PDA

View Full Version : RI CELLAR HOLES*CW CALVARY BUTTON & 1824 LC

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Todd & me rode to RI to meet up with John.we located 4 cellar holes out there.2 we couldn't find & the other 2 were pounded to death.I got 3 good targets :hysterical: in 8 hours of detecting & about 5 miles of hiking.
1824 matron head large cent,a civil war calvary eagle button with string still attached to shank(looks like a Evans & co backmark) and some weird silver plated eagle talon? piece.any clue what this may be or from would be appreciated.
And Todd & myself will do it all over again Sunday! hopefully these sites ain't pounded.
John didn't get much & Todd got a few plain flat buttons.

del
09-21-2013, 10:06 PM
congrats on the largie and the cavalry button Dave , i'm still looking for one of those for my collection.

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-21-2013, 10:21 PM
congrats on the largie and the cavalry button Dave , i'm still looking for one of those for my collection.

thanks Dan! any idea on the feathered piece? :thinkingabout:

del
09-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Dave is the piece bent or just naturally shaped that way?? and wht is it made from brass or copper

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-22-2013, 04:11 AM
Dave is the piece bent or just naturally shaped that way?? and wht is it made from brass or copper

seems to be shaped like that.it's not bent at all and it's brass with silver wash or plating

Tony Two-Cent
09-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Great finds, Dave! |:cheering:

Very nice calvary button with lots of gilt left on it! :loveit:

Of course, being a coin person I love the 1824 large cent too! :yes:

That silver plated item seems to be shaped like a peacock, and the feathers on it look like peacock feathers. Very curious what it could have been attached to. :thinkingabout:

Lodge Scent
09-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Another CW find ! Very cool. I'm with Tony....looks more like a peacock.

CTTodd
09-22-2013, 08:29 AM
That button was worth the trip. Nice

del
09-22-2013, 03:32 PM
:thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: Dave the piece looks like the lower beak , neck,breast and and just under the tail section of some kind of bird that must of had somekind of screw to attach it to the top half of the bird. :dontknow:

possibly to one of these.

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-22-2013, 07:32 PM
:thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: Dave the piece looks like the lower beak , neck,breast and and just under the tail section of some kind of bird that must of had somekind of screw to attach it to the top half of the bird. :dontknow:

yep i would have to agree you nailed it Dan! thanks for the research.any idea on age? more victorian era huh? :thinkingabout:

del
09-22-2013, 07:36 PM
yep i would have to agree you nailed it Dan! thanks for the research.any idea on age? more victorian era huh? :thinkingabout:

those quilting or sewing clamps can go back pretty far Dave , atleast very early 1800's

chief5709
09-23-2013, 05:48 AM
Wow, now that's an ID |:cheering: Nice job Dan!

Great Finds once again Dave |:cheering: I don't know how you guys get out so much :detecting: makes me envious of your locations, research and dedication to the hunt!

RobW
09-23-2013, 08:25 AM

How do you do it:huh::huh:thinkingabout: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: Who in the heck has suck strange trivial knowledge of things that are so out of the ordinary :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes:

del
09-23-2013, 02:04 PM
How do you do it:huh::huh:thinkingabout:

:dontknow: :grin:

OxShoeDrew
09-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Oh so that's what it is... I found the other half. It was probably at the same hole. I thought those ferns looked familiar lol
Nice hunt Dave, and ID Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Oh so that's what it is... I found the other half. It was probably at the same hole. I thought those ferns looked familiar lol
Nice hunt Dave, and ID Dan

thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! half the bird is still MIA though crying01 scott said you & him were at these sites in cumberland. :hysterical: