PDA

View Full Version : SUNDAY CELLAR HOLE HUNT TODD*Button kinda day

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-09-2013, 06:53 AM
headed up to the north west corner of the state with Todd.found one cellar hole that was pounded and while walkin the trail back to car i see a slight tiny depression with a couple straggler rocks at one side of it 10 feet from edge of old Road.I stopped and said hey todd look at this. any person walking by would not have given this a 2nd look that's how subtle the depression was.so todd says fire up your machine & see if there's any iron.soon as i started swinging,iron hits,then a larger tombac thumbsup01.we took off our back packs and hit this small area for the next several hours.a iron tongue & chape from a shoe buckle.quite a few buttons all early ones surfaced.tombacs,large dandy's.2 with what seem to be very early back marks.one i think is a early scovills that just says LH &SW co with a few letters i cant make out and one of these leadish type buttons that i find at early sites.they are not tombac but have a high percentage of lead in them cuz they are always white.maybe a lead/pewter mix i would assume.but this is the 1st i've dug that has some sort of backmark on it.has the seem going across the back as well.looks the WA?
last site gave up 2 IH's a fatty 1863 & 1881 and harmonica

Bell-Two
09-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Man those are great buttons, just love em. Some nice coins and relics too. Good job on spotting the site. Isn't if fun when you get goodies from an unexpected place!

del
09-09-2013, 04:30 PM
ah , you found the iron of a wooden handle nib too , congrats on the buttons Dave |:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-09-2013, 08:20 PM
ah , you found the iron of a wooden handle nib too , congrats on the buttons Dave |:cheering:
nib? should i fish that outta the garbage?

tanacat
09-10-2013, 06:50 AM

I can hear your wife now :shocked04:verreaction: lol

actually I know you aren't married Dave, but couldn't pass up chance at a good joke :hysterical:

That harmonica is great! How old do you think it is? I always find the innards....

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-10-2013, 08:47 AM
I can hear your wife now :shocked04:verreaction: lol

actually I know you aren't married Dave, but couldn't pass up chance at a good joke :hysterical:

That harmonica is great! How old do you think it is? I always find the innards....

lol tana! i have no clue on the harmonica there are 2 dates in ovals on one side 1850 & 1900.so post 1900 i'd say

del
09-10-2013, 01:37 PM

didn't know you fished Dave , just detected :poke: :poke:

Thiltzy
09-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Love the lead/pewter button back mark Dave. Too bad the Injun dates weren't what we expected \:[

OxShoeDrew
09-10-2013, 06:13 PM
So, what is the nib? :->

del
09-10-2013, 06:27 PM
So, what is the nib? :->

a nib or nibs is what the two wooden handles are called on a long bladed handscythe .

coinnut
09-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Nice eye catching that depression thumbsup01 I always thought the Tombac was silver due to a large amount of tin, but it appears it is zinc. Here is a good write up on them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombac

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Nice eye catching that depression thumbsup01 I always thought the Tombac was silver due to a large amount of tin, but it appears it is zinc. Here is a good write up on them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombac

thanks G.but the button in question doesn't even resemble tombac.you can see some crackin under the loop much like pewter and had a white film like lead gets when in the ground.I believe it's a pewter/lead mix on these

aloldstuff
09-11-2013, 05:58 AM
Good eyes there Dave. Nice assortment of buttons. :congrats: on the fatty's.

coinnut
09-11-2013, 07:11 PM
thanks G.but the button in question doesn't even resemble tombac.you can see some crackin under the loop much like pewter and had a white film like lead gets when in the ground.I believe it's a pewter/lead mix on these

The pewter may have a different ratio of lead / tin. Nice looking button.