PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday's cellar holes Most* Unique Half Cent and Gorgeous 2 Cent coin*

Thiltzy
09-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Three new cellar holes yesterday with Dave and we both had decent days. I was envious watching Dave dig that US baby belt plate yet it gave me hope that there would be some other goodies to dig at our first site.

I few feet from Dave's buckle I got a nice coin signal when out popped a jagged edge object. :thinkingabout: I was thinking clock gear at first look but I thought it sounded to much like a coin to be anything other than a coin. At closer inspection in some day light I noticed the Draped Bust motif. Turns out to be an 1808 Draped Bust Half Cent :shocked04: No idea why someone would modify the coin with jagged edges:huh: :dontknow: This site was extremely over grown but did squeak out a cloaker and tombac before we moved on. Must get back there in Fall/Winter.

Second site was wide open and clear but only managed a 1867 and 1902 Indian along with some pewter decorative plate piece that seems kind of interesting.

Third site again was over grown with big ferns and full of iron. I did find an 1875 Indian in the old road in front of the cellar but unfortunately it looks like it was ridden over back in the day, what a shame >:/ Moved over to a ferny field across the road and got a gorgeous 2 cent piece 1866. Darkness was setting in so we called it a day.

coinnut
09-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Wow, That Two Cent Piece is gorgeous. Dan found that exact one in super shape too. Real nice. :clapping: The half cent is a unique find for sure. I guess someone was bored and made a great relic for you. The two center cleaned up sweet, but the half cent lost a lot of detail. Both are banner worthy finds |:confused:)

Tony Two-Cent
09-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Incredible finds, Todd! :wow:

That half cent is really interesting. I have seen large cents with a toothed edge like that, but they always have a hole in the middle. I've read that they were used as pie crust crimpers.

But that two cent piece! WOW! That thing was BRAND NEW when it was dropped! :drool: Without a doubt its the nicest dug two-center I've ever seen!

And to top it off you found a couple of scarce date Indian Heads too. |:cheering:

Congrats on the awesome day! |:confused:)

Thiltzy
09-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Wow, That Two Cent Piece is gorgeous. Dan found that exact one in super shape too. Real nice. :clapping: The half cent is a unique find for sure. I guess someone was bored and made a great relic for you. The two center cleaned up sweet, but the half cent lost a lot of detail. Both are banner worthy finds |:confused:)
I hear ya about the half cent, I was hoping it would clean up nice but when I did a light tooth brush, soap and water the smooth looking patina came right off :dontknow: I was really surprised crying01

That half cent is really interesting. I have seen large cents with a toothed edge like that, but they always have a hole in the middle. I've read that they were used as pie crust crimpers.

But that two cent piece! WOW! That thing was BRAND NEW when it was dropped! :drool: Without a doubt its the nicest dug two-center I've ever seen!

And to top it off you found a couple of scarce date Indian Heads too. |:cheering:

Thanks Tony, that is actually my first 2 center. They seem to avoid my coil lol That is some great info on the tooth edged coins used for pie crust(interesting)

del
09-01-2013, 07:23 PM
wow very unique half cent , last year of the draped busts |:cheering: |:cheering: yup i have the same year two center mine is a beauty too :loveit: congrats on a fine day out Todd :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-01-2013, 07:33 PM
wow i thought it was gonna be the other way around with those 2 coins.what a shock :shocked03: the 2 center doesn't even look like it spent one day in the dirt thumbsup01

Lodge Scent
09-01-2013, 07:34 PM
A couple of very nice finds ! :congrats:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-01-2013, 07:43 PM

I thought they could have been used as spur rowels with a hole in the center too

Bell-Two
09-01-2013, 08:42 PM
That is an amazing hunt, unique half cent for sure, nice Indians and that two cent piece wow! What is it about two cent pieces they seem to be real nice or real scuzzy! Great finds!

fsa46
09-02-2013, 06:15 AM
I couldn't wait to see your post of this hunt Todd, and I wasn't disappointed . Great finds and the two cent is awesome.

:congrats: on a great outing. Best part is neither you or Dave needed the Purple Heart awarded on this hunt. lol

Thiltzy
09-02-2013, 09:18 AM
I couldn't wait to see your post of this hunt Todd, and I wasn't disappointed . Great finds and the two cent is awesome.

:congrats: on a great outing. Best part is neither you or Dave needed the Purple Heart awarded on this hunt. lol
lol Yeah Frank, we will save the purple heart for another hunt hopefully Dave gets the next purple heart award. I am done with purple hearts :stretcher:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-02-2013, 10:31 AM
lol Yeah Frank, we will save the purple heart for another hunt hopefully Dave gets the next purple heart award. I am done with purple hearts :stretcher:

that wasn't very nice :bop: wishing bodily harm on me? \:hammer: >:tongue: i'll getcha!

aloldstuff
09-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Fantastic looking 2 center. Very strong WE and it looks like it was dropped the day it was minted. Thanks for posting the 1/2 cent, I am willing to bet that will be the only one cut like that....

RobW
09-03-2013, 01:29 PM
:loveit:...2 awesome finds :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
09-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Everything looks in good shape, nice drainage :cheesysmile: That 2cent is fabulous! Congrats!

whydah
09-04-2013, 07:35 PM
gorgeous 2 center... hey who ever did those edges sure did a nice job... nice and even all the way around... pretty cool...

CTTodd
09-16-2013, 07:10 PM
I couldn't imagine why the guy did that to the half cent but I sure do like. It's got crusty old LCs all beat to hell

milco
09-17-2013, 06:48 AM
:wow: Awesome finds there Todd, that 2 center is a real looker :shocked04:! Perhaps someone either used the modified LC for another tool or purpose or they simply carved out all of their LC's that way to melt the copper down for another purpose, a real unique find for sure!