PDA

View Full Version : At least I found a button...

lcoutback
09-06-2013, 10:47 PM
It seems my new Friday-after-work-get-away-from-the-bozos schedule is to play in the dirt! :happydance01:

This evening I went to a site I have been curious about for some time, and had a local fellow draw me a map. Then the land owner said go for it... thumbsup01

It's an old picnic site that was used by the Hibernians (an Irish organization) for an annual picnic / playday of sorts in the late 1910's to the early 1920's. I'm told it was a two to three day event with foot races, horse races and lots of food and spirits... :beerbuddy:

I had a couple hours before dark, and discovered the 'pleasures' of swinging a coil in the sagebrush! >:{ Definitely a challenge. I did net a modern bullet that could have come in from any direction...
[attachimg=1]

What's left of a horseshoe and what I believe is a jar lid (the ring only)...
[attachimg=2]

My personal favorite, however, is this button...
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]

I ended the night getting skunked, BIG TIME, on a hole that I really thought had promise. I picked up a faint signal that my Ace 350 said was deep. After kicking the loose soil, rocks, etc back a couple inches it was stronger so I kept at it. 15 minutes later, after pulling soil, sweeping my pile and continuing to get a good signal in the hole, everything went away. :dontknow:

Lesson #4 in the Pardee school of learning to become a detectorist... Check your batteries!!! :shocked04:verreaction:

Thanks for indulging me, and happy hunting! :detecting:

OxShoeDrew
09-07-2013, 02:44 AM
:) I was doing the same thing after work yesterday. Same results too lol

Hard to believe there isn't more stuff there. The mason lid is a good sign. I bet you just missed the hot spots. Keep looking and good luck with that target when you get some batts :crossfingers:

Lodge Scent
09-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Yep, got to be some silver hiding there. Keep at it !

coinnut
09-08-2013, 07:10 PM
You are getting closer to finding coins. At least you have the shape right lol Now it has to say one cent on it thumbsup01 I like finding the iron buttons along with the rest of the different types of buttons.

lcoutback
09-09-2013, 04:51 PM
I was showing a friend my awesome collection of bottle caps and scrap iron yesterday, :hysterical: and he thinks the partial shoe I found would be an ox shoe, not a horse shoe because it isn't curved. :thinkingabout:

Any thoughts?

OxShoeDrew
09-09-2013, 05:51 PM
I think I am qualified to answer this one... lol That is not an ox shoe. \:hammer: lol

Looks like a broken horse shoe to me but I don't know for sure.

Epi-hunter
09-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I think I am qualified to answer this one... lol

lol lol

OxShoeDrew
09-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Could be a mule shoe too. :dontknow:
Somebody will chime in.