PDA

View Full Version : Question

bob_e99
10-03-2013, 06:11 AM
•Please do not disturb plants, animals, or cultural features.

Would you interpret this as a polite way of saying no metal detecting? It was posted at a wooded area I wanted to hunt and I'm not sure myself.

Thank you.

chief5709
10-03-2013, 07:00 AM
I think I would look into it further. Looks like a big red :usaflag: to me.

tanacat
10-03-2013, 07:22 AM
If it has 'cultural features' I would check to see if listed on National Historic Registry... is it a city park? We have a few city parks here that are on NHR and thus off limits to detecting.

bob_e99
10-03-2013, 08:06 AM
I think I would look into it further. Looks like a big red :usaflag: to me.

I agree. Thank you for your reply.

If it has 'cultural features' I would check to see if listed on National Historic Registry... is it a city park? We have a few city parks here that are on NHR and thus off limits to detecting.

Therein lies the issue. I should have been clearer that it is simply a wooded area that has been re-forested and I cannot find any 'cultural feature' after walking through if for several hours. I guess the best solution is to find the group in charge of the property and pose the question to them directly.

Just added: I just noticed that while you should not disturb the animals, hunting is allowed. In my mind I think that is very much disturbing the animals. But that's just me :thinkingabout:

Thank you both for taking the time to post an answer. Very much appreciated.

Epi-hunter
10-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Hunting is allowed but you aren't supposed to disturb the animals? :confused: 8/

I personally would not take that sign to mean you can't metal detect if it's not a historic site or formal gardens or a bird sanctuary or something like that.

bob_e99
10-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Hunting is allowed but you aren't supposed to disturb the animals? :confused: 8/

I personally would not take that sign to mean you can't metal detect if it's not a historic site or formal gardens or a bird sanctuary or something like that.

Yes, I think there is something strange here. Not only would hunting disturb the animals, but I seriously doubt that a hunter would tip-toe through the plants. Thank you for your input.

del
10-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Bob in no way is that sign telling you theres no detecting . you are doing less plant disturbing than a squirrel . if your wearing head phones your not making anymore noise than someone just walking through the woods and your removing trash from the grounds and infact leaving them in better conditions then when you arrived. if your not removing any stones from walls or foundations then i don't see you disturbing any culteral features either. i personally hate signs that are purposely vague so anyone can interpret them as to what they want it to mean.

only if it says No Metal Detecting Allowed or No Digging of anykind

RobW
10-03-2013, 03:32 PM
If it says you can hunt, then I would think you can :detecting: hunt...it doesn't say for what lol

coinnut
10-03-2013, 03:50 PM
I would interpret that sign to be used against anyone removing plants. I think they post that just in case they need something to fall back on if someone is removing some of the wild flowering plants. :thinkingabout:

OxShoeDrew
10-03-2013, 05:12 PM
That sign wouldn't deter me, but I always have a problem when instead of disturb it says remove.

bob_e99
10-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Once again, many thanks to everyone for the further input. Dan, I agree that signs should be more straightforward. If they don't want metal detecting, just state it that way.

In any case, all your comments have been of great help and again, I sincerely appreciate all of you taking the time to post them.

Boulder
10-03-2013, 09:23 PM
I would treat it as a generic form of signage and in my opinion it should quote the authority and statute number if an enforcement sign.
A quick phone call or :usaflag:ging down a police officer should put any doubts to rest.
Good Luck, John. :->

bob_e99
10-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Thanks John. There was a police officer at the parking site when I arrived and since the land was owned by a non-profit group that buys and protects land, he did not know the regulations which is why I decided to just walk the trails to get some idea of what the woods contained.

Thanks again.