PDA

View Full Version : Rough day when your best find is a iron spoon

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Todd scoops me up at 6 am we take the hour ride to sites.wait half hour till rain stops. get a mile into the woods and >:\ anyone can be a weather man >:/ standing under trees for 1/2 hour getting soaked trying to wait for it to stop,i said Todd we are soaked as it is lets get up to the sites .soo off we went.the rain lightened up but still falling we get to 1st site.old site! popped a few buttons & my sweet old iron spoon! :hysterical: ,place was hit pretty good.then Todd comes over and says another one up the road Dave.We head up there i popped a couple more buttons.then Todds coil got hot,mine stayed cold.I dug what I think is the front door knob to the house alongside the cellar hole.it's got applied silver over 2 swans.parts are broken off with a squared iron shaft.we pack it up and go to look for 3rd site on the way back to car swinging down old road my display starts fading in and out.I shut machine off just before we get to last site.go to turn it on..no display grrrrr >{ so im swinging in i dont know what mode(wasn't my saved relic mode with tone id )
i'm walking around swinging blindly and get a repeatable signal.plunge my shovel in and i feel something get me on my arm.look around and yellow jackets all around i start yelling like a school girl again.flailing and running away.todds laughin again theres my machine laying near the yellow jacket hole with my headphones laying 3 feet away right on top of the hole.god knows how many times my headphones got stung as they were all over them. waited for them to calm down and Todd bravely went down and retrieved all my equipment.i think he did that cuz what a crappy day i had not to mention he's a good dude.
I day i'd love to forget and a day he will surely remember not only for what happened but he got 2 more 1sts to add to his ever growing impressive collection.
sorry for the long story but,I just want you all to see..not every hunt is treasure and we all have bad days...REALLY BAD DAYS! :hysterical:

pulltabsteve
10-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Awesome story! Very funny. rofl Sounds a lot like my hunts lately! Have you seen my toilet seat post? :yes: Hope the display on your machine starts working again once it dries out.

Bell-Two
10-07-2013, 09:58 AM
What is it with the bees lately they seem to have it out for us detectorist! Some good finds though.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-07-2013, 02:28 PM
What is it with the bees lately they seem to have it out for us detectorist! Some good finds though.
thanks! it seems they are most agressive during the fal.it may have to do qith the queen bearing young im not sure.may have to google that one :dontknow:

del
10-07-2013, 03:17 PM
wow , George an I really have to start detecting with you guys just for the entertainment factor alone . seems like every other weekend one of you guys is screaming throught the woods by insects or tripping over rocks or being scared by wild animals . lol rofl who says metal detecting isn't a contact sport :hysterical: :hysterical:

it was raining almost all weekend does your machine even have any kind of raingear to protect it Mr. Wise??

coinnut
10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Dan, we do have to watch the Davey and Toddy show :hysterical: Well Dave, it sucks that you had a crap day but at least you didn't get stung, well maybe only once ;) Next time will be better. But let us know when the next show will air and we'll video it thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-07-2013, 05:41 PM
wow , George an I really have to start detecting with you guys just for the entertainment factor alone . seems like every other weekend one of you guys is screaming throught the woods by insects or tripping over rocks or being scared by wild animals . lol rofl who says metal detecting isn't a contact sport :hysterical: :hysterical:

it was raining almost all weekend does your machine even have any kind of raingear to protect it Mr. Wise??

lol Dan & G no rain gear crying01 it starts up but none of the led screen works now :crying02:

del
10-07-2013, 05:45 PM
lol Dan & G no rain gear crying01 it starts up but none of the led screen works now :crying02:

you have to cover them up in the rains man , or you have an expensive walking cane that hums ;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-07-2013, 06:10 PM
you have to cover them up in the rains man , or you have an expensive walking cane that hums ;)

I called White's and they said it's a LCD chip or somethin that went on it.it still fires up but no display.common problem on the XLT's.she said send it in

del
10-07-2013, 06:19 PM
so what you using until it gets back or are you sitting the next few weekends out while Todd cleans out the western part of the state .

