PDA

View Full Version : No silver but a cool badge and some wheats

hoser
05-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I woke up a little late this afternoon (I'm working graves) and the weatherman said rain for today. I looked outside and it had not strated yet so I decided to try my luck for a couple of hours or until I got chased off from the rain. I hunted a house I had done before with the DFX and wanted to see what it had missed. I started with the curb strips as they always give up a handfull of change. On my second pass down the strip I got a good solid quarter signal and it indicated it was around eight inches deep. I dug down about four inches and I found a 10p rusted nail:huh:thinkingabout:? Dang! I thought I had iron masked out. I passed the coil back over the hole and the signal still remained. Another four inches and I found what I thought was a piece of flattened copper tubing. As the dirt fell off I noticed it had the shape of a badge so into my finds pouch it went. I thought it might be a kids badge. When I got home and started cleaning it I was pleasently surprised to see it was an old chauffeur's badge from 1917. These are the things I really love to find as it has a number stamped on it and if there are records that date back that far I just might be able to pin a name to it. Let the fun beguin. In addition I found five more wheaties. 1917,18,20,40,&45D. Thats about the time mother nature said that was all the fun I was gonna have for the day so I left as the rain started coming down. I will be going back as soon as I get the chance as I didn't even start on the yard yet.

angellionel
05-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Wow! Now that is a beauty! What a great find! You did very well with the old wheat cents too. thumbsup01

Spike
05-11-2010, 08:21 PM
That is a neat find and good detecting. thumbsup01

Geodawn
05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
I'd love to find one of those - congrats! It's like a class ring...you can trace it back to someone. Really cool!

coinnut
05-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Great badge :shocked04: I think that is one of the oldest ones I've seen. Great condition too. Definitely a better find! I hope you can pin a name to it.

Beefcake
05-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Awesome badge Bill! I've always wanted to find one of them...still waiting! Nice hunt!

sjv
05-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Wow never saw a badge like that before, nice! Maybe there's some silver around also. Think about it , what kind of person would have a Chauffeur back then. Must be someone with money. Was it at a cellar hole?

z118
05-12-2010, 08:31 AM
That badge is an amazing find! Congrats. Items like that are some of the sweeted finds.

tanacat
05-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Very cool! Wow, 1917... I found a 1941 Ky driver's liscence badge that I'm very fond of...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_4624.jpg

Ill Digger
05-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Cool find! 8)
My two huntin' partners have each found chauffeur's badges.
One last summer and the other about two weeks ago.
Like you said it's finds like that , that are special,better than just another coin
Good luck with the reserch!!
Congrats :grin:

tanacat
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Oh meant to say I tried hunting down the owner of my badge by talking to local dmv, drivers liscensing, county clerk, dept. of trasportation, to our capitol , etc...
I was transferred to prob 10 people! They were all interested and helpful, said one guy might be able to help, have access and time to look through archives. He's spose to call me back. Good luck on your search.

Schrecky
05-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Cool badge, way to go

hoser
05-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Tana you have a very cool badge as well. I have two calls out right now to see if I can locate the family. If they are still local I may give it to them to remember their relative by. I'm pretty sure the guy who owned this one is gone by now. :-\