PDA

View Full Version : ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING HUNTS I'VE EVER HAD!

RobW
09-12-2013, 03:11 PM
On Sunday Tim and I headed out. He said that we were going to Vermont to see his brother who lives in an old house and there are several cellar holes nearby and a big field across from him. :happydance01:

We drove all the way there. His brother puttered around getting ready. Finally we got going. We drove to an area that the road ended, but you could see that it use to continue, with HUGE old oaks lining the way. We got out and started walking down the road. I thought we were walking to a cellar hole....we got to the end, and he said ok, that's it, wanted to show you the route, we'll detect back. 8/ Back through the thorns we went swinging, hoping for something...some shell casing >:#

We drove back down the road a pace and pulled up next to a really old 1700's cemetery with field all around the outside it where a church once stood :drool: The neighbor comes out and begins talking with his brother....and talking....and talking...and talking >{

Then we head back up the road where the neighbor had told them where there WAS a cellar hole. Then it started to rain >:\. I was determined not to let it spoil the fun...so we kept on detecting. Some modern bullets, piles of horse crap (literally), and 2, 8 inch deep memorials >:/

We head off...drive into town (there's like 5 buildings, nothing over 1000sqft except the church) He parks the car and says he'll be back in a min that he has to talk with someone...and chases the chickens roaming the town, goes around the corner and is gone for like 30 min. He finally comes back and says we have permission. We then hit a cellar hole right on the edge of the road...trash of every sort. I'm still in the wooded area when I see him and Tim walking away and up a long drive...I go chasing after them.

It lead to this HUGE old home that apprantly use to me an old inn but is now a private residence with field abound. :drool: Tim said that we'd start in the upper field...not 2 min in he pulls out an 1770 KG.....ok we know its here a few minutes later I get a toasty KG, then a bit later another, then I head down the hill a bit, get a nice 12-46...open my plug..I see the large disc, gently brush away the dirt....and I see rings :shocked04:....a FUGIO <: :happy: :bananadance: <:...then a bit later I get a small flat button.

I moved down to the lower field where Tim had migrated to. I got an ox knob..I think it still has a bit of horn in it. Then the diggable signals were just not showing themselves. So I went back up to the upper field...got a 12-18 signal and dug a silver colored pendant with clear stones I'm not sure if it's silver or white gold or if they are CZ or the real thing...there are no markings, so I WILL be getting it checked out. Kept hoping for some old silver.....get a hit...dig down...silver toe ring...I was disgusted and delighted at the same time lol. Go back in and around the area I found the Fugio...and I start finding Large Cloak Buttons, then :shocked03:Flowing Hair...what a beaut :loveit:...slight coorsion right on the date >:# >{ >:{...I can make out 17_ _ and the last digit all I can make out is a upper circle so 8,9? so 1798 or 99. So 4 Coppers...one being a FUGIO and another being a nice Flowing Hair, 3 cloaks and one small, an ox knob, a pocket knife, and another item I need some help with...pictured at the bottom of the pic with the relics....it is engraved with triangles on the edges like a period button would be, it appears one part broke off...what is it?

Tim managed a total of 4 as well: 3 KG and one flowing hair 1800, several buttons. His brother.....we'll Tim took pity and gave him his 1770KG as a thank you.

lee
09-12-2013, 03:28 PM
wow rob !!!!!!! fantastic hunt matey boy , get ya butt back over there son.

kpmoose
09-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Patience paid off for you. Excellent finds. Congrats.

del
09-12-2013, 04:48 PM
:wow: wow Rob great hunt :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: , congrats |:confused:) on the early coins and relics and especially the fugio :perfect10: :perfect10: i'd like to tell you what the variety is but to be honest i can't :teasing:

Thiltzy
09-12-2013, 05:05 PM
:wow:Rob, great hunt I would love,love,love to see better pics of the coins :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: Can I buy you a new camera:huh: :bop:

CTTodd
09-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Great day. The Fugio is a very small club.

aloldstuff
09-13-2013, 04:51 AM
It's about dang time you posted this eye candy......... lol yeah I know you've been busy.

Great,, great hunt with some fantastic keepers. Your morning started out crappy but that last hour sure did pay off.

Hope you and Tim can get back there.....you know there is more.

Congrats on being inducted into the Fugio club.

del
09-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Congrats on being inducted into the Fugio club.

hold on there Al to be officially inducted into the fugio club

one has to actually [size=36pt]see the coin. lol lol

how about it Rob :poke: :poke:

RobW
09-13-2013, 07:26 AM
>:tongue: >:tongue: >:tongue: >:tongue:...I Know, I know, I know
But something is better than nothing
Rather spend my time :detecting:, than messing on the computer and with a camera..... lol

Dan, There is enough detail that I was able to identify the variety in my Red Book....can't remember off the top of my head the exact turn of phrase, but it is the most common variety....but I ain't complaining! :cheesysmile:

We hope to get back there sooner than later...apparently this place has about 200 acres with it :drool:

Lodge Scent
09-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Nice digs! I am partial to Fugios myself. Yours is an exceedingly rare speciman known as the Fuzzy Fugio. Be careful, when placed in the vacinity of other coppers, it will make them fuzzy too. Looks like I am too late. Your other copper already has that fuzzy appearance. But fuzzy or not, it is a great find! :congrats:

RobW
09-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Nice digs! I am partial to Fugios myself. Yours is an exceedingly rare speciman known as the Fuzzy Fugio. Be careful, when placed in the vacinity of other coppers, it will make them fuzzy too. Looks like I am too late. Your other copper already has that fuzzy appearance. But fuzzy or not, it is a great find! :congrats:

<} <} <} <} lol rofl..Thanks for the laugh I needed that...my email system went down at 3 and I can't get anywork down...this is the 3rd Friday in a row in has gone down >:# >{

tanacat
09-13-2013, 05:01 PM
:omg: 8 coppers between the 2 of you!

That was very generous of Tim to give one to his bro :yes:

Check out that pendant!!! lol Good luck w/being white gold & diamonds... :crossfingers:

coinnut
09-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Wow Rob, your post almost brought me to tears crying01 Where have the years gone. Has that newbie really grown up and started to find great finds hunt after hunt? I miss the old Rob lol What a fantastic hunt you had. You added some excellent pieces to your collection. :clapping:

MassDirtFisher
09-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Yikes!!! Its been like forever since I last posted. I forgot my password and couldn't remember it for the life of me. I finally remembered what it was. It was a great hunt. It was supposed to have been hunted before, but I doubt it. I made some pretty good finds. I will start posting soon I promise. Im going back sunday to go over the fields better. I have a feeling there is some great finds yet to be made at this location. Man does it feel good to be back on the forum. I miss you all. Rob that Fugio is a gem. I made a nice 1800 over 1799 Large cent and a few KG's. A bunch of cloak buttons and misc trinkets. No coin was deeper than 4 for me. I will try to post last hunt and sundays hunt sunday evening. Happy Hunting!

CTTodd
09-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Yikes!!! Its been like forever since I last posted. I forgot my password and couldn't remember it for the life of me. I finally remembered what it was. It was a great hunt. It was supposed to have been hunted before, but I doubt it. I made some pretty good finds. I will start posting soon I promise. Im going back sunday to go over the fields better. I have a feeling there is some great finds yet to be made at this location. Man does it feel good to be back on the forum. I miss you all. Rob that Fugio is a gem. I made a nice 1800 over 1799 Large cent and a few KG's. A bunch of cloak buttons and misc trinkets. No coin was deeper than 4 for me. I will try to post last hunt and sundays hunt sunday evening. Happy Hunting!

You hit a 80 over 79 LC ? I have one too. It's one of my favs it's pictured in my album here. I'd really like to see yours. Todd

coinnut
09-13-2013, 09:22 PM
You hit a 80 over 79 LC ? I have one too. It's one of my favs it's pictured in my album here. I'd really like to see yours. Todd

Yep got one too lol They are usually really easy to see the overdate

MassDirtFisher
09-13-2013, 09:35 PM

Todd I havent seen you since NH Bobs hunt when I scored a weird tree token and a 3 cent silver. How you been?

del
09-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Dan, There is enough detail that I was able to identify the variety in my Red Book....

doubtful Rob , theres about 61 different varieties of fugios and the red book shows what maybe 8 to 10 types . want a good reference book get Whitman's Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American Coins.

fsa46
09-14-2013, 07:29 AM
:omg: , :wow:, A big :congrats: on a hunt you never will forget. :perfect10:

WTG Rob & Tim

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-14-2013, 06:55 PM
wow you guys hit a copper mine! :omg: great coins congrats! thumbsup01 amazing day for sure!

CTTodd
09-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Todd I havent seen you since NH Bobs hunt when I scored a weird tree token and a 3 cent silver. How you been?

Hi yes it's been a long time. You know your in a video I made that day. It's on YouTube
Good to hear from you I thought that must be you. HH

MassDirtFisher
09-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Hi yes it's been a long time. You know your in a video I made that day. It's on YouTube
Good to hear from you I thought that must be you. HH

My idiotic looking dance.....Ha!! I hope we can do it again.

RobW
09-19-2013, 03:01 PM
My idiotic looking dance.....Ha!! I hope we can do it again.

Weren't we just talking about that on that trip :thinkingabout:....what it would take for you to dance? :bananadance:
It always amazes me how Tim just wonders around...at the end of the hunt, he's got a pocket full of keepers, but you'd never know :lipssealed:...what a gambling face he has :yes:

MassDirtFisher
09-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Weren't we just talking about that on that trip :thinkingabout:....what it would take for you to dance? :bananadance:
It always amazes me how Tim just wonders around...at the end of the hunt, he's got a pocket full of keepers, but you'd never know :lipssealed:...what a gambling face he has :yes:

:bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:

OxShoeDrew
09-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Oh my gosh! :shocked04: :shocked04: How did I miss this? Maybe you can go just an inch or two away from the coins for the pics. :dontknow:
The fugio looks really good through the haze of the pic. lol A huge congrats to you Rob!

giant056
09-21-2013, 06:02 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! what an awesome hunt you guys had, a huge congrats on all those mighty fine finds thumbsup01

:congrats:

del
09-26-2013, 05:31 PM
here you go Rob

http://themetapicture.com/how-to-take-incredible-photos-with-your-phone/

aloldstuff
09-26-2013, 06:31 PM
here you go Rob

Way to go Dan.....maybe now we can see what Rob actually finds....

RobW
10-03-2013, 07:38 AM
here you go Rob

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl...I missed this
pparently my pics are so bad I didn't even get an honorable mention for last month for voting lol lol