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-07-2013, 06:42 PM
so what you using until it gets back or are you sitting the next few weekends out while Todd cleans out the western part of the state .

well i still have 2 back up weapons my Silver Eagle & The Spectrum XLT :teasing:
ok enough ribbing me huh? now comment on my spectacular iron spoon and swan door knob bucko! :bop:

del
10-07-2013, 06:51 PM
well i still have 2 back up weapons my Silver Eagle & The Spectrum XLT :teasing:
ok enough ribbing me huh? now comment on my spectacular iron spoon and swan door knob bucko! :bop:

oh yes the impressive iron spoon :omg: , probably worth hundereds $$$$ :rolleyes: . well maybe on a few of the hokey detecting shows out there now lol lol

you going to be ready when Greg gets out here in about two weeks ?? finalize any of the dates , sites , ect.

OxShoeDrew
10-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Wow Dave that's the best iron spoon I've seen today! lol
Seriously, I hate to hear about you guys getting stung. We should have had a frost by now. :-\

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-07-2013, 07:07 PM
oh yes the impressive iron spoon :omg: , probably worth hundereds $$$$ :rolleyes: . well maybe on a few of the hokey detecting shows out there now lol lol

you going to be ready when Greg gets out here in about two weeks ?? finalize any of the dates , sites , ect.

nothin on my swan door knob? crying01 it's one of a kind man! probably worth at least a grand!
well the reason Todd and I went to these 3 sites was a test run to see if it was going to be productive for greg but that wasn't the case.now we are back to square one. we will do some research on our end and maybe we were hopin you could do some on your end? :poke: then we can collaborate our joint efforts soon.supposedly he will be freed up to detect on the weekend of the 26th & 27th of october.

Lodge Scent
10-08-2013, 04:30 PM
That is indeed a fine example of an iron spoon :cool: You are a wasp magnet Dave. If you could coax tree shillings out of the ground as easy as you do wasps, you would be a rich man thumbsup01

Thiltzy
10-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Dave that knob is pretty darn cool :cool: Maybe you should take your iron spoon to one of those antique buyers on those digging shows. You could probably get a couple grand for it :crazy:

del
10-08-2013, 05:41 PM
nothin on my swan door knob?

ah , ok ... atleast its not an Oxknob :dontknow:

milco
10-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Now that's a rough day! We all have them......well, maybe not quite that bad! Wow!

aloldstuff
10-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Just don't know what to say.....

1st the yellow jackets (again) then the display on your detector......it can only get better. Hang in there

The Rebel
10-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Hey Dave! I just joined up over here. Sheesh! Another run in with the bees.... Glad you ok. How's the knee doing these days?

Nice finds as usual!

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Hey Dave! I just joined up over here. Sheesh! Another run in with the bees.... Glad you ok. How's the knee doing these days?

Nice finds as usual!

Hey Roger nice to see ya! my knee is fine it's my ego that's damaged.these guys are bullies I tell ya! :hammer:

coinnut
10-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Hey Roger nice to see ya! my knee is fine it's my ego that's damaged.these guys are bullies I tell ya! :hammer:

We're not bullies...we are just tired of carrying you to all the sites :rolleyes:

The Rebel
10-09-2013, 06:39 PM

Good to see you as well. Now that fall is here we've gotta meet up and do a hunt! I've still got that musket stock in my trunk for ya.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-10-2013, 08:23 AM
We're not bullies...we are just tired of carrying you to all the sites :rolleyes:

carrying me? i'm too fat to be carried :hysterical: besides...you are lucky you have guys like us with you! who would find all your stuff you drop & lose huh? :poke: huh? :poke: HUH? :behave: cell phones,keys,GPS units,POUCHES WITH YOUR FINDS STILL IN IT <} :hysterical: rofl

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Good to see you as well. Now that fall is here we've gotta meet up and do a hunt! I've still got that musket stock in my trunk for ya.

sounds good Rog! maybe you,frank ,todd & I someday.we'll see what happens

coinnut
10-10-2013, 08:49 AM
carrying me? i'm too fat to be carried :hysterical: besides...you are lucky you have guys like us with you! who would find all your stuff you drop & lose huh? :poke: huh? :poke: HUH? :behave: cell phones,keys,GPS units,POUCHES WITH YOUR FINDS STILL IN IT <} :hysterical: rofl

:dontknow: I have no idea what you are talking about :embarrassed: lol I haven't lost anything in a long while, including Dan thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-10-2013, 06:25 PM
:dontknow: I have no idea what you are talking about :embarrassed: lol I haven't lost anything in a long while, including Dan thumbsup01

good to hear! bout time ya got your crap together bucko! :bananadance: