PDA

View Full Version : Rain, Thunder and Lightning

coinnut
05-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Yep, we're stupid lol We detect every Saturday and we really don't care what the weatherman says :rolleyes: So, on our way by 4:40 this morning, it was raining along with some nice thunder and lightning. It did that in waves all day long. It stopped when we stopped around 2ish :ticked: Made for an uncomfortable hunt, not to mention our machines aren't exactly happy with us either :huh: I had a really good day even though I felt like we were gonna get zapped any minute lol Found two fattie Indians, both 1863's, a 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent, a nice decorated Tombac, and some other odds and ends and my 4th George Washington Inagural Button. thumbsup01 BUT I have come to the realization, I am alive for one sole purpose.... To find all the crappiest GW buttons, so the rest of you can find the nice ones :bangahead01: This one was cut down from a full size button to one the size of a quarter. Not to be outdone, it also had a square nail punched right through the GW part of it rofl One of these days I WILL find a nice one :crying02: It looks like someone tried to hit the nail through the button above the GW, but then decided to punch it through the center :confused: Ironically, I remember getting a reading on the ETrac of around 26-24, but a nice tone. I have been digging those signals most of the day and they always turned out to be some deep, rusty flat iron. I thought, I shouldn't bother with this, since it was deep and was iron, but I was bored, so I dug it. There's a lesson in there somewhere, But I don't know where rofl All in all it was a great day for me. Thanks for looking.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-08-2010, 05:27 PM
wow man~! :shocked04: holy smokes dude! i'll take a crappy one all day long!
i feel i paid my dues in cellar hole hunting and i deserve one! rofl
this a new site? or a old one ya went back to?
nice tombac,nice crappy GW and nice coinage! thumbsup01
hopefully getting out tomorrow
sweet day dude! thumbsup01

coinnut
05-08-2010, 05:34 PM
this a new site? or a old one ya went back to?

Thanks, Dave. This is a site that we go to from time to time. Dan found it a while back and it has produced about 40 coins so far, most being very early Indians, Flying Eagles, Shield Nickels and 2 Cent Pieces, along with a couple of large coppers. It wasn't our original destination, but because of the lightning, we wanted something close to the Jeep, in case we needed to make a break for it lol Hope you get out tomorrow and find something good thumbsup01

angellionel
05-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't know, George, I would have stayed in the Jeep. lol That's a very good variety of finds... old coins and some very nice old buttons. :yes:

del
05-08-2010, 06:49 PM
what a wet and uncomfortable day it was with all the rain , lightning and thunder rumbling around :bangahead01:. i was soaked lol lol

hey great day for you George , congrats on your 4th GW button ,you ought to give us a familt portrait of them all together
.when you said did they make smaller quarter sized GW's that was not what i had in mind lol lol . good job on the coins
they put that site to well over 40 found now and not one piece of silver , thats crazy :crazy: :crazy: . beautiful designed tombac too. thumbsup01

coinnut
05-08-2010, 06:52 PM
congrats on your 4th GW button ,you ought to give us a familt portrait of them all together

rofl It would look like the Munsters ;)

del
05-08-2010, 07:02 PM
rofl It would look like the Munsters ;)

there not that ugly , i was thinking more like the Adams Family lol lol lol

come on give us a shot :kiss:

coinnut
05-08-2010, 07:23 PM
there not that ugly , i was thinking more like the Adams Family lol lol lol

come on give us a shot :kiss:

I feel like I'm hanging out my dirty laundry lol Here it is, ready or not :crying02:

del
05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
I feel like I'm hanging out my dirty laundry lol Here it is, ready or not :crying02:

hey your underwear has a hole in it lol lol
even ugly buttons need love :smitten: :smitten: too , George. still a very impressive collection my friend thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-08-2010, 11:04 PM
hey i'd take anyone of those.ok if you insist..i'll take the chicken eagle one thumbsup01 :drool:
just a matter of time before ya pull a nice one G.get back to those dirt piles dude.may be one in there!
i'm so due for one! sayin a big prayer tonight! thumbsup01

John M
05-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Well George if I personally did not know you I would think that you are an idiot.Common man there is nothing to complain about on finding a GW in any condition.I would have loved to dig it.Besides you do have four of them now and some of us don't have any.
Any way nice group of finds on such a crappy day.The wind was really moving the trees around down here and I can imagine how it was at that site.
As far as being an idiot.......well I do remember shimmying across that stream.Enough said.

