PDA

View Full Version : bullet

castletonking
09-09-2013, 07:37 AM
I found this today detecting in my field..along with several very nice flat buttons.I'm assuming its a bullet,it's lead with a thick white patina and a solid base.i don't know much about bullets,but I've never seen one like this before.

del
09-09-2013, 04:22 PM
hey castletonking is there anything on the bottom of the bullet ??

it definately looks like a pistol bullet to me , maybe from around the civil war era or just after but i'm far from an expert on lead projectiles. hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in on it .

Dan

castletonking
09-09-2013, 07:25 PM
hey castletonking is there anything on the bottom of the bullet ??

it definately looks like a pistol bullet to me , maybe from around the civil war era or just after but i'm far from an expert on lead projectiles. hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in on it .

Dan
all thats on the bottom is what looks to be an insert,however it is part of the bullet itself. I say insert looking,because unlike other bullets I've seen,there is a channel around the edges where the center meets the edges.

coinnut
09-09-2013, 09:45 PM
A clear picture of the bottom would help a lot. There are some great guys out there that know their bullets....I'm not one of them lol

fyrffytr1
09-09-2013, 10:20 PM
A penny is about 3/4 wide so I am guessing that your bullet is for a 44 caliber Colt revolver. Better measurements would help with a more accurate ID. Diameter and length please.

castletonking
09-09-2013, 10:48 PM
A penny is about 3/4 wide so I am guessing that your bullet is for a 44 caliber Colt revolver. Better measurements would help with a more accurate ID. Diameter and length please.
its just shy of a half inch in diameter and just over a half an inch in length

castletonking
09-09-2013, 10:49 PM
A clear picture of the bottom would help a lot. There are some great guys out there that know their bullets....I'm not one of them lol
I've tried to get a clear picture of the bottom and its not happening