PDA

View Full Version : Big brother just closed the Springfield Armory

MassDirtFisher
10-01-2013, 06:58 PM
A wonderful place to learn about revolutionary history was the Springfield armory. Thanks to the government shutdown , It has closed its doors for good. What a shame.....I'm pretty upset about this. We start losing our past and we will have no future. I like to walk above history and dig it up and feel it in my hand. I love my local history, and you want to take it from me big brother, but...I have it in my head...and my heart. Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent. Thank you. Happy Hunting!!

MassDirtFisher
10-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Its been in operation since 1770's. It became a museum in 1968 or 9.

del
10-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Tim i think George Washington picked the spot for the armory himself , they did have some great old firearms there .

Boulder
10-01-2013, 07:59 PM
One can only hope that when the government shutdown farce is over, they will reopen to the public once again.
I'm sure based on the value of the collection alone coupled with the history contained within someone will find a way to continue the legacy, they have groups and trusts to preserve everything else.
We will just have to wait and hope for the best. ::usaflag::
Keep the faith, John.

RobW
10-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Tim i think George Washington picked the spot for the armory himself , they did have some great old firearms there .

It has one of the largest firearms collections in the world, and was of great importance during Shay's Rebellion