PDA

View Full Version : 3 silver day

Ill Digger
05-09-2010, 08:42 PM
We started out at an old farm house this morning. I found the JFK token there along with my first button with the makers marks on the rear thumbsup01 Sweet! :cheesysmile: I don't know what kind of button it is yet ...I haven't looked yet. Maybe someone can help with an ID ;) After a couple of hours there we packed up and headed back into town and went to a local school where two old houses used to stand. I hunted this very area last summer with just a few wheats to show for it. But today ....I tied my best silver day yet !! 3 in one day !! First was the '57 Washington quarter, then came the 35 Merc. and then the 1945 Merc. popped out to my surprise :shocked04: That's the blackest silver coin I've found. All three came in the last hour and all from with in a 5x10 area between two trees,that I crissed and crossed went back over again slowly, using Jeff Fosters silver program and my new D2 coil . I'm liking'em both :yes: thumbsup01
Thanks for lookin' and HH :grin:

z118
05-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Sweet digs for sure! Two Mercs would make my whole week... nevermind the quarter. I still have yet to pull asilver quarter this year!

Congrats!

Epi-hunter
05-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Nice finds!!! I love the token, and the silver!

handyman
05-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Nice coins as well as the button and token. Looks like you had a great day. thumbsup01

coinnut
05-09-2010, 09:50 PM
What a great hunt. Nice silver and a great 2 pc Artillery button!!! Can give you more info if you can read the back mark including any symbols if it has any. I think it's from the 1850-60 range, but will know better with the writing from the back. Earlier versions are one piece. Sounds like you had a blast!

tanacat
05-09-2010, 10:21 PM
thumbsup01 Woo Hooo! Great day! Nice button-wow... I wonder what it's collector's value is :huh: As far as your black/silver merc lol have you tried the peroxide & baking soda method yet? I have a 1922 silver dollar (my dad gave me for b-day present yrs ago) and thinking about trying to clean it -has a lot of black. Anyway, CONGRATS on your cool finds today!!!

hoser
05-09-2010, 10:40 PM
:drool:WOOT! Now thats what I'm talkin about. Very nice finds for sure. I love the JFK token. Its in awesome shape. Well done. :yes:

Ill Digger
05-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks everybody !! I had a great time!! It' funny how my day went I found the token and button in the first hour and half of hunting at the first place and found all the wheats and silver in the last hour and a half :yes: lol We started at noon and got home at 7pm .

What a great hunt. Nice silver and a great 2 pc Artillery button!!! Can give you more info if you can read the back mark including any symbols if it has any. I think it's from the 1850-60 range, but will know better with the writing from the back. Earlier versions are one piece. Sounds like you had a blast!
Thanks G
Artillery huh? Cool !!
That would be great!! It's kinda hard to make out....I think it says STEELE ? on the top. The bottom says JOEM or JOHN & OM ? or something like that. Maybe a close up pic would be better.

yazoo
05-10-2010, 06:31 AM
That is some nice stuff feller,I like the button. Yazoo

RickO
05-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Well done.. some real nice finds...Jeff's programs work very well... HH RickO

tanacat
05-10-2010, 03:47 PM
I think it says STEELE ? on the top. The bottom says JOEM or JOHN & OM ? or something like that. Maybe a close up pic would be better.

Steele & Johnson! This one is very similiar.... Can't find exact!

Federal artillery button, eagle with A, Extra Quality by Steele & Johnson dm inner ring, (21mm)

http://relicman.com/buttons/zArchiveButtonFedGovArtillery2pc1840Later.htm

Ill Digger
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Yep !! Your right!!
It's the 4th one from the bottom!!
Cool !! Thanks!! thumbsup01
Soooo....how did it get here in northern Illinois ??
A soldier lost it at home? after the war?
Or was it lost at a soldiers camp on top of the hill over looking the river were this old farm house now sits? After the civil war?
Things that make you go hmmmmm !?? :confused:

coinnut
05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks G
Artillery huh? Cool !!
That would be great!! It's kinda hard to make out....I think it says STEELE ? on the top. The bottom says JOEM or JOHN & OM ? or something like that. Maybe a close up pic would be better.

The only variety I could find in Albert's book is one that says... &Steele &/Johnson on it and is listed as AY79A-8. It doesn't list a date, and I don't know a lot about dateing them, but I'm still guessing 50's / 60's on it. Maybe Del or someone else can date it better for you. But to me it looks like it's smack dab in the Civil War era. lol Nice button!!

tanacat
05-10-2010, 07:02 PM
They don't list $ on this site. Another site averaged $55 for the 1-piece ones...

angellionel
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Those are some nice finds! The button is an old one, and it held up quite well too. Congrats on the three silver pieces! thumbsup01

Ill Digger
05-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the help and the that a boyz from everyone thumbsup01 much appreciated ! ;)
Here's a list of button makers and the dates of manufacture that Fyrffytr1 from the TQ forum turned me on to. I thought it might be useful to all here to use also.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~jimyce/bm.html#R
It turns out & STEELE & JOHNSON were made between 1858 - 1875 !!!
Whoooo Hoooo !!!! That old !!

but I'm still guessing 50's / 60's on it. But to me it looks like it's smack dab in the Civil War era. lol Nice button!!
You were right !!! :yes: Smack dab in the Civil War era thumbsup01 Saweet!!

tanacat
05-11-2010, 08:15 AM
thumbsup01 Love that old stuff! Have you found many other Civil War stuff? I'm AMAZED at how many button manufacturers there were back then! I favorited that site- for when I find my first old button :)

Fire Fighter 43
05-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Nice Finds!! Keep it up.

Ill Digger
05-11-2010, 09:44 PM
thumbsup01 Love that old stuff! Have you found many other Civil War stuff? Nothing!! lol
Thats why I'm so stoaked !!
I just knew from seeing others finds and posts , that the ones with the back marks were the good ones!! thumbsup01

Nice Finds!! Keep it up.
Thanks Jeff...Ohh ....I'm trying!! lol