecting something old since it was under such thick roots, but not that old. :lol:

Wow! Neat Reale- date or no date! How old you think the flour pin is? I have one that says You can do better with Town Talk Flour Americas Finest Flour- probably about same age.....I'll have to post it.

The best info I have found indicates that it is from 1914. :yes:

Ill Digger
05-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Heck yeah it counts!! :yes:
I'm with Z...I'd probably faint :twirlingeyes: :lol:
Awesome finds!!
Congrats :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-08-2010, 05:46 AM
:shocked04: :drool: i think your niche is park hunting. unfreakinbeliveable! with your luck you are due for a cache of gold coins under the park porto-potty. :tongue:.
pretty cool that there was just enough left to identify it :thumbsup01:

John M
05-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Great looking finds Angel.I have noticed on my xlt that the Half Reales do have lower vdi then other silver coins,maybe do to their thickness.

leslie(nova scotia)
05-08-2010, 07:19 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....silver in any form is a good find. Congrats!

angellionel
05-08-2010, 07:26 AM
:shocked04: :drool: i think your niche is park hunting. unfreakinbeliveable! with your luck you are due for a cache of gold coins under the park porto-potty. :tongue:.
pretty cool that there was just enough left to identify it :thumbsup01:

:lol: :lol:

I will be working that wooded area a bit more carefully this late fall, once the mosquitoes and weeds die off. :yes:

Great looking finds Angel.I have noticed on my xlt that the Half Reales do have lower vdi then other silver coins,maybe do to their thickness.

I think you are right, John. :yes: They sure do make for unexpected but fun finds.

randy
05-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Nice silver again Angel. The half reale I found was pretty beat up and read about +46 in the White's system. So lesson learned I guess -- dig those lower ones and you may get Spanish silver.

RIdetector
05-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Nice haul of silver!!!! Great Hunt!!!!

moseng
05-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Sweet! Really like the Reale! It's on my list still! I used to live in New Hampshire and plan to get back there for a visit soon... so please leave some of those babies in the ground for me ok! :rofl: Congrats!!

Epi-hunter
05-10-2010, 02:23 PM
I would pass out if I found the reale, too. Actually I probably wouldn't have a clue of what it was :rolleyes:

Beautiful finds. Love the token.

Geodawn
05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Mighty nice finds there Angel. I can sympathize with the feeling of a good target, mosquitoes and no repellent. No perseverance - you were rewarded!