PDA

View Full Version : Back to Land Hunts

bob_e99
09-04-2013, 04:58 PM
:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Since getting back from vacation, the weather has been on and off thunderstorms with high humidity but today (Wednesday) was just perfect so I decided to get back to my land hunts. I didn’t have any place in mind so I made a last minute decision. I couldn’t find the site initially so I ended up going to a park that I had hunted previously with no keepers. As per the last time, I was finding small amounts of clad but about 70 minutes into the hunt I hit a nice silver ring. About 20 minutes after that the town showed up to mow the lawn and I didn’t want to be in the way so I headed out to find my original site. When I got there, I headed down a trail and about after four minutes, I got a nice signal (still sounded like a clad quarter to me). Down about 10 inches I pulled a coin that was brown so I figured it was clad. As I normally do, I rubbed the coin to remove excess dirt but to my surprise, silver was showing up. Without my glasses (which I left in the car) I figured I had a silver washington but I wasn’t recognizing it so like an idiot, I rubbed some more >:{ >:{ >:{. Could it be a foreign coin or maybe a Barber? Didn’t look like it so I squinted some more and almost fainted when I thought I saw a seated liberty. For people who have never found one, the thrill of the first one is beyond description <:. I was giddy beyond belief. If the ring had made my day, this makes the month. I could not believe it was happening to me. About 75 minutes later, I got a broken signal beneath a large old tree and practically blew my brains when I pulled out a large copper. It probably doesn’t show well in the picture but it’s a 1798 draped bust which I will try to clean up a bit more. Now I was sure the alarm would go off and I would wake up. Now I guess I will have to stop claiming bad luck but I just don’t know how I can do another hunt after this. This is going to be hard to top.

Some of the other stuff I found was what I believe is a bullet that hit a stone or something hard, a shell casing, a neat old toy army jeep and a pretty new boy scout tie clip.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

aloldstuff
09-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Bob, WTG....and huge :congrats: on getting your 1st seated quarter.. |:cheering:
Still looking for my 1st seated quarter.

I also have to wear glasses but I do not wear them when I detect so I probably would have done the same thing..rub.. :thumbsdown:

Also getting that 1798 Draped Bust copper would make my month, I would kill to get any LC with the bust facing right.

Great hunting and welcome back to land hunting.

Al

del
09-04-2013, 05:12 PM
:shocked03: wow Bob you found some great coins , the draped bust looks to have very decent details :loveit: and the seated quarter is a beauty :perfect10: :perfect10: |:cheering: big congrats on your first :yes: :clapping: :clapping:

Dan

Tony Two-Cent
09-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Wow, what an amazing day! |:confused:) :wow:

TWO incredible finds in one hunt! I can't decide which coin is better, the seated quarter or the 1798 draped bust! Both are spectacular!

Huge congrats on your terrific finds! :perfect10:

z118
09-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Sweet merciful holy frickin stinkin what the heck. For all the wailing and moaning and gnashing of teeth I have listened to about your lack of finds and bad luck and what a bad year it's been and blahbitty blahbitty blah!

Please be formally advised you are hereby banned from any griping for a period of no less than one year. And if you think you might be tempted to complain in any way about your finds before the year is up you are going to want to be using a very small coil because I will be sorely tempted to promptly stick that coil where the sun don't shine!

And here I am trying not to feel sorry for myself now that vacation is over and I'm back at work and who knows when I'll get out detecting again and you go ahead and dig up this preposterous treasure! Two sweet coins I have never dug and would give my left arm for! I tell ya my ass is so profoundly chapped right now I can scarcely see straight!

lol

Ahem, what I mean to say of course is :omg: and :wow: and HUGE :congrats: !!! I'd be walking on air for months with either one of those digs. When you go on a hunt and dig TWO coins like that you know you are doing something right. Either coin would be a first for me and the cent would be a new oldest. If you tell me you are doing anything tomorrow other than heading back to that spot I may just drive back to New England and confiscate your detector right now.

Just unreal. Holy cow... I can only imagine how thrilled you must be. Congrats! I'm beyond happy for you.

ps: I wasn't kidding about the complaining and where the coil will wind up. lol

RobW
09-05-2013, 08:13 AM
:shocked04:...what a huntA :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I would be beside myself too :bananadance:

bob_e99
09-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my post. Good hunting to all.

coinnut
09-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Seated and Largie all in one day :pirate: Coins are not safe from you anymore lol Officially you have to lose your rookie status :dontknow: Sorry.