PDA

View Full Version : Cast Counterfeit Large Cent

KirkPA
05-11-2010, 05:48 PM
KKC got out to a new site on Sunday. It was one of those May days that felt like January. :tongue: The winds were not letting us get by with a nice relic hunting day. :bop: I must thank my uncle though for supplying me with one of his jackets. rofl I never come prepared. rofl

The 1st site we hit looked promising. thumbsup01 We hit the iron patch within a few minutes, but was not welcomed with any decent multiple hits. :ticked: I can't complain though. I did get a mid-reading on my screen and was thinking another shell casing, but was greeted with this counterfeit coin. The coin was definitely used as a copper back in the time. There is one star evident on the obverse and on the reverse, I can see &quot:daydream:F AM (part of United States of America). This is my 1st counterfeited large cent and KKC's 2nd in a week. I am thinking it is a Coronet or Classic Head due to the stars on the obverse, but I could be wrong. :cheesysmile: On the video, I got too excited at first and thought I had a Woods Hibernia. rofl

That is all we got at this site. One coin and nothing else. It was definitely hunted. :ticked:

The 2nd site was just done the road and was recently plowed and planted with hay. :drool: Since it is in a prime area for Native American artifacts, I kept telling the guys, Look for arrowheads. They are here. Not long in this field and I was soon welcomed with a beautiful sight. :grin: :tongue: 8) Check out the video to see the in-situ. It is a sweet 3,000-9,000 B.C. Archaic spear point. thumbsup01

The last site of the day was our 14 copper site from March. thumbsup01 :twirlingeyes: We had to hunt it one more time before the plant. :tongue: I got a handful of buttons. thumbsup01 One of them turned out to be a Civil War general service button (my 1st military button of 2010). I am cursed with not digging any military buttons older than 1860. :ticked: rofl Kyle got a Colonial copper (15th copper from the tavern). :drool:

Keep the passion high! :drool: :twirlingeyes:

Kirk

Counterfeit Copper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEbQQGjn4TI#)
Arrowhead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78jFjXV27I0#)

coinnut
05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Sweet point!!! I'd of loved to see that laying on the ground!! Nice counterfeit copper too!! What was that coin size object laying on the ground right next to that hole?? It looked like another coin or button?? :confused: Great hunt!

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Sweet point!!! I'd of loved to see that laying on the ground!! Nice counterfeit copper too!! What was that coin size object laying on the ground right next to that hole?? It looked like another coin or button?? :confused: Great hunt!

looks like one of his buttons G

del
05-12-2010, 02:36 AM
very cool point Kirk , i have yet to find a counterfiet large cent . hey if you decide to clean it give us another picture of it.
nice videos gents as always. it does look like a coin laying on the ground in that first clip.

John M
05-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Great finds Kirk.I have yet to pick up a point,it must be a good thrill.

sjv
05-12-2010, 06:01 AM
How can you tell the copper is counterfeit. The signal or the composition of the metal? Just a question for all of us who haven't seen one.

tanacat
05-12-2010, 03:00 PM
How can you tell the copper is counterfeit. The signal or the composition of the metal? Just a question for all of us who haven't seen one.

Yeah, I'm curious too...

coinnut
05-12-2010, 08:50 PM
One way to tell, is the fact that it is basically falling apart (like a zinc penny lol). It should also read much lower on the number scale on any machine. In order to turn a profit, you must decrease the copper content enough to make some money on the coin. Debasing it a little, is not worth the risk. It's like counterfeiting one dollar bills lol You go to jail just the same as if it were $100.00 bills, so why make a one. Probably half of the content of that coin, is some kind of pot metal or white metal. It would be lighter and not hold up very well. It would also not ring right when dropped on a table. Hopefully, you could make 2 cents for every one cent purchased. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it ;)

sjv
05-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Very interesting, thanks. It's just I never found a large cent that was home-made. King George mostly. Must have been someone that was a ironsmith or something. Rather find a silversmith or goldsmith shop for sure.

tanacat
05-13-2010, 09:46 AM
One way to tell, is the fact that it is basically falling apart (like a zinc penny lol). It should also read much lower on the number scale on any machine. In order to turn a profit, you must decrease the copper content enough to make some money on the coin. Debasing it a little, is not worth the risk. It's like counterfeiting one dollar bills lol You go to jail just the same as if it were $100.00 bills, so why make a one. Probably half of the content of that coin, is some kind of pot metal or white metal. It would be lighter and not hold up very well. It would also not ring right when dropped on a table. Hopefully, you could make 2 cents for every one cent purchased. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it ;)

Wow you really know your stuff! Thanks... :yes:

Now, where is that darn I'm not worthy bowing to the Gods smiley? rofl Speaking of SNL in another thread...