PDA

View Full Version : End of summer beach hunt - 2013

bob_e99
09-02-2013, 05:49 PM
The last two weeks of August have become the high point of the year as I get to spend time with my son and his family. We did a lot of early morning beach hunts and while it was not as good as previous years, we did ok. As my son mentioned in his post, the number of detectorists has gone up by a fair amount so it's getting harder to get large quantities of anything (clad, jewelry or what nots). One of the high points of the two weeks was getting to meet Dan (Del) on Thursday morning and spending a few minutes to chat. It would have been nice to spend a bit more time with him but we didn't want to take away from his detecting time. I think just shaking his hand brought me luck as I found the ring with the cross and the class ring on that day. On Friday, the following day, I found a small bling ring, two silver rings and the owl. After that it was all hard work and just clad to show for it. Maybe a firmer hand shake would have got me a couple of more days of luck. When said and done, the clad came out to $30.53 which doesn't cover the cost of a medium size good fried clams. My son outdid me for gold (as well as coin total) and if you look at his post and look at minutia that he finds, you can see an obvious difference in our detecting style.

In any case, it was tough to see it come to an end, as all things must but we have some great memories in additions to the rings.

And Dan, thanks again for taking the time to chat with us. I sincerely enjoyed meeting you.

coinnut
09-02-2013, 06:20 PM
I think both of you guys did extremely well. I would have come home with just clad lol Nice bunch of jewelry finds :clapping: I hate to think of how many holes you two dug :shocked04:stretcher: A vacation to remember and now you plan for next year. Maybe I can join you two next time.

z118
09-02-2013, 06:31 PM
I think both of you guys did extremely well. I would have come home with just clad lol Nice bunch of jewelry finds :clapping: I hate to think of how many holes you two dug :shocked04:stretcher: A vacation to remember and now you plan for next year. Maybe I can join you two next time.

Holes nothing, toward the end of the second week I started wondering about how many pounds of sand we had moved... or maybe tons? lol Lots of holes, that's for sure, and some big ones to boot!

It was a great two weeks, no doubt. Your two silver rings outweigh my 10 small pieces of silver. I'm already looking forward to next year.

BTW, here's your ring:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP05167

I told you they were expensive... Although I have to doubt anyone actually pays the prices listed on that site. At that price you could buy quite a few orders of fried clams!

del
09-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Bob if I had known ahead of time my handshake was going to give ya some luck , trust me I would of shook a bit longer lol lol be assured next year will be different my friend . you two guys did very well , next time i'm not hanging around the northern corner ;) where did most of the finds come from the wet or the dry sands?? the Tiffany ring and the class rings are super Bob :clapping: :clapping: I very much enjoyed our chat and next year coffee and donuts are on me after when the beach starts to get crowded .

Dan

fsa46
09-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Looks like you and you son had some fun hunts |:cheering:. Those are some of the good times that will always be remembered.

Tony Two-Cent
09-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Lots of finds and some nice pieces of silver! |:cheering:

Maybe I'll get the chance to shake Dan's hand for some luck someday too. :crossfingers: lol

aloldstuff
09-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Wish I could have made it up there to meet everybody. My mother lives on Boar Head. Great finds, what time of the day did you start?

bob_e99
09-03-2013, 12:27 PM

That would be really nice if you could join us next year. I got lucky this year with some rings even if a majority of them were junk. Z still outdoes me with the gold ones. >:{

Holes nothing, toward the end of the second week I started wondering about how many pounds of sand we had moved... or maybe tons? lol Lots of holes, that's for sure, and some big ones to boot!

It was a great two weeks, no doubt. Your two silver rings outweigh my 10 small pieces of silver. I'm already looking forward to next year.

BTW, here's your ring:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP05167

Yes, we did move a lot of sand. I'm still finding it in my clothes. :yes:
Thanks for the Tiffany link. Needless to say, I was quite surprised at that cost :wow:

Bob if I had known ahead of time my handshake was going to give ya some luck , trust me I would of shook a bit longer lol lol be assured next year will be different my friend . you two guys did very well , next time i'm not hanging around the northern corner ;) where did most of the finds come from the wet or the dry sands?? the Tiffany ring and the class rings are super Bob :clapping: :clapping: I very much enjoyed our chat and next year coffee and donuts are on me after when the beach starts to get crowded .

Dan

Wet or dry is a great debate question. Matt will say go for the wet although I believe a majority of his gold rings have been found in the dry. I found the two silver rings in the dry on the north end right above where you were detecting (sorry). The others I found in the wet. IMO, I think it's a crapshoot and you have to do both. With so many detectorists on the beach, luck has a lot to do with it (again my opinion).

I will look forward to next year and hope we can meet again.

Looks like you and you son had some fun hunts |:cheering:. Those are some of the good times that will always be remembered.

Without doubt. |:cheering:

Lots of finds and some nice pieces of silver! |:cheering:

Maybe I'll get the chance to shake Dan's hand for some luck someday too. :crossfingers: lol

Don't laugh too hard. It's the only thing that explains my finds for those two days. ;)

Wish I could have made it up there to meet everybody. My mother lives on Boar Head. Great finds, what time of the day did you start?

Would be nice if you could also make it up for a hunt on the beach. Boar's head is a beautiful location without doubt.
I would normally start around 4:00 AM and my son around 5:00 AM and stay until about 9:00 AM when people started to fill the beach. One night I pulled an all nighter starting at 12:30 AM. Now, I'm no prude but after seeing what was happening on the beach in those wee hours of the morning is going to require a LOT of therapy. :shocked03:

Thank you everyone for taking the time for posting your comments. In any of you are in the area next summer, my son and I would enjoy meeting you and perhaps sitting down afterwards for a bite to eat and drink.

Good hunting.