Take care guys and awesome finds George.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Well George if I personally did not know you I would think that you are an idiot.Common man there is nothing to complain about on finding a GW in any condition.I would have loved to dig it.Besides you do have four of them now and some of us don't have any.
Any way nice group of finds on such a crappy day.The wind was really moving the trees around down here and I can imagine how it was at that site.
As far as being an idiot.......well I do remember shimmying across that stream.Enough said.

Take care guys and awesome finds George.

lol G the crappy GW button complaint dept is down the hall.. last door on the left. :bop:

del
05-09-2010, 06:55 AM
i'm so due for one! sayin a big prayer tonight! thumbsup01

you just never know when you'll find one Dave , it took me almost 7 years before i got mine and i know some detectorists
that have been looking for over 25 years and still haven't found one . we ( George , Chris and myself) have been
fortunate enough to recover 5 of them in the last 6 years . George will get another i'm sure of it .

Dan

sniffy
05-09-2010, 08:44 AM
very V e r y V E R Y nice! I'd love to find a GW in any condition.

Epi-hunter
05-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Wow George, those finds would have me dancing for a year! :shocked04: thumbsup01 And to think, I'm happy just finding a rosie lol (well, not really :rolleyes: )

coinnut
05-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Well George if I personally did not know you I would think that you are an idiot.Common man there is nothing to complain about on finding a GW in any condition.

lol Yea, it sound like I'm complaining. I'm happy to find it, but picture being the guy in the hobby for years and you never found a Barber coin. Now you finally find one and it's bent in half. So some time goes on and you finally find another one, but it melted from being burnt....get my drift. I can't imagine anyone else finding 4 in a row and all of them have issues :rolleyes: It's wearing me down rofl

You do have a point there rofl

sjv
05-10-2010, 05:44 AM
With all the GW butons I've seen, Im wondering if the number known to be made is much higher than what is claimed to be.

There appears to be some confusion on these buttons. Some are Inagural buttons and the rest are commemorative which were made after he was in office. Correct me if I'm wrong. So, the Inaugural are more rare because they cost a fortune back then and they were limited to people of a higher status.
Nice finds no matter what condition. By the way what did Del find besides getting soaked and carrying a lightening rod. Been there done that remember? That's when I found my first King George copper. I called it the Taco coin cuz it was shaped just like a folded one. Had to use a thick cloth and a rubber hammer to straighten it out. Lucky it didn't break in half,1733, My oldest to date. :)

coinnut
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
With all the GW butons I've seen, Im wondering if the number known to be made is much higher than what is claimed to be. Nice find no matter what condition.

No doubt about it Sal. Them numbers are of the ones that were known, not the mintage. I know a guy who has (at last count) 50 of them. He's a relic hunter you will never see on any forum. He does it 6 days a week if he can, and has been doing it for years. I don't know how many coppers he has, but I would think it is a couple thousand by now. So the number of GW's is under estimated for sure. But, even if you count all of the ones being dug, and you put them numbers up against all of the button collectors in the USA, it's still an extremely rare button.

sjv
05-10-2010, 06:03 PM
What did del find?? :confused:

coinnut
05-10-2010, 06:34 PM
What did del find?? :confused:

hmmm.... lol

del
05-10-2010, 07:20 PM
just a few buttons and my sanity for another week Sal. lol lol

KirkPA
05-11-2010, 06:02 PM
George the Diggity! Holy crap! A GW of any sort, any condition, is the diggity dog of Colonial hunting. I would take that in an instant and say GW wore it himself. rofl Day-um, you guys are rocking the Colonial foundations off their foundations. :twirlingeyes: :drool:

Kirk

tanacat
05-12-2010, 12:43 PM
:confused: It is pretty strange that all 4 are so ummm less than uhhh perfect condition :cheesysmile:
Very cool that you found them though!!! Nice to see your copper count go up to 15. I noticed on your siggy the other day, but just found this thread! I usually go to the coinshooting section... I need to expand my A.D. horizons! lol

just a few buttons and my sanity for another week Sal. lol lol

Can we see your buttons too?