PDA

View Full Version : Nice Button/ Mercury Dime/ Token

Spike
05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Token is a Dr Bennett's Medicine token. Neat civil war button? - cleaned up with water and toothbrush. :cheesysmile:

coinnut
05-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Nice stuff lol Any chance you can make out any lettering on the back side of the button? How many stars also?? That design went into production as early as June 11, 1832 and stopped being used after 1902. Lot's of varieties, so the back mark and # of stars would help. Sweet Merc also, but I love the advertisment token the best!! thumbsup01

Spike
05-10-2010, 08:43 PM
It says *Extra Quality* and 24 stars and have another Dr. Bennets Med that looks like a IH with 1862 date and that advertisement on back

coinnut
05-10-2010, 09:06 PM
It says *Extra Quality* and 24 stars and have another Dr. Bennets Med that looks like a IH with 1862 date and that advertisement on back

Hey Spike, couldn't find one that just said *Extra Quality* but there might be another section of this book with more of them. I was looking under General Staff buttons. No company name on it or other maker? I love the Indian Head tokens. I'd take one over an Indian Head penny any day....well not over an 1877 lol

Beefcake
05-10-2010, 10:01 PM
The one's I've seen that have advertisments over an IH with those dates have been Civil War tokens. Very cool find!

Ill Digger
05-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Here's some button like yours.
http://relicman.com/buttons/zBackmarkExtraQuality.htm
Looks like the first one to me. B4615 Federal officer staff button, eagle with shield, die variant shield with stripes and no stars, Extra Quality by Scovill, dm between rings, (22mm)
Ref: Albert GS, Tice GS226A24, with well around shank.
This is the site Tana showed me yesterday when I found my button.
Hope it helps and great find!!
Congrats :grin:

coinnut
05-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Here's some button like yours.
http://relicman.com/buttons/zBackmarkExtraQuality.htm
Looks like the first one to me. B4615 Federal officer staff button, eagle with shield, die variant shield with stripes and no stars, Extra Quality by Scovill, dm between rings, (22mm)
Ref: Albert GS, Tice GS226A24, with well around shank.
This is the site Tana showed me yesterday when I found my button.
Hope it helps and great find!!
Congrats :grin:

Thanks for that info. It shows Albert's as a GS reference (General Service), but doesn't show a specific variety. That's as far as I got in Alberts with it too. But your site shows a Tice# which should show it as a specific variety and that's a good thing lol Now you know what variety it is and it dates it approximately 1860. Nice work Tim!!

Spike
05-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks alot it is that one. They sure hold up good for being in the ground that long .