PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's hunt- my oldest relic, 4 coppers, lots of buttons

Thiltzy
10-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Sunday I had picked a spot that Dave and I had been looking at for a while. While making the trip, I told Dave in the car that I had a really good feeling about the sites we were about to hunt. I don't no why but, I just had one of those warm and fuzzy feelings as I was heading to Dave's house. :dontknow:

The first hole was a rather large cellar with center chimney. The site was kind of eerie as there were three skeletal deer and coyote remains around the cellar hole. My first coin was a smooth King George II and then a few feet from that was a 1831 Matron Head with a holed center. Dave also found 2 coppers at this site. After a couple hours I thought there was a good chance of some other cellar holes along the old road way. :thinkingabout:

I decided to make my way down the long road when I came across another site with a much smaller cellar hole. This site looked very old but the coils were quiet around the hole. We started fanning out away from the cellar and that's when we caught fire. Buttons after buttons popping out and then I got two more coins, Both being Connecticut coppers happydance02 Then I started finding shoe buckle frame pieces from three different buckles and to my surprise, when I got home and cleaned them, I noticed one had a hand etched date of 1659! :shocked03: My oldest relic to date. Everything from this site was old and was probably one of the more exciting hunts we had since the virgin site :yes:

MassDirtFisher
10-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Congrats on the amazing relics. Great looking coppers. Sweet old date on that buckle frame. That place needs another few hunts. Happy Hunting!!

OxShoeDrew
10-03-2013, 04:18 AM
Very exciting Todd. The reverses of those CT coppers are really detailed. I've never been able to date one of those.
I bet you were thrilled to find that 1600s date!

chief5709
10-03-2013, 04:27 AM
another awesome hunt :congrats:

Lodge Scent
10-03-2013, 07:15 AM
:shocked03: :wow: Awesome ! The buckle piece with the date is about as good as it gets :congrats:

RobW
10-03-2013, 07:36 AM
:shocked03:.them's some GREAT relics! I really like that off center KG :loveit: You able to get a date off it?

Thiltzy
10-03-2013, 07:57 AM
:shocked03:.them's some GREAT relics! I really like that off center KG :loveit: You able to get a date off it?
actually Rob, its a Connecticut copper off center. One side of the coin is even thicker than the bottom half. Its tapered. Date is 1787 or 88.

kray
10-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Sweet finds!

del
10-03-2013, 04:04 PM
wow , great day Todd :perfect10: absolutely love the off struck Connecticut :perfect10: ( i'm pretty sure its a '87' ) how big is the dated frame piece it looks too big to be a mid 1600's era shoe buckle :confused:thinkingabout:? the spoon bowl with stem is a very early one too (1600's)

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-03-2013, 04:43 PM
we had an awesome hunt! you said you had a good feeling and you also predicted we'd be even in the finds dept at the end of the day.you must be psychic!

Thiltzy
10-03-2013, 06:11 PM
we had an awesome hunt! you said you had a good feeling and you also predicted we'd be even in the finds dept at the end of the day.you must be psychic!
I told you Dave, you should listen to me more often. :bop: Sometimes I just get these visions or feelings :yes:

Thiltzy
10-03-2013, 06:14 PM
wow , great day Todd :perfect10: absolutely love the off struck Connecticut :perfect10: ( i'm pretty sure its a '87' ) how big is the dated frame piece it looks too big to be a mid 1600's era shoe buckle :confused:thinkingabout:? the spoon bowl with stem is a very early one too (1600's)
What kind of a reference scale are you looking for Dan?
I really like the stem spoon as well and speaking of spoons, the pewter spoon handle at the top has a hallmark stamp on it. What do you make of that? I didn't realize pewter spoons were stamped? :interesting:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-05-2013, 08:46 PM

Dan...My guess is that date was significant or had a special meaning to the person wearing that buckle in say..the 1770's or 80's.

del
10-05-2013, 10:21 PM
What kind of a reference scale are you looking for Dan?
I really like the stem spoon as well and speaking of spoons, the pewter spoon handle at the top has a hallmark stamp on it. What do you make of that? I didn't realize pewter spoons were stamped? :interesting:

Todd show us the hallmark .

coinnut
10-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Wow I missed you first hunt there 8/ What a day :shocked03: Sometimes Dave needs a little more of this :bop: and he will believe in your powers lol Great finds :peace:

Bell-Two
10-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Beautiful stuff Todd, the off center Copper is just so gorgeous and the dated buckle, can't ask for much more than that in finds. Keep it up I just love see your posts!

Thiltzy
10-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks everyone |:confused:)

Todd show us the hallmark .
Hope you can read it Dan it was tuff getting a decent picture

Thiltzy
10-06-2013, 05:56 PM
I believe the letters read THILL :interesting:

fsa46
10-07-2013, 06:41 AM
:congrats: on an outstanding hunt Todd. Another one you'll never forget. :perfect10: