PDA

View Full Version : I knew that there had to be silver......and I was right//CLEANED COIN

aloldstuff
10-09-2013, 12:55 PM
I have been having some physical ailments lately so my hunting time has really been cut short. Today I could not stand it any longer, I was going detecting, pain or not.

Decided to go to a field that Rob and I had detected recently. I had gotten 2 LC's, some gold gilt buttons and a few wheats while Rob had gotten a nice CWT and a beautiful 1879 IH plus some wheats. But where was the silver?

The second hole dug today produced the tiny seated 1/2 dime, only my 2nd one. It's a 1854 and not in to good of shape. Also managed a 1935 wheat.
Also got myself what I think is a cufflink? and a lead seal.

The big item is a mystery to me, so any help would be appreciated. It's about 4 tall and at the top has the word CLERGY.
In the middle is a cross and at the bottom is says...PRO DEO EF HOMINE

It's either brass or copper.

Thanks for reading and HH

Tony Two-Cent
10-09-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm glad you are feeling good enough to get out for a hunt, Al. :yes:

That half dime is awesome! I'm so jealous, I have never found one. I bet that one would clean up better.

I'm not sure what that clergy item is. Perhaps it was attached to a vehicle or buggy to identify the driver as a clergyman. :dontknow:

I think the phrase at the bottom is Latin and means For God and Man.

Congrats on the great finds! |:cheering:

del
10-09-2013, 04:19 PM
hey Al , congrats on the half dime :smitten: the other item next to the lead seal does look like a cufflink button . anything on the front , those kind usually have a very weak design. congrats and glad you got out , hope you didn't pay for it after Al.

Dan

MassDirtFisher
10-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Nice to see you get back in your element. Nice 1/2 dime. Congrats on the sweet little silver. Happy hunting Al!!

coinnut
10-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Half dime is a great find. :clapping: They don't come around very often. Glad you got out for a little while.

Thiltzy
10-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Great hunt Al! Love the half dime, I have yet to dig one myself and the clergy relic is very interesting. Nice to see you post some finds again :clapping:

aloldstuff
10-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Great hunt Al! Love the half dime, I have yet to dig one myself and the clergy relic is very interesting. Nice to see you post some finds again :clapping:

Thanks for the kind words. I thought I was very lucky to find the 1st one about 4 years ago. This one rang up as a 55 VDI on the V3i. Does anybody have any info on the clergy relic.....:huh:thinkingabout:

Fire Fighter 43
10-09-2013, 08:35 PM
It's good to hear your doing better and congrats on the nice digs, WTG |:cheering:

Ill Digger
10-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Good to see your able to get out and do a little :detecting: Al!
And I gotta echo some of the others here... still lookin' for my first half dime. :envious:
Congrats! :grin:

giant056
10-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Great score on the half dime Al thumbsup01 like few people said I've never found one before either, I had already been metal detecting for over 20 years when one day I was out detecting with my brother only a couple years into his detecting career and he found a real beauty. I've found several of the Canadian 5 cent silvers (fishscales) that are about the same size but no U.S. half dime >{

aloldstuff
10-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Great score on the half dime Al thumbsup01 like few people said I've never found one before either, I had already been metal detecting for over 20 years when one day I was out detecting with my brother only a couple years into his detecting career and he found a real beauty. I've found several of the Canadian 5 cent silvers (fishscales) that are about the same size but no U.S. half dime >{

Well, you've got me beat in the fish scale department, I've only found one. Your half dime might be just a few plugs from the last one.

zrickkid
10-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Man those half dimes are so small. No wonder a lot of them dont get found. :dontknow:

RobW
10-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Awesome finds Al :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:

Maybe that clergy medallion thingy is an OMEN.... :shocked03:..... rofl rofl rofl rofl

imagearhead
10-14-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure how much this might help with the plaque but it is in Latin. Meaning, For God and Man. The clergy label is considered a label to religious practices. I do know that Union College of Kentucky has a very similar looking design. Although theirs is a medallion. It is a Integrity of Character medallion. Maybe it had history there or with the same denomination that they teach.

aloldstuff
10-15-2013, 05:36 AM
I'm not sure how much this might help with the plaque but it is in Latin. Meaning, For God and Man. The clergy label is considered a label to religious practices. I do know that Union College of Kentucky has a very similar looking design. Although theirs is a medallion. It is a Integrity of Character medallion. Maybe it had history there or with the same denomination that they teach.

Thanks for that info, I'll have to look up Union College of Kentucky.

By the way, like your signature.

tanacat
10-15-2013, 06:29 AM
Congrats on the half-dime Al! :cheering: :clapping: :happy: I'm glad you got out for a bit- the other day. And hopefully since
then too :yes: