PDA

View Full Version : Fun in the Woods

z118
10-06-2013, 07:48 PM
I headed out Saturday to the same wooded area that gave up some nice keepers last weekend. Once again I had very good luck, scoring a dateless Buff, a '64 quarter, a 1902 quarter, and a 1902 dime along with a few older wheats and a bit of clad. The Barber quarter was a nice surprise as it was found in what really seemed like the middle of nowhere. The weather was nice after some early rain and I must confess I had fun wandering around the woods in the company of no one but myself.

Sunday was supposed to be hot and rainy so I figured I would stick to the tot lots but that did not work out well... the few that did produce gave up an inordinate number of pennies and not much else. I did manage to check out a new wooded spot that I've been meaning to but it was nothing like I thought would be based on aerial shots and not at all conducive to detecting. I passed through an old cemetery on the way there and found an old headstone inscribed with the following:

Welcome my friends
to visit this place
and see my tomb
but not my face.

Therefore be ye also ready.

Perhaps it was the fall colors, the bleak weather, the stillness of the spot, or the combination of all three but I was very much struck by these words. I have to say they were better than anything I found with my detector that day. I recognize the last line from the Gospel but I was not able to find anything on the first part. I wonder if it was written by the deceased or a relative? The marker was from the early 1800's.

As always, happy hunting.

del
10-06-2013, 08:00 PM
congrats on the finds , great matching barbers |:cheering: |:cheering:

coinnut
10-06-2013, 08:16 PM
That place might be in the middle of nowhere now, but it was not before :yes: I wonder what it looked like when them Barbers were dropped :thinkingabout: Some more nice coins for the collection.

giant056
10-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Great haul you got there thumbsup01 a big congrats on the nice ole silvers :congrats:

bob_e99
10-07-2013, 06:40 AM
:congrats: on a very nice pair of Barber coins. |:cheering: |:cheering:
That place seems to be working well for you. Now I wish we had spent more time there when I was visiting :grin:

Seems like you had a nice weekend even if Sunday wasn't up to your high standards of finding keepers wherever you swing.

Continued good hunting.

Tony Two-Cent
10-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Very nice bunch of finds, Matt! It's always a great thrill to find a Barber Quarter, they don't turn up very often.

The inscription on that headstone is very interesting. I think cemeteries provide fascinating glimpses into our past. There really are a lot of unusual headstones and inscriptions out there if a person takes the time to look.

Thanks for the post and congrats on the finds! :clapping:

wisconsin digger
10-08-2013, 04:49 AM
Nice finds - love those Barbers. Wisconsin Digger

Lodge Scent
10-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Nice digs ! Those old headstones are cool thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
10-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Nice hunt and congrats on the silver, WTG