PDA

View Full Version : e-trac maiden voyage

randy
05-11-2010, 07:15 PM
I managed to get what I felt was a good deal on a used E-trac, and took it out for the first time today, to a park that has given up a mix of silvers, old coppers, tons of wheats, clad, and old and new trash, but doesn't have too much target density. Seemed like the perfect place to test drive it, until I show up and notice 3-6 inches of thick grass :bangahead01: :bangahead01: (can't they put their mowing schedules on the web? lol).

Anyway, managed all of 75 cents in clad, and no target deeper than 4 inches. Can hardly blame the machine, tho, due to the grass. I think it is going to be a huge learning curve coming from the White's system, but I think I'm going to like the machine in the long run.

What I like about it on first impression is the magic ground balancing and sensitivity setting, and it seems to run much quieter than the White's machines (this park is the worst in my area for EMI; in fact, one edge of the park the V3 is almost unusable; and you also have to GB the V3 alot here). What I didn't like was not getting target ID on rejected targets without going to another screen (I think this is a really nice feature of the V3). I also dug alot more bottlecaps today than I would have with the V3 -- I've come to be able to analyze them pretty well on the V3 and skip them -- perhaps I'll learn how to do so on the E-trac as well.

I intend to spend as many hours learning it as I did with the V3, then run them side by side, and then sell one (I can't afford two expensive machines in the long run). I'll admit I'm a little disappointed with White's coil issues and the upgrade situation, but don't want to get into a whinefest about it. I'll just see which machine is more fun for me and my style considering everything, and that's what its all about for me.

Well, I'm not sure why I posted for finding 75 cents in clad. Hopefully I can bother some of you with newbie E-trac questions :grin: So, wish me luck I guess.

Epi-hunter
05-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Sounds like a very good first voyage.

First thing to remember, coming from a White's machine, is that you cannot go too slow with the E-trac. I mean, sloooow. It might seem like you are losing time but the rewards will come.

As for bottle caps, I rarely dig them anymore. The site you are at, and depth, play a role too in whether to dig those tones. But generally they sound totally different than good targets. You will learn the difference very soon. I still dig an occasional screw cap but again, usually only if they are deep in an old area, and they do not sound the same as good targets.

What settings are you using?

Yes, the magic ground balancing and easy settings are wonderful, aren't they? :) The machine runs beautifully with very little manipulating, once you find your program.

As for depth, you will find that it has great depth, but what you are listening for (and watching for) will change the deeper the target. Still, it is very learnable.

The coil is excellent at finding shallow silver masked by trash/other metal targets. I'm not there yet, not sure I will ever be, but the machine is capable of it, if the user can learn it.

randy
05-11-2010, 07:51 PM
What settings are you using?

Just the stock coin program and a very aggressive discrimination pattern (page 113 of Andy's book). I didn't want to get overwhelmed the first time out (basically its a box CO 30-46 and FE 8-27, and a box for half dollars and silver dollars). It was so tight it discriminated out clad quarters, which were 11-47. I did spend a good bit of time in the quickmask tho to get a feel for all of the targets.

Epi-hunter
05-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Clad quarters will hit 46-47 CO and silver quarters a bit higher, although not necessarily. Silver dimes for me have hit in the same CO range but don't sound the same as clad quarters... but older silver dimes can hit really low, like in the CO 42-43 range even, especially worn barbers or seated.

FE on silver halves and dollars can be low (from what I hear :rolleyes: ) sometimes well below 8.

hoser
05-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Randy I have had mine for two months now and I find it is a lot easier to learn than my old DFX was. I hunted a yard today that drove the DFX nuts and had to back it way down. Not so with the Etrac. It did start to act up when I got there and once I hit noise cancel it leveled right out. I too find screw caps that are deep and for the most part flattened out so it gives a solid coin signal. But I guess I too will learn as time goes on. Give it a chance and I'll bet you will really love this machine A LOT! :yes:

angellionel
05-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Congrats on your new E-Trac, Randy! You will love the machine, but, as you already know, there is that pesky 'learning curve' we all need to tackle. With your detecting experience, though, it should be a very short one. :yes:

I think your approach is good, though once you get a good handle on the machine's 'language' you will want to use a more open discrimination pattern. Angie has provided some good pointers, and others, too, will be happy to share their experience and offer you tips on what has worked for them. Have fun!

coinnut
05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Hey Randy, my first bit of advice. Never block out 46 or 47. lol Silver has a wierd way of hitting off a bit depending on the trash near by. Those are silver numbers and large coppers. The only number in that range I block out is 50 Also half dollars can read 06-46, -47, or-48 So don't be afraid to open that screen up a bit more.